So glad there's PayPal...

Thread: So glad there's PayPal...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

So glad there's PayPal...

So I've been watching a Fortis Eco Spacematic on ebay for the last 3 days. The auction closed at around 0200 CST and I won the watch. I promptly paid for it via PayPal and went to bed.

Wake up this morning, drinking my coffee, surfing the magic internet, when I get an email from the seller stating that PayPal won't release the funds to him so he's refunding my money and asking for a cashier's check or money order. He says in so many words that it's PayPal's fault. I call PayPal to find out what exactly is going on. They tell me because of the seller's limited history/seller rating there's a hold on the funds until they get a tracking number from him confirming shipment and positive feedback from me confirming receipt of the item.

I call the seller and explain this to him and he states PayPal never told him that. I tell him I'll go ahead and pay for the item again, via PayPal, and we'll go from there. Guess what? You guessed it, same song and dance. Then he asks me if I want to send the money to his buddy's PayPal account without any involvement from ebay. I kindly declined and needless to say I still don't have the Spacematic.

Be careful people, for all I know he may not of even had the watch.

-Fan of PayPal

Ps. Last week I bought a watch off of Craigslist and paid for it via PayPal. They called me not 10 minutes after I completed the transaction to ensure that I was in control of my account and aware of the transaction.

Re: So glad there's PayPal...

As a seller I have been (and am currently on) Paypals new 'we hold your money' policy. To say it is annoying is an understatement. I just sold a bike for $600.00, buy my money will not be available until the buyer either leaves positive feedback or 21 days without a complaint passes. OR POSSIBLY earlier if they can prove delivery. This is all because I have only 55 spectacular flawless feedbacks and not the 100 they require. As a seller it is absolutely freaking annoying. BUT, he should have realized that this was HIS problem and not yours. In the future, I plan to avoid the EBAY connection w/ paypal all together.

Quote Originally Posted by Hall View Post
    As a seller I have been (and am currently on) Paypals new 'we hold your money' policy. To say it is annoying is an understatement. I just sold a bike for $600.00, buy my money will not be available until the buyer either leaves positive feedback or 21 days without a complaint passes. OR POSSIBLY earlier if they can prove delivery. This is all because I have only 55 spectacular flawless feedbacks and not the 100 they require. As a seller it is absolutely freaking annoying. BUT, he should have realized that this was HIS problem and not yours. In the future, I plan to avoid the EBAY connection w/ paypal all together.
    Or stick with small sells to get you beyond that point. So much scamming on eBay, they're desperate to try and fix things - they just aren't doing it well.
    "My grail showed up today"

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by CHICKENHAWK View Post
    So I've been watching a Fortis Eco Spacematic on ebay for the last 3 days. The auction closed at around 0200 CST and I won the watch. I promptly paid for it via PayPal and went to bed.

Wake up this morning, drinking my coffee, surfing the magic internet, when I get an email from the seller stating that PayPal won't release the funds to him so he's refunding my money and asking for a cashier's check or money order. He says in so many words that it's PayPal's fault. I call PayPal to find out what exactly is going on. They tell me because of the seller's limited history/seller rating there's a hold on the funds until they get a tracking number from him confirming shipment and positive feedback from me confirming receipt of the item.

I call the seller and explain this to him and he states PayPal never told him that. I tell him I'll go ahead and pay for the item again, via PayPal, and we'll go from there. Guess what? You guessed it, same song and dance. Then he asks me if I want to send the money to his buddy's PayPal account without any involvement from ebay. I kindly declined and needless to say I still don't have the Spacematic.

Be careful people, for all I know he may not of even had the watch.

-Fan of PayPal

Ps. Last week I bought a watch off of Craigslist and paid for it via PayPal. They called me not 10 minutes after I completed the transaction to ensure that I was in control of my account and aware of the transaction.
    Of course - the seller could be a one-time seller and not be penalized. It was a smooth deal for him.
    The difference was that you bought from Craigslist. eBay doesn't own completely Craigslist yet. Craig still does. Seller will not have these restrictions on Craigslist, but the eBay buyer protection will not be available there for you. Sounds like eBay/Paypal was trying to make you feel slightly uncomfortable about paying this way, but a lot of people are duped a lot of ways these days.
    If paying anything by Paypal ALWAYS fund ONLY by credit card- and a company that has good customer service. I use Amex.
    Last edited by mrsnak; November 24th, 2009 at 04:45.
    "My grail showed up today"

PP is correct in this instance, and here is how it works. HE got an email explaining as much, and it showed up in his account details screen, as well, so that part is BS.

