The silly little things you notice...
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: The silly little things you notice...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The silly little things you notice...

We often confuse what we wish for with what is.
    ― Neil Gaiman, MirrorMask

First off, I have to say that my participation on WUS is the only reason why this sort of thing even entered my mind. So y'all are to blame for this foolishness. This is not the kind of pointless stuff I think about on my own; I have other pointless stuff I wonder about absent y'all's intervention.

Well, last weekend as I was waiting for a flight to depart, I got bored and started counting the clicks to the bezel on one of my dive watches. I did it once and it was 23 clicks for 15 minutes. I did the math and that meant 92 around the whole dial. I thought to myself, "Self, that sure is bizarre. Why in the name of little green men would 'they' make a 92 click bezel? What could possibly be the point of 1.53 clicks per minute?"

I recognized right off that 1, 5 and 3 add to 9, so I knew that 1.53 is a multiple of .3, .03, .003, .9, .09, .009, and so on, and that the corresponding easy division/multiplication (3s and 9s) would involve variations of 17 and 51. Cool for arithmetic games, but for a diver underwater I doubted that'd be of any use at all. So I figured "it must be me" and clicked all the way round the whole bezel...It was indeed 92 clicks all the way around the dial; it was not "just me." LOL I even did it a second time to make sure.

At that point, I began thinking "well this is just f*ckin' stupid! WTF??? Ninety clicks -- 3 minutes for every two clicks -- is weird, but I can see where the easy math of it could make it manageable, if not necessarily sensible or as easy as it could be. I couldn't think of any reason for 92 clicks around a bezel. Maybe I'm looking for a rational explanation where none exists? I don't know.

My Questions to You:
    -- What is the point of 92 clicks around a bezel?
    -- Do you have any watch related "silliness" that you discovered by chance?

All the best.

Never hide things from hardcore thinkers. They get more aggravated, more provoked by confusion than the most painful truths.
    ― Criss Jami
    Last edited by tony20009; April 7th, 2015 at 22:22.
    Zeroedout and busmatt like this.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

Re: The silly little things you notice...

It sounds like a manufacturer's defect or possibly some kind of slippage where there are a couple of half-clicks in there somewhere.

I don't understand the point of a 90 click bezel either. 120, 60, or friction make sense. Nothing else does.

If you want to feel better about it, just remember the actual point of the bezel rotating is for it to line up with your minute hand where it actually is, and yours can. It can't be more than half a minute off. If you need to time something perfectly, that's what a chronograph is for.
    tony20009 likes this.

Isn't it obvious? Whoever made your watch is a huge Reggie White fan (RIP Reggie!)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Monocle View Post
    It sounds like a manufacturer's defect or possibly some kind of slippage where there are a couple of half-clicks in there somewhere.

I don't understand the point of a 90 click bezel either. 120, 60, or friction make sense. Nothing else does.

If you want to feel better about it, just remember the actual point of the bezel rotating is for it to line up with your minute hand where it actually is, and yours can. It can't be more than half a minute off. If you need to time something perfectly, that's what a chronograph is for.
    TY I have to agree with you, zero (friction), 60 and multiples of 60 clicks make sense. Nothing else is all that rational to me either.

I did a bit more investigating than my OP describes. I don't think it's slippage, but I suppose it could be; I did the best I could to test for that, that is until I realized just how silly I was being to wonder about it in the first place. LOL. At any rate, I rotated the thing around the watch a total of three times, and I twice counted the clicks between each 45 degree arc of the dial -- 23 click each time -- even using "off" start and end points for the arcs.

I'm a "desk diver" at best, so you know I don't really care, other than as a watchie, whether it lines up or not. LOL

Whatever the problem/answer to the question, it's a "first world problem." LOL I'll "get by." <winks>

All the best.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

OK - time to name the watch brand and model and see if anyone else has the same bezel click count.

Out of curiosity, I just counted on my dive watches and got 60 and 120, which is what I expected.

Maybe it's something odd like the tooling the use to make the bezel was set for certain sizes of detentes, and they kept that the same even as they made different sized bezels?
    tony20009 likes this.
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Jaquest Droz Grande Seconde, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

What make/model is the watch? I'm just curious.

Milgauss has lighting bolt hand o_O!!

Just trying to act silly:P
    tony20009 likes this.

I'm too lazy to go all the way around, but my Deep Blue each click was 30 seconds (30 clicks to get 15 minutes).
    tony20009 likes this.
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Swatch | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |
    Mulling Over - | Minase Horizon | Reservoir |
    On deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 8 Dark Side of the Moon |
    Waiting to be on deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary |

Quote Originally Posted by dbostedo View Post
    OK - time to name the watch brand and model and see if anyone else has the same bezel click count.

Out of curiosity, I just counted on my dive watches and got 60 and 120, which is what I expected.

Maybe it's something odd like the tooling the use to make the bezel was set for certain sizes of detentes, and they kept that the same even as they made different sized bezels?
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumMonkey View Post
    What make/model is the watch? I'm just curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyhead123 View Post
    I'm too lazy to go all the way around, but my Deep Blue each click was 30 seconds (30 clicks to get 15 minutes).
    Okay...so my Deep Blue T100 Flat Tube is 120 clicks. My Deep Blue Master Explorer is 92 clicks.

I knew that was the case as well, which is part of what makes it all the more puzzling....

All the best.
    Cheers,
    Tony

― A.A. Milne

I have to agree with tony, it has to be the fault of this forum. I often know how he feels, and we weren't all this way to begin with, were we?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information