Sinn 556 i b vs Oris Big Crown ProPilot
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Sinn 556 i b vs Oris Big Crown ProPilot

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sinn 556 i b vs Oris Big Crown ProPilot

Deciding between the two both blue dials.

Which would you get?

Re: Sinn 556 i b vs Oris Big Crown ProPilot

Had to look up the Oris.
    OMG.
    Definitely the Sinn. That Oris is one ugly chunk. But tastes are subjective.
    I’ve never been a fan of Oris since researching them in the 1980’s, but there seems to be a lot of Oris Worship on WUS lately, reminding me of the days when Seiko seemed to be WUS’ answer to every thread.

Don't go with your "first responder" (where did that come from--comments on a watch he has no experience whatsoever with?)--the Oris Big Crown ProPilot is quite popular here, well thought of by many folks--the only drawback I have heard is that some people don't like the ribbed bezel, while others see that as a plus. One thing Oris does better than most is their blue dials. At 41 mm it is of course bigger than the Sinn. I've owned the Sinn, a nice watch, but for me, a little too bland. I have owned other Oris watches, including a TT1 with a blue dial--one of my favorites, and one of my five watches in total in my rotation, which came about after going through more than 200 watches over 20 years. But, that's me--this is something you really should decide for yourself--start by handling both in person, if possible--the difference in size alone could make a difference--it did for me, in addition to the bland overall design of the 556.
    Last edited by timefleas; June 7th, 2019 at 17:52.
    Overwound likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Oris.

I think the grey one looks the best.

I own both. The Sinn is definitely more versatile. It can dress up, down, take a beating on the trail and then head out for a night on the town. The no dates with the applied indices are the way to go. 200m WR, top grade 2824, beautiful satin finish, perfectly proportioned at 38mm and a watch truly designed for strap changes. I find it pretty unbeatable.

As Timefleas said, they can be a bit bland. I bought the white dial LE and absolutely adore it, but I am not sure I would feel the same with any of the other colors. I actually originally showed up to try on the blue dial, but found it looked almost purple the majority of the time which I found unappealing. Also, I think sun burst looks terrible on a watch that is solely brushed without any polish. It just looks incongruous to me.

As for the Oris, I actually love the design. The turbine edged bezel is brilliant and unique in a crowded field of rehashed designs and it adds just the right amount of polish to a brushed watch. As usual when it comes to an Oris the bracelet is incredible (not a big fan of the Sinn fine link, a bit scratchy, plus it has a butterfly clasp that has popped on me a few times), has a solid clasp, and the blue on the dial isn't too vibrant and doesn't feel out of place on an otherwise toolish watch. It is a big, masculine hunk of steel, and has definite wrist presence (but wears smaller because of its curved lugs).

Which to choose? No idea, that is why I have both. To sum it up, the Sinn is undoubtedly the better GADA, but the Oris is more unique and offers something different if that is what you're looking for.
    Omega: Aqua Terra 220.10.41.21.03.001
    Grand Seiko: SBGV223, SBGV205
    Oris: Aquis, Pro Pilot
    Sinn: LE 556i
    Longines: Conquest V.H.P.
    G Shock: MTG-B1000D-1A,
    GW-9400-3, GMW-B5000D-1, GMW-B5000GD-1, GX-56BB, GW-B5600GZ-1, GW-B5600FB-4JR, GW-M5610MW-7JF, GW-M5610MD-7JF, GW-B5600BC-1ER, GW-B5600-2ER, GW-B5600HR-1, GW-B5600AR-1, GW-5000-1JF, GM-5600B-3, GA-2100-4AER, DW-5600SK-1, DW-5600SB-3, DW-5600SB-2

Toughie for someone who likes both watches but I think I would have to come down on the side of the Oris.

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    Don't go with your "first responder" (where did that come from--comments on a watch he has no experience whatsoever with?)
    Dang it! My bad...I forgot that everyone who offers an opinion on WUS must have experience with the specific watches in question. Good catch!
    ljb187 and 41Mets like this.

I have not held either of them, and from spec's and pictures, will not own either.

I'm a huge fan of Sinn, own both a 556A and 6068NK, but the 556i models leave me flat, and no-date is a deal-killer. Not the style you're looking for, but if I had to own a blue dial Sinn, it would be the 104.

Oris, same kind of thing -- not into the ProPilot, too big at 41mm and I don't like the figured bezel. Would consider the Aquis diver with blue dial.

I'd be looking instead at a Glycine 6 or the new Nodus Contrail with plain bezel
    Watches are life. Live to Watch, Watch to Live. Do you even Watch, bro?

As much as I like Sinn, I'd get the Oris. It's dial is much more readable, with the lumed Arabic numbers. The movement is slightly better on the Sinn (ETA vs. Sellita).

I like the Oris because I think it has a bit more character to it.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information