If you have less than 100 feedback on Ebay and are a seller, PP holds the funds from you until the transaction is closed by receiving notification of arrival by tracking number (either from themselves or you provide the tracking from your purchased label-still takes up to a week after you already see it has arrived) and/or by your receiving positive feedback. It happened to me once, and I reversed the funds and the buyer sent me a MO instead. PP wont release until positive feedback or tracking confirmation, meaning you have to send your parcel before you actually 'get paid'.

PITA-especially if you have built the shipping of a larger or heavier item into the starting bid.
    Last edited by Alathea; November 24th, 2009 at 04:55.
    "...All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.....
    ----------------------------------

Interesting, I was unaware of that. I was under the impression it was because this individual may have had a checkered past and PayPal was just trying to protect me.

Better safe than sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by CHICKENHAWK View Post
    Interesting, I was unaware of that. I was under the impression it was because this individual may have had a checkered past and PayPal was just trying to protect me.
    You are correct in a way. They are trying to protect you - or avoid the possiblility that you will file a claim - but it doesn't mean the seller is shady at all. This policy has really turned me off as a seller. Otherwise, I truly do appreciate using paypal and insist on using it. But, when you sell something and have to wait almost a month to access your money, it is a total buzzkill.

You are correct in a way. They are trying to protect you - or avoid the possiblility that you will file a claim - but it doesn't mean the seller is shady at all. This policy has really turned me off as a seller. Otherwise, I truly do appreciate using paypal and insist on using it. But, when you sell something and have to wait almost a month to access your money, it is a total buzzkill.
    Hi there,

I help on the PayPal forums (for the last five or so years), this was implemented a long time ago. In past years, when a seller received money, if the seller did not ship the goods the buyer would file a claim and if the account was empty the buyers only recourse was a chargeback if they used a card to fund the purchase. That was before the Buyer Protections got tighter and geared more towards buyers. Now a buyer can file a claim and it doesn't matter if the account is empty, if the buyer wins they are guaranteed their money back. So, PayPal has to limit their risk by making this policy.

The seller is fully aware that there is going to be a hold beforehand because while listing the item on eBay in the Sell Your Item form (SYI) it tells the seller that when they are in the payment section, if they miss it they are basically blind.

Believe me, I know its annoying but I've seen so many buyers who lost their money like with the Xbox 360 (and Wii) scams at Christmas, it was hard to tell them they lost money and their kids weren't getting their presents. :(

A good way to know initially if a seller is going to have their payments held is if they have a feedback score under 100. And do not pay another PayPal account, this will result in losing your PayPal Buyer Protection.
    See here: https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?&...20for%20Buyers.

13.3 PayPal Buyer Protection

1. What are the eligibility requirements for PayPal Buyer Protection?
      You must meet all of these requirements:
      • Use PayPal to purchase an eligible item on eBay.
      • Pay for the full amount of the item with one payment. Items purchased with multiple payments – like a deposit followed by a final payment – are not eligible.
      • Send the payment to the seller through:
        • The eBay "Pay Now" button, or
        • the eBay invoice,

• Open a Dispute within 45 days of the date you sent the payment – then follow the online dispute resolution process described below under Dispute Resolution.
      • Keep your PayPal account in good standing.

Kathie

Quote Originally Posted by mrsnak View Post
    Of course - the seller could be a one-time seller and not be penalized. It was a smooth deal for him.
    The difference was that you bought from Craigslist. eBay doesn't own completely Craigslist yet. Craig still does. Seller will not have these restrictions on Craigslist, but the eBay buyer protection will not be available there for you. Sounds like eBay/Paypal was trying to make you feel slightly uncomfortable about paying this way, but a lot of people are duped a lot of ways these days.
    If paying anything by Paypal ALWAYS fund ONLY by credit card- and a company that has good customer service. I use Amex.
    eBay isn't going to own CL 100%, they are only interested in the 25% they already have. They have: http://www.kijiji.com/ 100%. And possibly eBay Local in the future.

Anyone have ideas on how eBay/PayPal can make this type of transaction more friendly for buyers? Would you rather PayPal not hold the money and if you have an issue then rely on the funds being available and if the seller cleared their account you are relying on a credit card chargeback?

I completely agree that you should only fund with a CC online.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast