Is the so call high accuracy for quartz exclusive for analog?

Thread: Is the so call high accuracy for quartz exclusive for analog?

Is the so call high accuracy for quartz exclusive for analog?

I know that quartz is famous for it accuracy. However I am thinking accuracy is only reserve for analog quartz and not digital quartz. Am I right to say that?

Cos I bought a cheap China analog/digital combo watch recently and I noticed the digital part is horribly inaccurate with abt +_90s per month of differents while the analog part is highly accurate with virtually no error or only +_6 per month. Since highly accurate quartz watch is cheap to produce. I don't think that China company has any difficulties obtainng cheap and accurate quartz tech. I think I saw a thread abt a guy conducting a test abt using quartz vs automatic watch but discover automatic watch is far more accurate than quartz which by right,shall not happening.. If I am not wrong,he is using digital quartz vs analog automatic watch which is why quartz fare badly against automatic watch. If he is using analog quartz vs automatic watch. I think automatic watch will lose badly in that test...

Anybody care to comment?

Re: Is the so call high accuracy for quartz exclusive for analog?

Most, if not all, of the super-accurate quartz watches, the thermocompensated ones, certainly seem to be analog but I don't see any reason why digital movements should be less accurate than analog ones.

If anything, I would have thought that, because they are solid state, ie no moving parts, it ought to be easier to make digital accurate than analog movements because there are so many more variables.

Any other ideas?

Re: Is the so call high accuracy for quartz exclusive for analog?

Quote Originally Posted by GMT-II View Post
    Cos I bought a cheap China analog/digital combo watch recently and I noticed the digital part is horribly inaccurate with abt +_90s per month of differents while the analog part is highly accurate with virtually no error or only +_6 per month.
    +/- 90s/month is very bad, for a quartz.

If the watch is using one quartz crystal to provide the time, then both the analogue and digital readings should be theortically the same. However, in reality, I expect them to be slightly different because of the moving parts of the analogue. That's just my unqualified opinion, of course.

If the watch is using 2 quartz crystals(1 for analogue and 1 for digital) then, I doubt they would give the same time, although it's possible. But I don't know, do ana-digis come with seperate crystals?

I just bought an ana-digi myself, so I'll report back in a month.

For what it's worth, my Seiko analogue quartz is siginificantly more accurate than my 2 casio digitals.

Thread Information