So glad there's PayPal... - Page 2

Thread: So glad there's PayPal...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36
  1. #11
    Member mrsnak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ventura, CA
    Posts
    8,409

    Re: So glad there's PayPal...

    Quote Originally Posted by katica View Post
    eBay isn't going to own CL 100%, they are only interested in the 25% they already have. They have: http://www.kijiji.com/ 100%. And possibly eBay Local in the future.

    Anyone have ideas on how eBay/PayPal can make this type of transaction more friendly for buyers? Would you rather PayPal not hold the money and if you have an issue then rely on the funds being available and if the seller cleared their account you are relying on a credit card chargeback?

    I completely agree that you should only fund with a CC online.
    The problem is the laundry list of ever-changing tiny legalize that PayPal uses.
    You're a new seller who wants to sell an item.
    Giant bullet points need to be made up front showing the restrictions you will have until you reach 100.
    Make the restrictions to a certain dollar amount. Less than $100 and all will be good.
    "My grail showed up today"

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5

    Re: So glad there's PayPal...

    Quote Originally Posted by mrsnak View Post
    The problem is the laundry list of ever-changing tiny legalize that PayPal uses.
    You're a new seller who wants to sell an item.
    Giant bullet points need to be made up front showing the restrictions you will have until you reach 100.
    Make the restrictions to a certain dollar amount. Less than $100 and all will be good.
    They did do that, it was anything under $100 there was no hold. Scammers reworked their plan and went below the $100 mark to get the cash flow. Every time eBay/PayPal changes their strategy to combat scams, the scammers adjust. Its never ending.

    I do like the idea of bullet pointing for every sale, perhaps the messaging the seller sees in the SYI isn't bold enough. The hold message is there though for every time they list. I have multiple eBay accounts (I sell in multiple categories) and some have less than 100 feedback while my highest account has almost 10K I have seen the message, its definitely there each time.

    Kathie

  3. #13
    Member mrsnak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ventura, CA
    Posts
    8,409

    Re: So glad there's PayPal...

    Quote Originally Posted by katica View Post
    They did do that, it was anything under $100 there was no hold. Scammers reworked their plan and went below the $100 mark to get the cash flow. Every time eBay/PayPal changes their strategy to combat scams, the scammers adjust. Its never ending.

    I do like the idea of bullet pointing for every sale, perhaps the messaging the seller sees in the SYI isn't bold enough. The hold message is there though for every time they list. I have multiple eBay accounts (I sell in multiple categories) and some have less than 100 feedback while my highest account has almost 10K I have seen the message, its definitely there each time.

    Kathie
    The bigger problem is that most people are so inundated with external input that most will not realize this. I don't read any of the messaging that eBay sends me because most of it is marketing. Right there you lost me as a reader for anything else. First place to go fix.

    The powers that be need to figure out how to make all their self-protection as in-evasive and clear as possible to non-geeks. The account interface is nowhere near as intuitive or clear as it was 10 years ago. Don't even need much of the new crap added to it. Thank Meg (now running for governor, oh joy). EBay has forgotten how to keep it simple.
    "My grail showed up today"

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5

    Re: So glad there's PayPal...

    Quote Originally Posted by mrsnak View Post
    The bigger problem is that most people are so inundated with external input that most will not realize this. I don't read any of the messaging that eBay sends me because most of it is marketing. Right there you lost me as a reader for anything else. First place to go fix.

    The powers that be need to figure out how to make all their self-protection as in-evasive and clear as possible to non-geeks. The account interface is nowhere near as intuitive or clear as it was 10 years ago. Don't even need much of the new crap added to it. Thank Meg (now running for governor, oh joy). EBay has forgotten how to keep it simple.
    Thank you for that. I agree, there is so much eBay-Speak and functionality that common people don't get it. Donahoe's "Seller Noise" comment was simply a business term gone wrong, he didn't realize that 99% of the customers wouldn't know what noise was in the communication process. I did because I take business classes. I have opportunities to tell the Powers That Be what I hear and next week is one of them. I will be sure to print out what has been said here to take with me.

    Meg had her good points, she actually had a cubicle and not an enclosed office, that was sort of cool that she wasn't diva like on the job.

    Thanks!

  6. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    630

    Re: So glad there's PayPal...

    What a joke! To cut to the chase Ebay sellers HAVE TO ACCEPT Paypal.... and being about 99% of transactions go that route any seller not expecting it is a fool, or in this case just a liar. So the money is tied up in their PP, that's their problem.

    PS.. I'm a seller with 1903 @ 100%. It ain't that hard!

  7. #16
    Member Alathea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    2,315

    Re: So glad there's PayPal...

