Sinn 556 or Stowa Ikarus?

View Poll Results: Which one would you pick?

Voters
51. This poll is closed
  • Stowa Ikarus

23 45.10%
  • Sinn 556

28 54.90%
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Sinn 556 or Stowa Ikarus?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    LH2

Off Topic post Sinn 556 or Stowa Ikarus?

Name:  Ikarus-6.jpg
Views: 1331
Size:  13.2 KB

Name:  20090306294.jpg
Views: 6059
Size:  47.1 KB

I'm trying to decide which of these two is a better fit for my collection. I already own a Laco A-dial flieger and a couple of flieger-style watches in the Damasko DA35 Black (no numerals, white dial) and DA36.

In favor of the Stowa, I've always liked the grey dial of the Ikarus as it is very unique, and I don't have a grey dial in my collection. I also like the domed sapphire crystal.

On the other hand, although I don't find many Sinns appealing, I love the simple no-numerals dial of the 556. It also comes with a TOP grade movement and would be my first Sinn.

My wrist is 6.75" so either watch is a good fit (Sinn 38.5mm case, Stowa 40mm). The Stowa has better lume, but lume is not a priority.

Looking forward to any impressions of these two, considering what I already own, that might help sway me one way or the other. Thanks
    Archimede | Damasko | Defakto | Fortis | Glycine | Hamilton | Junghans | Laco | Limes | Oris | Sinn | Stowa | Tutima

Re: Sinn 556 or Stowa Ikarus?

I voted Sinn as that's what I'd choose from the two; I'm afraid that contrary to your request I largely ignored your collection as that's what I'd do were I in your shoes - I'd get the watch I'd prefer to have on my wrist over the one that makes the group shot looks more interesting.

But, if you're exactly 50/50 about them then go with the Stowa as it varies your collection.
    LH2 likes this.

I voted Stowa. Then again I do have one on order!

The rhodium-plated dial is very appealing, and while supplies last the Ikarus can also be ordered with a top grade movement. It's also over $150 cheaper with the top grade movement upgrade than the Sinn. With the leftover change you could order a croco strap if you want to dress it up a bit. I did. :)

Honestly though, they're both fantastic and you can't go wrong with either watch.
    LH2 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Since you already have a Laco, Stowa & Damasko it only makes sense to add a Sinn to your collection.
    Fan of manual winds and German makes.

Stowa for me. A much classier looking watch and slightly different from what you've currently got.

Stowa. It's just more interesting.
    G-shock G-100
    G-shock GW-300
    Victorinox Classic Chrono
    Citizen NY0040 Diver
    Citizen BN0100 eco-drive diver
    Ollech & Wajs MP2801
    Orient Black Mako
    Maratec Mid-Sized Pilot
    Sea-Gull M177S
    Seiko 5 orange neo monster
    Seiko SARB017 Alpinist

I like the date position better on the Stowa and the crown guards on the Sinn.
    Stowa is overall better looking IMO.
    The Speedmaster is the only thing we took to the Moon that had no modification whatsoever Ė it was right off the shelf. Whatís interesting about my first one is that itís beat up, itís never been cleaned, itís never been repaired and to this day I can take that watch and wind it and it keeps time as well as the day I got it. And Iíve walked in space with it for two and a half hours and worn it on the Moon for over three days.

Inactive
    Get the Stowa; it's much prettier and more interesting looking.

I voted for the Sinn, even as a devoted Stowa wearer. Yes, the Ikarus is interesting looking, but the Sinn is better looking. Beautiful rather than pretty. I also really like that the Sinn has high WR, making it more versatile.

The 556 is my choice for top watch to get in the $500-$1000 price range, esp. if you already have flieger watches. The Sinn is sort of a Flieger, but in its austerity, I think it's much more than that.
    LH2 likes this.

My vote is for the Ikarus because it's more interesting and unique.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information