Sistem51 Teardown By A Watchmaker
Like Tree394Likes

Thread: Sistem51 Teardown By A Watchmaker

Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Sistem51 Teardown By A Watchmaker

An interesting blog to follow in general, but this just made my eyes hurt:

Review: A trip inside the Swatch Sistem51 / ETA C10111 | Watch Guy

I think they just sucked any kind of "soul" mechanicals had left out in one fell swoop! I'm not shocked, just a little surprised at Swatch's audacity of calling it revolutionary...
    Marrin likes this.

Re: Sistem51 Teardown By A Watchmaker

That's an ugly movement but this is afterall a cheap movement that is not targetted at the discerning watch collectors.

Also is the escapement truely plastic? I won't ignore the possiblity that it might be silicon.

Ouch! Brutal review!
    PM is not working for me. If you need to contact me, please email. Thanks! popokinui1(at)gmail(dot)com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It looked like plastic to me, but not all plastics are created equal. If it's just the stuff ordinary everyday objects are made out of, it'll self destruct pretty quickly. I wonder how they react to varying temperatures.

I wouldn't mind the bad performance and construction if it were cheap. But the Seiko 5 is apparently far superior and available for a third the price if you shop around. Even assuming the price comes way down on the Swatch, it'll still be twice as expensive. Seiko 5s are being made now with 4R36s that hack and handwind too, further making me to wonder why you'd skip a decent but metallic watch with a proven metallic movement for the far more expensive plastic watch and plastic movement Sistem51. Other than curiosity anyway. Or funky looks, which I understand.

Alllllllll that said, I have been able to test a Sistem51 on a Timegrapher, dial up position alone, and it did fine there. Not great, but fine for the price point.

adi4, DM71, Marrin and 1 others like this.

Wow.

Huh.
    So - too early to state that currently, this Swatch movement is the absolute worst auto-movement made these days?
    - Geckota E-01 (Daily/Dressy)
    - NTH Bahia (Daily/Casual+Sport)
    - G-Shock 5600 (The too-cheap-to-sell-so-it-hangs-around watch)

Quote Originally Posted by mew88 View Post
    That's an ugly movement but this is afterall a cheap movement that is not targetted at the discerning watch collectors.

Also is the escapement truely plastic? I won't ignore the possiblity that it might be silicon.
    For under $200?

I had high hopes for these, despite the styling. Now I'm glad I didn't pick one up, they weren't kidding when they said they were disposable!

Subscribed to this thread, it could get interesting. Thanks for sharing.
    adi4 and X2-Elijah like this.

Still better than Grand Seiko.
    sumanbhadra and OrangeSport like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace McLoud View Post
    For under $200?
    If any company could possibily do it for that price, it would be Swatch Group.
    But the blown up pics from Citizen M seems to suggests otherwise though.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenM View Post
    It looked like plastic to me, but not all plastics are created equal. If it's just the stuff ordinary everyday objects are made out of, it'll self destruct pretty quickly. I wonder how they react to varying temperatures.

I wouldn't mind the bad performance and construction if it were cheap. But the Seiko 5 is apparently far superior and available for a third the price if you shop around. Even assuming the price comes way down on the Swatch, it'll still be twice as expensive. Seiko 5s are being made now with 4R36s that hack and handwind too, further making me to wonder why you'd skip a decent but metallic watch with a proven metallic movement for the far more expensive plastic watch and plastic movement Sistem51. Other than curiosity anyway. Or funky looks, which I understand.

Alllllllll that said, I have been able to test a Sistem51 on a Timegrapher, dial up position alone, and it did fine there. Not great, but fine for the price point.
    Agree, but I'm not sure what this trying to compete on with the 4R36 besides disposability. I guess that's a feature to be touted now?

I guess it's good that they time decently well new, but with that type of build, I wonder how that test will look in 3-4 years? Good thing is, there will be plenty of them to tear apart when they do start wearing down and breaking, you'll just have to go dig around in some trash cans. :p

Quote Originally Posted by mew88 View Post
    If any company could possibily do it for that price, it would be Swatch Group.
    But the blown up pics from Citizen M seems to suggests otherwise though.
    They could, however they seem to be going for the opposite of value here.

Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information