Should we expect a Manufacturer to provide links free of charge?

Poll: Should we expect a Manufacturer to provide links free of charge?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: Should we expect a Manufacturer to provide links free of charge?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Should we expect a Manufacturer to provide links free of charge?

please explain your choices even if you vote :)

p.s poll is public :)

Re: Should we expect a Manufacturer to provide links free of charge?

I believe they should only if it is a new purchase. You shouldn't have to pay extra to make a watch fit you that you bought new from an AD. I could see the companies that sell on the Internet getting abused though from those that don't really need the extra links but would request them and then sell them to others.

Quote Originally Posted by smurfe View Post
    I believe they should only if it is a new purchase. You shouldn't have to pay extra to make a watch fit you that you bought new from an AD. I could see the companies that sell on the Internet getting abused though from those that don't really need the extra links but would request them and then sell them to others.
    yes, i see your point:)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

With a new, warrantied purchase from an AD - free of charge, fitted and installed by AD. As many as you need for a comfortable fit + one for future weight gain (speaking from experience here )

Two reasons:

1. You only spend the money for a new item that fits - whether it's a watch, a suit, shoes, etc.

2. If you don't get the links you need when you buy the watch new, it's tough getting them later (speaking from experience here ) I have never understood why most manufacturers don't even sell additional single links like they do complete bracelets or straps?

I think Citizen does it right!

I bought a Citizen Skyhawk AT w/ SS bracelet from a fellow forum member (thanks again, Leon) and I needed an extra link.

I called Citizen and they directed me to the California service center.

The service center asked for the movement/case numbers on the back of the watch and then for the serial number.

To my surprise, they said I could have 3 links for free - not even a charge for shipping - and if I needed more than three, they would be $6.50 each.

I assume, although I did not ask, that by having the serial number they will not inadvertently ship more than 3 free links per watch. Even so, $6.50 per link seems to be a fair price.

I wish all manufacturers had as good customer service as Citizen

On most high-end watches the cost of the bracelet can be a significant portion on the final price, whether justified or not. On the Girard-Perregaux Sea Hawk II Pro the optional Ti bracelet, by itself, costs something like $4800! No AD is going to throw in a couple of spare links at that price, nor should they be expected to.

On low to mid-price stuff, then maybe. But I agree, only if buying new from an AD. Used, forget it.
    Martin

It's already policy that two links are free from most companies. TAG, Omega, Breitling and Cartier are an example. This on purchasr from an
    AD when new. TAG bracelets seem to run small.

Price of a link for a Piaget Mini Squaredancer, 742 USD.

If we had them in our stash, our known customers got them on a .

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by smurfe View Post
    I second that.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by lordsinclair View Post
    On most high-end watches the cost of the bracelet can be a significant portion on the final price, whether justified or not. On the Girard-Perregaux Sea Hawk II Pro the optional Ti bracelet, by itself, costs something like $4800! No AD is going to throw in a couple of spare links at that price, nor should they be expected to.

On low to mid-price stuff, then maybe. But I agree, only if buying new from an AD. Used, forget it.
    I was lucky when I got the bracelet for my GP Seahawk II Pro that it had enough links I sudder to think what they would have cost. That was by the way IMO the worst buy for a watch bracelet that I have ever seen and I got mine for 'only' $2900. I usually have to buy one or two extras. I got free ones for my Grand Seiko and Citizen. The dealer gave me a two for one deal on the links for my Submariner but had to charge for the two tone 18K link for my GMT II Master, ouch $140. I don't mind if they charge for them, in fact it seems only fair. But I have bought them cheaper off of other owners that don't need them.

I believe the AD should be able to do what it takes to ensure a new watch fits properly going out the door; this means adding or removing whatever number of links are needed. If it doesn't fit the wrist where you plan to wear it, what's the use of getting it (that is, unless you really did want an awkwardly-shaped pocket watch)?

For used watches, it's been a toss-up. The experiences I've had were mixed, and usually had to do with the age, the popularity of the particular model, and sometimes the link material itself. If it's new enough or popular enough (and this can vary), you can oftentimes get one or two links free of charge through the manufacturer, and anything beyond that is pay-per-link. Older models may be all pay-per-link, and you'll usually get charged for all links with precious metals in them regardless of their age (I doubt there are any manufacturers who are just going to give away gold, silver, or titanium after the initial purchase).

Here's my question back to everyone: if you go through the service center to get the links, do you send the watch in and have them install the links, or do you have them send you the links and do it yourself, or do you have them send you the links and then take it to an AD or other jeweler/watchmaker and have them do it?

Mike

The Collection: Too many to list
    The Wish List: Still too many to list
    The Grail: Bremont ALT1-P (blue dial)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information