WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Size of the original Bulova moon watch?

8K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Jakelol 
#1 ·
The reissued Blulova moon watch is 45mm but what was the size of the original one? Was it really 45mm?

#3 ·
Hi WUS!

I posted this a few weeks ago in the other Bulova Dave Scott watch thread.

I got very curious as nobody attempted to measure the original. So while waiting for a flight at the airport, I did some "back of the envelope" measurements of Dave Scott's original piece. The only assumption I made was that the lug to lug width is 20mm as can be seen with the NASA velcro band.

Taking that 20mm width as a fixed reference, I superimposed it over the face in two different ways.

(1) There was a thread where the Bulova representative said they measured the new reissue from 10 o'clock to 4 o'clock across the watch body, yielding 45mm (the published width online).

On Dave Scott's Moonwatch, 2x segments of 20mm lines was not enough. The little extra bit turned out to be roughly 3.3mm. I got 3.3mm by overlaying segments over the NASA strap, about 6 segments were required to reach lug to lug.

The width measured is roughly 43.3mm, on Dave Scott's original Moonwatch.

(2) Straight across the face from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock. There was a bit extra which turned out to be still 3.3mm. So the width is still 43.3mm!

So the original piece is at least 43.3mm wide. This makes the reissue 1.7mm wider than the original, retaining the 20mm lug width.

Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.