Slight lug edge nick
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dbakiva

Thread: Slight lug edge nick

Slight lug edge nick

Hi all.

I was changing a strap on my dad's watch and the spring bar barely caught the inside top edge of his watch. With no strap on, it is visible and you can feel it ever so slightly (I mean barely), but with a strap it cannot be seen. Sometimes he asks me to switch it to a NATO too and I am fearful that I will be able to see the slight edge damage while on the NATO. His eyesight isn't great so he won't see it, but that isn't the point. My fault... I'd like to fix it.

I tried some steel wool that was lying around, but I didn't want to damage the top of the lug's brushed steel.

Any tips for minimal edge touch up of the scrape?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by heboil; January 9th, 2014 at 08:26. Reason: Changed title

Re: Slight lug edge gouge

If it were my watch I wouldn't want you trying to "fix" it with steel wool, or anything else, and likely making it worse.

Instead I'd rather know about it and decide myself what to do.

Just show your dad.
    Last edited by cedargrove; January 9th, 2014 at 04:12.

Quote Originally Posted by cedargrove View Post
    If it were my watch I wouldn't want you trying to "fix" it with steel wool, or anything else, and likely making it worse.

Instead I'd rather know about it and decide myself what to do.

Just show your dad.
    Hi. I am 30+ years past trying to hide stuff from my dad. He knows and said it isn't a big deal. However, I am still responsible and feel badly about it. I am just trying to figure out a good way to minimize it... probably mostly for my conscience.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Just my opinion, but I'd say this falls into the category of whatever you try to do to fix it is going to be worse than the so-called problem. If the strap hides it, forget it. Changing straps is a somewhat hazardous task, and stuff happens. A lesson in perspective, particularly as your dad sees it placidly.

Quote Originally Posted by heboil View Post
    ... I am just trying to figure out a good way to minimize it... probably mostly for my conscience.
    Just take him out to lunch.
    Bwana1 likes this.
    Over a half century of "just the right amount of odd."

I get the impression that the mark is really small so I would leave it be rather than risk making matters worse by trying to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by heboil View Post
    Hi. I am 30+ years past trying to hide stuff from my dad. He knows and said it isn't a big deal. However, I am still responsible and feel badly about it. I am just trying to figure out a good way to minimize it... probably mostly for my conscience.

My apologies. I got the impression that you were trying to hide it from him, possibly because of the comment regarding him not being able to see it. My misunderstanding.

I'd still be careful about trying to fix it, as you will likely make it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    I get the impression that the mark is really small so I would leave it be rather than risk making matters worse by trying to fix it.
    +1
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

It can be corrected if you know how metal refinishing and polishing works, but it is not something to try out for the first time on Dad's watch.

If it bothers you, a good jeweler should be able to level it out for a reasonable rate.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    It can be corrected if you know how metal refinishing and polishing works, but it is not something to try out for the first time on Dad's watch.

If it bothers you, a good jeweler should be able to level it out for a reasonable rate.
    Thx. I'll probably just do that. I was looking at a Bergeon scratch pen or something with a fine tip. Sounds like good advice.

Thread Information