Slide Rule Recommendation
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ilitig8
  • 1 Post By Cal Goat

Thread: Slide Rule Recommendation

Slide Rule Recommendation

Hello everyone. I am a new member here and I am glad for joining you. And so, I need some advice.

I have been interested on Aviator Watches ultimately and since I canīt get the real thing, I am looking for something waaaay cheaper, so I read some reviews and heard more or less good opinions on this Casio Model (I donīt mind if itīs a Casio, I just want an Aviator watch for its functions)
    Name:  Casio caro.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  29.9 KBIt runs for about 85 on Amazon.

But I am looking for the best price I can get and found this other Casio to be very cheap, only 52 also on Amazon.
    Name:  Casio bara.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  44.2 KB

So, if you donīt mind for the questions there it goes:
    I see the cheapest has not all the functions on the bezel, but I just need the basic, so for what you know, does the cheapest make the basic?

Thanks a lot! All your answers are welcome!
    David.

Re: Slide Rule Recommendation

I'm not sure I understand the question or that others will... one is more expensive but has more markings/features. One is less expensive but has less markings/features. I don't think there's any sort of standard "basic" set that you need to look for or anything. Get what you think you would like having.
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Jaquest Droz Grande Seconde, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

One note for the inexpensive slide rule bezels it try to get hands on with the ONE you are going to buy and ensure the bezels align correctly and are printed correctly. If you plan to use them the printing tolerances on some of the cheaper ones make them useless and this can very from watch to watch.
    akasnowmaaan likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

No slide rule with one scale inside the crystal and one outside can possibly work properly; most Seiko and Casio aviators get this wrong (the silver dial one you posted looks OK).

Personally my favourites come from Citizen, but would cost rather more than your examples. Right now I'm wearing a Blue Angels World Chronograph:
    Name:  blue+angels+solo.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  223.4 KB

Also bear in mind, these are impractical to use in the cockpit, especially at night, and you're far better off actually flying with a real E6B and a dive watch (ideally one with a lumed bezel) or digital. However, as flight planning devices and for ground support roles, they're actually very cool. The World Chrono is a superb travel watch; I actually mostly use my slide rule for currency conversions.

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Keuffel and Esser
    familiaritas parit contemptum; raritate admiratione wins.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

Of the two I would get the Edifice for it's looks. However, if you want a slide rule watch for it's pilot slide rule functions then I then I think you need to look at a more readable device. Sure you can make them work more or less, but it's so easy to misalign those tiny markers.

E6B watches are quite useful. I've been using one for over 25 years as both a pilot and a mechanical engineer. I use them to make calculations daily. The are reasonably close for many uses...even in a cockpit (I have eyeglasses at age 48). I've been toying with getting the Edifice just to see how it looks in person. One point I'll mention...all the Citizen, Seiko and Tag Heuer E6B watches I have .....you can directly turn the calculation bezel with your fingers .....the Edifice seems to use a knob at he 8 o'clock position...tis may be a bit of a pain?? I like the readability of the Edifice better.

Quote Originally Posted by davidsupertenex View Post
    Hello everyone. I am a new member here and I am glad for joining you. And so, I need some advice.

I have been interested on Aviator Watches ultimately and since I canīt get the real thing, I am looking for something waaaay cheaper, so I read some reviews and heard more or less good opinions on this Casio Model (I donīt mind if itīs a Casio, I just want an Aviator watch for its functions)
    Name:  Casio caro.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  29.9 KBIt runs for about 85 on Amazon.
    Thanks a lot! All your answers are welcome!
    David.
    I realize this is a bit old now, but just for reference, I have that Casio Edifice among a couple of other slide-rule bezel watches.
    Name:  FullSizeRender(1).jpg
Views: 151
Size:  2.06 MB

I really do like the Casio, especially at its price point. The other 2, though certainly more aviation focused with their multiple time zone functions, aren't quite as elegant. I've been a professional pilot for many years, and I can promise you that after initial flight training there really is no need for a slide rule or E6B. A smart phone app is faster and more accurate and most of the cockpit instrumentation (even in small GA airplanes) can provide you with the calculations you seek.

That said, I do (clearly) like the aesthetic of the slide rule bezel watches.
    Stephen2020 likes this.

Thread Information