    It may not "be that hard" but PP is still expecting me to send merchandise before I have been compensated. The "we'll pay you after wards, within 25 days, tuesday for a hamburger today" should be something negotiated between the buyer and seller, not enshrined as some sort of protection. I rarely deal with PP/Ebay anymore since I refuse to send merchandise when I have not been paid. I build the shipping into the start bid, and either way they get their money and I 'eventually' get mine. That's BS.
    "...All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.....
    ----------------------------------

  8. #17
    Member msp1518's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    409

    Re: So glad there's PayPal...

    I'm nearing 600 feedback, 100% positive. Were I just starting out on eBay today, I wouldn't. I flat out would not do it. It's far too restrictive. The no money orders policy is an eBay scam so they can get more of your money through Pay-Pal fees.

    And now we are forced to buy insurance and delivery confirmation on all items we sell to protect ourselves from buyers who wish to commit fraud. "The package never arrived" or "It arrived damaged" are the two BS excuses made by buyers looking for free items.

    My shipping costs for low cost items have skyrocketed as a result and so basically, I barely sell anything anymore. I can't. A $5 item with $2.50 shipping could sell. But a $5 item with $5 to $6.75 shipping is not going to sell.

    eBay is only worthwhile with higher cost items at this point.

  9. #18
    Member Beau8's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    23,402

    Re: So glad there's PayPal...

    Ditto~

  10. #19
    Member mrsnak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ventura, CA
    Posts
    8,409

    Re: So glad there's PayPal...

    Quote Originally Posted by msp1518 View Post
    I'm nearing 600 feedback, 100% positive. Were I just starting out on eBay today, I wouldn't. I flat out would not do it. It's far too restrictive. The no money orders policy is an eBay scam so they can get more of your money through Pay-Pal fees.

    And now we are forced to buy insurance and delivery confirmation on all items we sell to protect ourselves from buyers who wish to commit fraud. "The package never arrived" or "It arrived damaged" are the two BS excuses made by buyers looking for free items.

    My shipping costs for low cost items have skyrocketed as a result and so basically, I barely sell anything anymore. I can't. A $5 item with $2.50 shipping could sell. But a $5 item with $5 to $6.75 shipping is not going to sell.

    eBay is only worthwhile with higher cost items at this point.
    At one point a few years back, I think the magic number was about $17+change for an item to be profitable. I think the logic behind pushing up the fees was not only to increase shareholder wealth, but to drive off the small change that didn't really add to eBay's profitability.

    This killed the great garage sale venue that eBay used to be. I used to get so many wonderful vintage watches then at real garage sale prices.

    I do agree that eBay monopolizing and requiring Paypal has caused them self-inflicted (and often well-deserved) grief. Of course people are going to be upset with eBay when eBay's required payment method goes awry. Somehow the days of money orders and checks, though sometimes fraught with peril, still involved personal choice and responsibility. There is a difference.

    • Paypal doesn't do us any favors by having the nag screen insisting that we pay not by credit card, but by either our PP account or checking account.

    • The same with requiring PP account money be used before allowing the credit card to be used. Payments should only be funded by credit card to insure a safer transaction.

    • Giving sellers the option to disallow funding by credit card on Paypal payments to them. Bad.

    I used to sell a more frequently, but with the increased fees, I choose very carefully. I'd much prefer to sell a watch on a Sales Corner so that I can keep more of the money.

    On the other hand, If I have an item that might get me more if I listed it, I might do that. It also takes a lot of my time to prepare and list an item on eBay. I need to factor this in. I've given away watches because it would be far more effort to try and sell them. More fun to do this, too

    I do tend to buy quite a bit on eBay, though, but mostly it's to find the deals or the odd ducks from people who didn't list their item properly, especially the BINs.
    Last edited by mrsnak; November 26th, 2009 at 20:42.
    "My grail showed up today"

  11. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    630

    Re: So glad there's PayPal...

    Quote Originally Posted by Alathea View Post
    It may not "be that hard" but PP is still expecting me to send merchandise before I have been compensated. The "we'll pay you after wards, within 25 days, tuesday for a hamburger today" should be something negotiated between the buyer and seller, not enshrined as some sort of protection. I rarely deal with PP/Ebay anymore since I refuse to send merchandise when I have not been paid. I build the shipping into the start bid, and either way they get their money and I 'eventually' get mine. That's BS.

    I didn't read much of this thread, and maybe I'm missing something, but what does a Paypal hold have to do with the buyer not getting what they paid for? Do you really think there's a risk associated with Paypal holding your money? If that's the case you are definitely in the wrong business, or at least the wrong way of conducting business... through ebay. A couple years back when I created a new account and the funds were held it didn't stop me from sending anything, just was a pain because I could not use that money to purchase.

    Again if i missed something please let me know, but with all the fraud there should be regulations for new users to Paypal, & Ebay. Obviously Paypal has no problem hanging on to the money for their own benefit, but what can you do. Their game, their rules, we just play.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •