Similar watches (B&M, Ham)
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By AgentVX
  • 1 Post By sleepyhead123
  • 1 Post By jilgiljongiljing

Thread: Similar watches (B&M, Ham)

Similar watches (B&M, Ham)

A few weeks ago I spent some happy hours exploring some of my city's (Melbourne, Australia) Swiss watch boutiques. I discovered that I very much liked the Baume & Mercier Classima series: the 8791 model with the guilloché dial and blue hands looked good, and more to the point, felt good to wear. However, in my current penurious state though, it's unpurchasable (Australian $2900 from the ADs here). Then just recently I discovered that the Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic, with the light dial, looks almost as good (not blue hands, though). As you see here:

Name:  jazzclass.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  28.8 KB
    And the Hamilton is about four times cheaper than the B&M: gray market prices are about $1900 for the B&M, as opposed to $480 for the Hamilton. Sort of makes me wonder about my original thoughts about B&M. I'm not sure about B&M in general - are they considered worth their prices? For watches in the low-end luxury brackets, people seem to prefer German (Sinn, Stowa, Nomos) than Swiss. I must say, though, finding the Hamilton was a surprise - to me it's a very elegant watch, and at a very reasonable price.

Re: Similar watches (B&M, Ham)

Have you tried on the Hamilton? Take your time to think about it and go for the one that makes you happy. I've been wearing that B&M for about 9 months now with zero regrets, but I have a strong preference for blued hands and roman numeral markings so the choice was more straightforward. It may not be the best bang for buck, I'll admit, but I also had a more liberal budget for my search.

Just to throw out another option. There's a forum member who has one of these, made in Australia, it does have similar aesthetics: Melbourne Watch Company - Flinders White Dial
    SKrishnan likes this.

Are B&M worth the price? Surely you know the answer to that question is subjective. If you view the Hammy as substantively equal, and if each has ETA inside, they probably are just that, B&M isn't worth the price. If you see the B&M as substantively different from the Hammy, it's worth the price difference.

Limes also makes a watch, the Pharos, that looks similar and I think it's priced between the two watched you pictured. Some Pharos have all markers, some Roman numerals and markers, and others Arabic numbers and markers. I'm not sure which arrangement is the current design...you'll have to check their site/web store. Their Chyros is also somewhat similar, albeit less so.

All the best.

Limes Pharos

Limes Chyros
    Last edited by tony20009; August 28th, 2014 at 13:53. Reason: Added pics
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Obligatory suggestion from Japan.....

Name:  1128263d1371733024-traded-citizen-signature-grand-classic-silver-blue-straps-8571063971_772572bd.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  163.8 KB

Citizen NB0040-58a. You won't find this one at Angus & Coote though :P

EDIT: I see you weren't really looking for other suggestions (Sorry, it's a habit of mine....At least it wasn't a SARB)
    Err, I'd take the Hammy in this case. The B&M is a nice looking watch, but looking at its specs (25 jewel Swiss made automatic = Eta 2824) and all the pics on the net show an Etachoc shock which is not really what I'd like to see on a AU$2000 watch. Little things, but yeah....
    Last edited by Domo; August 28th, 2014 at 11:59.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentVX View Post
    Have you tried on the Hamilton? Take your time to think about it and go for the one that makes you happy. I've been wearing that B&M for about 9 months now with zero regrets, but I have a strong preference for blued hands and roman numeral markings so the choice was more straightforward. It may not be the best bang for buck, I'll admit, but I also had a more liberal budget for my search.

Just to throw out another option. There's a forum member who has one of these, made in Australia, it does have similar aesthetics: Melbourne Watch Company - Flinders White Dial
    If you like blue hands and roman numerals have you seen this one?
    Attached Images Attached Images

No watch is worth the price. You buy the watch for desire. In that sense B&M can be over or underpriced depending on the person.
    tony20009 likes this.
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |
    Mulling Over - | Minase Horizon | Reservoir |
    On deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary |

The B&M is finished and put together to a much higher standard and level than the Hamilton. If you hold them next to each other, it is very easy to tell which is the "better" watch. That said , is that worth the price difference to you? Only you can answer that.
    jpfgiii likes this.

We are offering $25AUD off our Flinders model for WUS members. Use the code WUSF71 during checkout

Thread Information