Is this site tough on new members?
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Is this site tough on new members?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is this site tough on new members?

I am talking specifically of the sales foums.I do not have that many posts here as I am also a member of 4 or 5 other sites but have well over 2,000 posts. There have been 4 watches I wanted to purchase and have not had any replies except one and that guy originally I had a deal with but because I did not reply to him within the hour (even though I told him I would be in a meeting for 90 minutes) sold to someone else. The other 3 have not replied for over a week and the watches are not showing sold. I added in my replies the other watch sites I belong to and names of Moderators for references but still nothing. I've always tried to reply within 24 hrs of a pm. I'm not sure if it is my low post count or what.

I respond to all PMs regardless of post count. I've sold a couple watches to 5 or less post members before, although I did ask for references on other sites.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin
    serdal23 likes this.

Re: Is this site tough on new members?

In terms of the sales forum, it happens to everybody. Including me. Some sellers just don't want to respond (Yes, it could be because of your count, but prob not).

But with other things, a bit. Hell, my first post was labeled as trolling and I was nearly banned for scamming (mistaken identity due to some really bad circumstances) my first week. This is a community built on reputation and respect. You earn trust and contribute and you'll do just fine. Might even make a few good friends.

Good luck,
    Ethan
    serdal23 likes this.

(Dedicated to the pink tiger stripe and the man behind it.)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Seems like a fluke, I joined this site and my first post was PMing another member to buy his Oris and everything went great. I've sold a few watches here and a low post count doesn't bother me, as long as they are paying with paypal and a confirmed address who cares about post count? I'm guessing you've just had crappy luck, like Citizen V said most members here will reply to all PMs and work with whoever is the most interested buyer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I would have thought a low post count would only be a negative for selling watches never thought about buying... sorry to hear that!
    serdal23 likes this.

WnS

I never ignore potential buyers - buyer's post count isn't really an issue if I'm selling.
    serdal23 likes this.
    I'm content with my watch collection

Quote Originally Posted by WnS View Post
    I never ignore potential buyers - buyer's post count isn't really an issue if I'm selling.
    I feel the same the way but it might be a little different if I was selling something that was over 2k but their are ways to vet the buyer other than WUS. Regardless I wouldn't ignore the buyer.

I have had plenty of people tell me they want to buy watches I've sold and then disappear. So I understand a first come first served attitude but not waiting 90 min, or at least 24 hours for payment is a bit aggressive to me.

Sorry you've had bad luck!

Banned

thats odd... unless you're sending tons of desperate emails...

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    I feel the same the way but it might be a little different if I was selling something that was over 2k but their are ways to vet the buyer other than WUS. Regardless I wouldn't ignore the buyer.

I have had plenty of people tell me they want to buy watches I've sold and then disappear. So I understand a first come first served attitude but not waiting 90 min, or at least 24 hours for payment is a bit aggressive to me.

Sorry you've had bad luck!
    And the funny part is the Dude selling first said he had a dozen guys after the watch and then rationalized not waiting for me (It was 67 minutes exactly after he pm'd me that I responded) that he did not want to take the chance of not being able to get rid of the watch.

Sometimes situations like this just happen, for various reasons, including impatience and, sadly, rudeness. But it seems a bit unusual that so many sellers would be giving you the cold shoulder. To my way of thinking, if a buyer is paying with paypal, a low post count doesn't usually matter, although signs of activity may very well provide some degree of peace of mind to sellers. It seems like quite a few new members begin a thread showing off the new or used watch they say they just picked up. [I didn't do research on this, though.] Sellers of new watches certainly don't care if you are new to collecting as long as you have the long green. If you were a seller, though, I'd approach with caution.

It's interesting how sellers see things differently in terms of time limits, communication, fast payment. As a buyer, I don't approach a seller unless I'm ready to pull the trigger. And I pay instantly; I've never liked it when, as a seller, I've agreed to terms and then the buyer says he's at work or not near a computer and could he send the money the next morning or something along those lines. I've had too many buyers change their minds--or perhaps their significant others did the changing. And sometimes I've never heard from the person again. That's when a high post count and great references would have helped. I must add, though, that most of the new members I've dealt with have paid quickly and communicated expertly.
    Rolex DeepSea Sea-Dweller | Eterna Super KonTiki 1973 Limited Edition

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information