Sistem51 movements now in Tissots? - Page 2
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Sistem51 movements now in Tissots?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Sistem51 movements now in Tissots?

Yeah, but love it or hate it, they are doing what Tissot has done for over a century- getting their automatic watches on peoples' wrists. They have "done" a lot of new watch tech over their years...

If you have one, you're like to buy another, especially if they can make that one run forever with proper, quick, cheap servicing.
    Dan_957 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-HK View Post
    Edit: the spec that interests me most is the "synthetic escape". The Sistem51 (C10111) had a synthetic balance wheel and a metal balance spring. The spec for the C15.111 isn't entirely clear but on first reading it does seem to suggest a synthetic balance spring (making an entirely synthetic escapement). This would be most extraordinary in a watch at this price point.
    Name:  171018110600129907.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  72.3 KB
    Tom-HK and watchcrank like this.

Good find! It's always interesting to get more data.

So the balance / escapement set-up is probably lifted straight from the Sistem51. Synthetic parts abound, but still a metal balance spring. Similar accuracy spec, too.

Well, I hadn't really expected a silicon balance spring at this price point, I suppose. Tissot need to be a bit wary of mentioning the 'synthetic escapement' bit (not that I have seen it prominently in any of their marketing for this model, to date), lest they inadvertently lead people to the wrong conclusion.

Swatch had a similar problem with the marketing for the Sistem51. They announced that their revolutionary new movement had just 51 parts and one central screw. Many watch journalists took this to mean that the whole movement (or, at least, a very substantial amount of the movement) was held together by that one, single screw. In fact, of course, the movement was all welded together except for the rotor and it was the rotor that was held on by the screw. But such was the level of confusion surrounding this that even though the facts have since been cleared up, many reports on the Sistem51 even now still repeat the myth of the one central screw holding everything together.
    watchcrank likes this.
    The 4.19 MHz Collection
    Casio - SP-400, module 75
    Casio - SP-410, module 75
    Casio - SP-400G, module 75
    Citizen - Crystron 4 Mega, cal. 7370
    Citizen - Exceed 4 Mega, cal. 1730 SOLD
    Junghans - Prototype, cal. 667.20
    Junghans - MegaQuarz, cal. 667.26 SOLD
    Omega - Prototype, cal. 1522

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Is there any information about serviceability? I think the original Sistem51 movement has a lot of welded components inside and is not serviceable. I am curious to know if Tissot has found a work-around for this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ram71 View Post
    Is there any information about serviceability? I think the original Sistem51 movement has a lot of welded components inside and is not serviceable. I am curious to know if Tissot has found a work-around for this issue.
    There does appear to be a bit of a disconnect between some of the press reports and some of the specs and data that have subsequently been dug up and posted here, but reports so far indicate that the watch will not be serviceable

Edit : At least, the movement doesn't appear to be serviceable. It may be that the case and crystal could be serviced. If so, this would be a bit of a departure from the Sistem51. If the case back can be opened then there is also the theoretical possibility that minor servicing could be performed on the movement, but this would be limited to replacing the rotor and possibly rate regulation. I know the thing was set by laser in the factory and hasn't got a regulator lever, but the same is true of Tissot's Powermatic 80 range and yet there are ways (I believe I read somewhere) in which they can be regulated.

At this price point, however, it is rather more likely that Tissot would simply drop in a whole new movement than attempt any sort of movement maintenance.
    Last edited by Tom-HK; October 22nd, 2017 at 07:18.
    The 4.19 MHz Collection
    Casio - SP-400, module 75
    Casio - SP-410, module 75
    Casio - SP-400G, module 75
    Citizen - Crystron 4 Mega, cal. 7370
    Citizen - Exceed 4 Mega, cal. 1730 SOLD
    Junghans - Prototype, cal. 667.20
    Junghans - MegaQuarz, cal. 667.26 SOLD
    Omega - Prototype, cal. 1522

[QUOTE=Tom-HK;44380743]There does appear to be a bit of a disconnect between some of the press reports and some of the specs and data that have subsequently been dug up and posted here, but reports so far indicate that the watch will not be serviceable

Edit : At least, the movement doesn't appear to be serviceable. It may be that the case and crystal could be serviced. If so, this would be a bit of a departure from the Sistem51. If the case back can be opened then there is also the theoretical possibility that minor servicing could be performed on the movement, but this would be limited to replacing the rotor and possibly rate regulation. I know the thing was set by laser in the factory and hasn't got a regulator lever, but the same is true of Tissot's Powermatic 80 range and yet there are ways (I believe I read somewhere) in which they can be regulated.[QUOTE]

No service on the movement AT ALL, whether it's from a tissot watch or a swatch one. No rotor replacement, nor any regulation. The set spiral length is laser-cut, and the metallic balance is poised. You can't adjust the rate, or add/remove mass on the balance.

Tissot case parts (gaskets, sapphire, crown, etc) are serviceable though, in a classic way.

An interesting URL (in french, though):
    http://www.europastar.com/premiere/1...-sistem51.html

At this price point, however, it is rather more likely that Tissot would simply drop in a whole new movement than attempt any sort of movement maintenance.
    Yes, that's the way.

Just a note: the mean list price of these Swissmatics @ADs is roughly USD400. An out-of-warranty full maintenance is about USD200, so 50% of the retail price.

Let's draw some conclusions here
    Imagine the current new steel Sub getting a 4K service ? That'd be fun...
    Last edited by Deli; October 22nd, 2017 at 14:40.
    watchcrank likes this.

Aren't there differences between the sistem51 movement and the swissmatic movement? IIRC, some additional parts are metal in the swissmatic movement.

Tissot had mostly or all plastic movements in a watch before sistem 51.Many years before it.

I read a article about how Tissot wants to get into lower end watches. This probably one of these new lower end things. Main goal is to attract customers by offering Swiss made, automatic etc... For essentially half the price. Considering stratospheric prices you get (at authorized dealers) for essentially same quartz movement you get in swatch chronograph it about time to lower prices. Whole segment is started to stagnate. Also Tissot not really pinnacle of quality and service at certain countries less professional than in other. There are a lot of watches with non serviceable movements doing just fine in time span of 20-30 years. Considering target price of the lower end Tissot watch it cheaper or equal value to dump it and buy new instead of servicing. My friend recently had issue with ETA based Certina chronograph. No one even tried to service it. He been offered only to replace movement. Considering Certina was dead after 4.5 years he decided to buy new Citizen. My thinking is company going disposable way. It proved to be profitable with Swatch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information