Smaller, affordable/mid-range anti-magnetic watches?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Smaller, affordable/mid-range anti-magnetic watches?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Smaller, affordable/mid-range anti-magnetic watches?

I find myself working around magnets a fair bit and I'm pretty sure I mildly magnetized one of my watches not too long ago (need to get a demagnetizer...) and so anti- or a-magnetic watches have become a thing of interest for me. Would like to add one to the collection. I know of some examples, but I'm sure the collective knowledge base here at WUS could come up with several I'm not familiar with.

To clarify "anti-magnetic" up front, when I say anti-magnetic, I mean legitimately enhanced magnetic resistance. Not the "anti-magnetic per DIN 8309" nonsense that certain brands like to flaunt as though it's something special. Every watch in the past 50 years, and every watch I currently own, meets DIN 8309 (4,800 A/m, or 60 Gauss). I'm looking for at least 50,000 A/m (600 Gauss).

What I'm looking for:

Must have:
    50,000+ A/m (600 Gauss) anti-magnetic rating
    36-38mm case diameter (excluding crown) if a fixed bezel, or 38-40 with a rotating timing bezel
    48mm L2L max (45-46 is my sweet spot)
    Thickness <13mm (if a domed crystal pushes total thickness a little above that, I can deal with that, so long as the metal is <13mm thick)
    Sapphire crystal
    At least 5atm/50M WR (10atm/100m preferred)
    Time only or time and date. No other complications
    Price: Trying to keep it under $1000. Might be willing to stretch my budget 10-15% beyond that.

New or used, but no vintage. Bracelet preferred.

What besides the 36mm Armida A6 hits all the marks?
    Powered by 1.21 Gigawatts

Re: Smaller, affordable/mid-range anti-magnetic watches?

Smiths Prs-29a or 29am
    Fantastic watches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MadsNilsson View Post
    Smiths Prs-29a or 29am
    Fantastic watches

I was about to say the same thing.

http://www.timefactors.com/smithsprs29.htm

i think you'll struggle to find any other autos with those specs at the pice you're looking for. Ball have some good options but you're looking at 42mm cases minimum

Quartz is the better option

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MadsNilsson View Post
    Smiths Prs-29a or 29am
    Fantastic watches

Unfortunately only anti-magnetic to 20,000 A/m. The older (now discontinued) model was 50,000, but the 36mm wasn't available with sapphire and the larger one had a L2L of over 50mm.
    Powered by 1.21 Gigawatts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Auto View Post
    I was about to say the same thing.

Smiths PRS-29 Timefactors

i think you'll struggle to find any other autos with those specs at the pice you're looking for. Ball have some good options but you're looking at 42mm cases minimum

Quartz is the better option
    Yes, I thought about quartz (have a quartz in the collection for grab-and-go). If I go quartz, it would have to be a higher end, HAQ movement. Something long-lasting and non-disposable. Looked at used GS, but everything I've found is still out of budget. Most of the HAQ pieces I'm familiar with are larger watches (41+mm, like the Longines VHF), but open to recommendations if anyone knows of some in the size range.