Skeleton Watch Help
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Skeleton Watch Help

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Skeleton Watch Help

Hi,

I have spent the last week checking out different watches styles and have been drawn back to Skeleton watches. Budget anywhere from $500 to $1,500. I want a simple watch (time only, no interest in date or chronograph) with a watch movement that is more interesting to look at instead of knowing the time. I prefer a non Chinese movement if possible. I am not as concerned with precision time as opposed to a great looking movement in a skeleton with low maintenance. Maybe a mid range movement? Any suggestions from brands I should be looking for?

I was reading an article on here that talked about Seiko mid range movement like 6R2x or 6R15 but not sure who uses those to if they are a great looking movement for a Skeleton.

Some options I like:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/HISTORICAL-...AAOSwh1paAiR T
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/SWISS-SKELE...AAOSwZd1VbKp W
    https://wilkwatchworks.com/product/c...ver-dial-41mm/
    https://wilkwatchworks.com/product/d...-markers-41mm/

I am a little concerned with a handmade version that i am unfamiliar with. I also like the look of Linde werdelin Skeleton but I don't know if any brands look remotely like that in my price range.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Regards,
    Mark

Admin note, from our rules: 14. Members are free to leave, but not free to change the history of a discussion. Members wishing to leave WatchUSeek can do so by contacting the Admin at any time. Their account will then be set to “inactive” and their posts will remain.
    Last edited by CMSgt Bo; August 17th, 2018 at 10:21.

Re: Skeleton Watch help

The best skeleton watches I’ve tried for under 1500 come from Tissot and Oris on the grey market. Look for Tissot squelette, Chemin and the Oris artelier skeleton

Quote Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing View Post
    The best skeleton watches I’ve tried for under 1500 come from Tissot and Oris on the grey market. Look for Tissot squelette, Chemin and the Oris artelier skeleton
    Thanks. I am actually looking at Tissot right now. Will look at Oris next.
    DanielWalsh likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Maybe this?

Or this?
    ------------------------------
    Good Dealings: editor9, iam7head, MrH42, curt941, nin9919, twjohnso, gr8sw, ryasja2009, Twistoff, JordanR, chili16, Captain Beefheart, litbruin, silveradosilver, iceman66, jatherly, husonfirst, Timecat, dothedo, PeekPoke, ingmar

Checking out Hamilton Jazzmaster and Khaki field right now. Solid options. No love for the links I posted?
    Last edited by MarkBoots; August 17th, 2018 at 06:21.
    DanielWalsh likes this.

Before going into this, be very very sure you want to spend that much on a skeleton. It's extremely common to buy one and fall very quickly out of love for a number of reasons. I suggest getting a $100-200 option and see if you like it. In the relatively likely case that it's not your favorite daily wear watch, then you're not out that much $$$.

The Japanese brands are not into the showy idea of a skeleton watch-- it doesn't fit their practicality aesthetic. I don't think you'll find any skeletonized versions of the Seiko 6R, and while some Japanese movements are supplied for use in skeletonized watches, there's almost nothing from the big brands themselves other than a few open heart models.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkBoots View Post
    Checking out Hamilton Jazzmaster and Khaki field right now. Solid options. No love for the links I posted?
    I'd hard avoid the first two, you don't know anything about who made them and the fake Swiss Made branding on the first is a red flag.

The Wilk Watch Works ones should be pretty good quality. The 2nd one is interesting.

If I were going to spend way too much money on a skeleton watch, it would be the Tissot Squelette pictured above.
    Gary123 likes this.
    Choose a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life because that field isn't hiring.

Re: Please delete post

Quote Originally Posted by MarkBoots View Post
    Remove thread.
    Strange request. What on earth for?

Also disrespectful of those who have sincerely tried to help with intellegent and thoughtful responses to your original (unedited) post
    billiybop likes this.
    Bulova> 96B251. Casio> 5600E. Damasko> DS30. GrandSeiko> SBGH205. Rolex> 116500LN, 16710. Seiko> SARB017, SARB033, SBDX017, SLA017.

Quote Originally Posted by OvrSteer View Post
    ... It's extremely common to buy one and fall very quickly out of love for a number of reasons. ....
    Yup. Its like a fad, and then you're over it.

I know a lot of watch guys who have owned a skeleton, but don't know anyone who is wearing one now.
    DanielWalsh likes this.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero .. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub 106, Muhle Glashutte Rasmus blue

Re: Please delete post

Quote Originally Posted by obomomomo View Post
    Strange request. What on earth for?

Also disrespectful of those who have sincerely tried to help with intellegent and thoughtful responses to your original (unedited) post
    Yeah, I certainly wasn't trying to be unfair or demeaning. I'm actually suggesting he *should* buy a skeleton, but with a little more economy in mind. I know most people get tired of skeleton watches because of... busy dial? doesn't match well (too casual to be a dress watch, too "dressy" to be a sports watch), lack of lume, lack of date, needs to be hand wound, low contrast, whatever-- but I do know one guy who does love them, and wears them daily and has for years. He's got more than one skeleton. So find out if you're the outlier who really loves them, I guess, but with the understanding that most people do fall out of love, at least on a "daily wear" use case.

I honestly really like the Squelletes that Tissot puts out. I just don't really want to drop a grand on something that is fun but not practical daily wear. I'm funny that way, but for a cheaper price why not get something fun?
    Choose a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life because that field isn't hiring.

Re: Skeleton Watch Help

Bought this in a buying frenzy and have to admit, I kinda like it. I also have to say, it is nothing I would wear everyday... but I have a huge rotation. I really don't think you can beat it for the price! Great watch and keeps excellent time! One of the "fun" ones.

... and a whole lot less than your budget, just to get your feet wet and see if you may want to step it up, after it gets some wrist time.

Plus, it is all metal with a bracelet... not the normal Swatch plastic! I believe I paid around 70 bucks for it!
    OvrSteer likes this.
    "Time isn't the main thing. It is the only thing!" - Miles Davis

I have found that some people just like to hear themselves typing.

Friends don't let friends buy G-Schlocks.

You think I'm condescending...?? Do you even know what that means... ??

Every time God closes one door... I open a bottle of bourbon.

¹ I have learned that you have to put a smiley face or LOL behind anything just so people don't take you too seriously.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information