Slim, square/rectangular dress watch advice for a novice with a small wrist
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Slim, square/rectangular dress watch advice for a novice with a small wrist

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hi all,

My lovely fiancee would like to get me a nice dress watch for our wedding, something that I could pass down to our sons/grandsons. I am a big fan of square/rectangular/hexagonal faces, have a strong preference for yellow gold in the case (though rose could also work--the wedding band will be yellow or maybe rose gold), with a black leather bracelet. I generally don't like numerals on the faces but I've seen some that I do like (such as the Reverso). Limited editions are a plus--so I can pass down something unique--but not a priority. Also, my wrist is really small, ~6.5 inches, so some very attractive watches just don't look good on me.

Though I am new to this, I've done a lot of research and found a lot of watches that I really like, but as you'll likely recognize from the photos below, most of these stretch her budget of 8000 USD. Also, when you're very new to something, you have no idea what you don't know, so I am almost certain that there are many of watches that fit these criteria that I will miss entirely. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions from more experienced horophiles.

On a related note, does anyone have any experience with online retailers like luxurybazaar.com? I think the watch that's caught my eye more than any other is the Omega Museum collection reissue of JFK's ultra thin, which I've seen for sale there at a decent price.

Thank you in advance for your consideration of my very particular, yet likely ill-informed requests!

Attachment 1017645

Attachment 1017646
    Attachment 1017647
    Attachment 1017649
    Attachment 1017652

Re: Slim, square/rectangular dress watch advice for a novice with a small wrist

Cartier Tank Francaise, ref W51005Q4, large model, automatic, yellow gold and steel. Retails for $7,400. An iconic classic if you don't mind two-toned.

Kindest Regards,
    Portauto

Last edited by portauto; March 22nd, 2013 at 06:30.
    Rotation: IWC Portuguese 5001-09 7-Day; Glashütte Original PanoReserve; Rolex Oyster 6480 (1955); TAG Heuer 2000 Professional
    Sold: Seiko MarineMaster SBDX001; Omega Seamaster Professional; Steinhart Nav.B-Uhr II B-Type; Wilson Pilot with Sea-Gull ST36
    Older: Tissot Visodate Heritage 1957; Sea-Gull 819.315; Citizen Promaster Navitach JQ8020-52L; Casio DBC-61 Databank Digital (first watch)
    Daily Wear: Apple Watch Series 4 Hermes 40mm
    My Wife's: Cartier Tank Solo W5200005; Apple Watch Series 4 GPS 40mm

There's no way you can go wrong with the JLC Reverso, that is just beautiful.
    Kilovolt likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Also this limited edition JLC Reverso 1931 meets all of your criteria except for the gold. It even comes with a bespoke strap. This is one fine heirloom piece to say the least.

JLC Releases A Limited Edition Reverso 1931 With Strap Made By Casa Fagliano (Live Pictures) — HODINKEE - Wristwatch News, Reviews, & Original Stories

Kindest Regards,
    Portauto

GWGeorge likes this.
    Rotation: IWC Portuguese 5001-09 7-Day; Glashütte Original PanoReserve; Rolex Oyster 6480 (1955); TAG Heuer 2000 Professional
    Sold: Seiko MarineMaster SBDX001; Omega Seamaster Professional; Steinhart Nav.B-Uhr II B-Type; Wilson Pilot with Sea-Gull ST36
    Older: Tissot Visodate Heritage 1957; Sea-Gull 819.315; Citizen Promaster Navitach JQ8020-52L; Casio DBC-61 Databank Digital (first watch)

Cartier Tank Solo XL Automatic in pink gold and steel, $7,500

Kindest Regards,
    Portauto

I think part of the appeal of a heirloom watch that you'll be able to pass down to your son is if it's something that you can wear regularly, and for that reason, I suggest that you go with a stainless steel watch instead. Furthermore, at the $8K price range, you'll be hard pressed to get a watch from a high-end brand like Jaeger-LeCoultre or Patek Philippe in gold, unless you buy preowned.

My recommendation is to get a Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso in stainless steel, either the Grande Reverso Ultrathin Tribute to 1931, or the Reverso Duo (the Grande Reverso Duo you posted will be too large). Either of these are much more significant watches than the Nomos or Omegas that you've shown in gold. The JLC Reversos and Cartier Tanks are by far the most iconic rectangular watches in existence.

A word of caution, due to the long lug-to-lug measurement, and the absolutely flat caseback, Reversos are watches which absolutely need to be tried out in the metal before making a purchase.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Seiko, Cartier Moderator Athram's Avatar

Cartier tank solo is really your only choice here!

Quote Originally Posted by Athram View Post
    Cartier tank solo is really your only choice here!
    JLC Reverso is really your only choice here!

You do keep odd hours Hugh...
    Horologic likes this.

thank you all for these suggestions. love the face on that US edition Reverso TT 1931, but it looks like it will be tough to come by given its rather limited release.

what's the knock on the Omega JFK reissue? i definitely plan on trying on a Reverso, but fear that they're be a little too big on me. i think 42 mm might be as long as I can go--46 mm basically consumes the whole wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by nickpapagiorgio View Post
    thank you all for these suggestions. love the face on that US edition Reverso TT 1931, but it looks like it will be tough to come by given its rather limited release.
    You also have the choice of the non-limited edition JLC Reverso 1931. It's widely available and I've seen it at two AD's recently.

Exclusive Hands-On With The Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso 1931 (VIDEO) — HODINKEE - Wristwatch News, Reviews, & Original Stories

Kindest Regards,
    Portauto

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information