Show me a watch that does NOT have excellent fit and finish, or forever stop talking about it
Like Tree245Likes

Thread: Show me a watch that does NOT have excellent fit and finish, or forever stop talking about it

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Show me a watch that does NOT have excellent fit and finish, or forever stop talking about it

Too often I hear blah blah watch sets itself apart with excellent fit and finish.... Having earned an engineering degree, I still cannot tell any difference in terms of fit and finish between my $7000 watch and my $170 watch...

I mean for cars, I get it, there can be some gaps between pieces of your dash, but for a watch, how can a reasonable watch have issues with fit and finish? They all fit without gaps/extrusions, and polished is polished is polished (microscopically)

Or are people just saying that to justify their latest purchase?

Show me some reasonable examples of bad fit and finish on a reasonably priced/used watch or forever stop mentioning that as a factor.

watches with a bullet hole and SEIKO BRACELETS EXCLUDED
    ffritz, fish70, chuasam and 2 others like this.

Re: Show me a watch that does NOT have excellent fit and finish, or forever stop talking about it

It is most certainly an overused term used for just about everything. "Fit and finish" is great on many of the members here who just got a new $75 watch and great on those who just got a new Patek. That's why it is indeed a useless term ..... I've probably said it myself I'll admit.

I used to have a poljot the rattled. Not the bracelet, the watch.
    It ran fine though.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Show me a watch that does NOT have excellent fit and finish, or forever stop talking about it

Search for chapter ring misalignment.

Or compare the polished finish and crisp lines of a Grand Seiko to that of a Seiko 5.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

A good indicator is the fit of solid end links. Too often there is play. I see play on endlinks of some seikos (turtle), omega seamaster professional ceramic (2 examples at the ad) and my casio oceanus. My sub and black bay 36 and sarb033 have rock solid end links however, which I'm very satisfied with.

Another point I'll like to make is the crown function. Does the screw down function (if present) engage easily? Does screwing the crown down happen easily or do you need to press the crown against the case to force it to engage? A good comparison is the original skx crown (horrible) vs the sarb059 crown (much better) vs the damasko (heaven) vs rolex/tudor (butter)

Third, fit and finish shows in bracelets. But you requested not to discuss bracelets so I'll leave it at that

Fourth, bezel action. Does it squeak, is the back play, does the bezel clicker allow good hitting of all markers and in between markers for 120 click bezels? My skx and sub have great bezel action; the skx is smooth and the click activates reassuringly, the sub is in a class of its own. My ska371 however has a tinny sounding click and the bezel has significant play.

Fifth, finishing. Is the brushing deep? Are the polished surfaces shiny? Are the margins where different surfaces meet defined? My sub has the best brushing of all the watches I own, with the appearance of 3 dimensionality, while the Hamilton khaki 38 which I had had brushing on the main case which ran concentric, while the bracelet end link was vertical! A clash of brushed surfaces didn't endear it to me. The sarb 033 is commonly cited as a watch with good fit and finish and the case work is top notch with even brushing, polished bevels, indented polished surfaces

Sorry for the rambling post, but that is how I personally judge watches on fit and finish.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by UAconcorde View Post
    Too often I hear blah blah watch sets itself apart with excellent fit and finish.... Having earned an engineering degree, I still cannot tell any difference in terms of fit and finish between my $7000 watch and my $170 watch...

I mean for cars, I get it, there can be some gaps between pieces of your dash, but for a watch, how can a reasonable watch have issues with fit and finish? They all fit without gaps/extrusions, and polished is polished is polished (microscopically)

Or are people just saying that to justify their latest purchase?

Show me some reasonable examples of bad fit and finish on a reasonably priced/used watch or forever stop mentioning that as a factor.

watches with a bullet hole and SEIKO BRACELETS EXCLUDED
    Please post good pictures of your $7,000 and $170 watches.

The bigger issue is that you might have purchased the wrong $7,000 watch.

If you really can't see a difference, you are truly fortunate and shouldn't want us to enlighten you. It will save you tons of money.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Just say no to the NATO.

Quote Originally Posted by UAconcorde View Post
    If you have an engineering degree and you can't see the difference in finish between these two watches:

Name:  070.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  3.05 MB

All I can say is that I'm happy to have achieve MY degree in another Alma Mater.

Fit is easy. Some watches look great but are awkward or uncomfortable on the wrist. I don't think there is an essential dichotomy that is expensive =good fit, cheap=bad fit...but I sure would not spend 7000 on something that felt awkward on the wrist.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information