Show them off or hide them?

View Poll Results: In real life, do you show off your best looking watches, or hide them, for your own enjoyment?

Voters
74. This poll is closed
  • You wear them? I keep mine in the safe.

0 0%
  • Yes, my Preciousessss are for me only!

2 2.70%
  • Sometimes, I don't wear my best watches, for safety reasons, but otherwise, I wear them everywhere.

23 31.08%
  • I wear all my watches, where-ever, whenever. Not a concern either way.

46 62.16%
  • I like to flash 'em cause I got 'em!

3 4.05%
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Show them off or hide them?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Show them off or hide them?

Do you ever feel like wearing a watch that does not draw any attention to you or the watch itself? I know that WUS people say that for the most part, other people in the general population do not pay attention to what watch you wear. But I can't help myself but feel self-conscious if I'm wearing a watch that I deem nice looking, like I want to draw attention to myself by wearing it. Sometimes, when I go to social events, I prefer to wear my beater, "ugly" watch instead of my better or flashier looking watches.

e.g. I wear this to work on most days or to casual, social gatherings (Picture stolen from Internet, but I have this watch which is previously my Grandfather's):
    Name:  SeikoAutoRelaySilverX.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  86.4 KB

And I save the one below for wearing where-ever else, for my own enjoyment, not for others to see (except for WUS, of course!) (Again, picture stolen from Internet, but I got this watch recently from my Dad who got it from my Grandfather. The blue sunburst dial is quite nice, but I'm sure it's not as nice as Grand Seiko. Love the high contrast white hands/blue dial. Yes, I get a lot of gifts or hand-me-downs.):

Name:  7T32-6E40.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  65.4 KB
    Last edited by rdoder; July 10th, 2014 at 22:56.

Re: Show them off or hide them?

Trust me...I've been wearing watches 50 years...People(American) just don't pay attention.
    Maybe Canadians do. I know Asian and Europeans do (pay attention)
    Last edited by little big feather; July 10th, 2014 at 23:13.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

T logical side of me agrees with Little Big Feather, however, the irrational side knows exactly what the OP is talking about. I pay WAY too much attention to what's on my wrist to think that no one else notices. For me, purposely not wearing a watch is going be based on whether the style/coloring (like my bright yellow luminox colormark) completely clashes with what I'm wearing (like a suit) or if the brand is too obviously showy. And frankly, this would really only apply to a Tag, Rolex, and maybe Breitling. Enough people know that those 3 brands make what the average Joe thinks are hideously expensive watches. Just because someone isn't saying something to your face, absolutely doesn't mean you aren't being silently judged. Now, a lot of VERY expensive watches that people around here talk about getting if they had endless money would go completely under the radar. But if I ever got a DSSD, I would be careful what environment I wore the watch. I wouldn't be so worried if I got a B&R regulator or Chopard Mille Miglia series watch---both of which are obviously hideously expensive to most people in the world.
    rdoder and shnjb like this.
    Have: Alpina Startimer Classic; Casio G-Shock GDF100/Altithermo; Citizen Navihawk A-T; Hamilton Jazzmaster Maestro; Heuer ​Monza; Luminox Colormark & 3000 series; Omega SMPq; Oris Diver Small Second hand date; Rolex ExpII(w) ;Seiko Prospex GMT SUN023P1; Tissot PRC-200; Victorinox Dive Master 500
    Want: Someting dressy; Doxa Sub series

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I get more compliments on my $75 seiko than on my tag. People don't care.

i have the same kinetic seiko in your first picture. Wore it everyday for years until I got another watch. Picked it up the other day and gave it a few shakes, now it ticks twice about every other second. I guess it isn't worth fixing.
    rdoder likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker3434 View Post
    I get more compliments on my $75 seiko than on my tag. People don't care.

i have the same kinetic seiko in your first picture. Wore it everyday for years until I got another watch. Picked it up the other day and gave it a few shakes, now it ticks twice about every other second. I guess it isn't worth fixing.
    That's the low charge indicator. Keep shakin' baby!

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    That's the low charge indicator. Keep shakin' baby!
    I guess I had forgotten that. I just assumed it was broken. I'll try to find it and charge it up. If it's still able to run strong after all those years of wear (then in a drawer) I'll be pretty impressed.

I wear whatever I want wherever I want unless I'm going on holiday. Then, I take a beater watch that will handle anything I throw at it.

Also, my watches all fly well under the radar. I may think differently if that were not the case.
    Last edited by wschofield3; July 10th, 2014 at 23:56.
    vinylgreek, rdoder and hayday like this.

I feel the opposite - I know that people aren't generally looking at my wrist but just in case I sure don't want to have something ugly on it.
    Suppose I was in an accident and I got wheeled into the ER with a ratty old Timex on a sweaty NATO! No way, I leave the crap at home and wear the good ones all the time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I wear my watches "wisely", ie, depending on the circumstances expected...
    rdoder, wschofield3 and hayday like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Donf View Post
    I feel the opposite - I know that people aren't generally looking at my wrist but just in case I sure don't want to have something ugly on it.
    Suppose I was in an accident and I got wheeled into the ER with a ratty old Timex on a sweaty NATO! No way, I leave the crap at home and wear the good ones all the time.
    Haha, like dirty underwear!
    wschofield3 and Donf like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information