So how do a woman's and a man's watch differ?
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: So how do a woman's and a man's watch differ?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Banned

So how do a woman's and a man's watch differ?

So there's an active thread about a fellow who unwittingly purchased a watch that is listed on its manufacturer's web site in the ladies section. Someone posted a picture of it and, frankly, maybe I'm testosterone challenged, but I'd probably buy it for myself (and I have both x and y chromosomes btw). That thread is dwelling on whether or not he was purposefully misled, but I want to explore the related question of just what is it that undeniably differentiates a man's watch from a woman's watch, regardless of where the manufacturer posts it on their website.

I think I can only say it's the size. Maybe 36mm and smaller is women's and children's. But case metal, color, number of subdials, color of strap, presence of precious gems, crown on left v right, whatever -- I think I could find a guy's watch that meets whatever else might be offered as a gal's by description.

So, short of internal vs external whizit (trying to be family friendly) anatomy, what determines the gender of a watch? What would you have to see strapped to a guy's wrist to cause you to question their true manliness?

Re: So how do a woman's and a man's watch differ?

After that last thread I think the only conclusion to be reached is that some mens watches appeal to some men and some women while some men and some women are attracted to some womens watches.

It is interesting how an expensive watch that was originally found to be so attractive could become so completely reviled simply because it might have been marketed to women.

Women's are quartz, men's are mechanical.

Just kidding, please don't take this seriously - I even have a quartz watch and am a guy.

I saw the thread re: the Tags and can honestly say I still don't know which is the women's and which is the men's. But in general I would say that very small watches (i.e 31mm and less) or watches with feminine attributes such as hearts, pink colours, etc. would obviously be women's watches. Considering oversized watches are currently in style, there are some fashion watches that could be confusing such as the big gold painted Michael Kors that are popular - I'd normally say these are for women because they are pure fashion watches, but I have seen a guy wearing one. Otherwise I'd say that many of the regular sized, decent watches are men's watches that some women have decided to wear.
    Last edited by cedargrove; August 31st, 2012 at 00:26.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Male and female movements, of course.

By and large, there are bound to be exceptions to the rule, but the below list comprise some main differentiating attributes between male and female watches.

1) Diamonds
    2) No. of dials/complications. Most ladies' watches are simple time-only models.
    3) Presence of feminine/masculine characteristics. Watches with polka dotted hearts or dials with mother-of-pearl are invariably marketed to ladies, while pilot watches with aircraft engravings are targeted at gents.
    4) Size

Quote Originally Posted by cedargrove View Post
    Women's are quartz, men's are mechanical.

Just kidding, please don't take this seriously - I even have a quartz watch and am a guy.
    My drink almost came through my nose as I was reading this...too funny.
    I have a quartz too, but have facial hair that I shave everyday (ooops, that still doesn't necessarily help distinguish male versus female, does it?).
    TheSmilingAssassin and zzz1 like this.

you can tell by how a watch a proportioned. also, women's watches tend to have softer curves while men's watches look more masculine.
    :)

14060m, 16200, Pam48, AT8500, El Primero 1969, Speedy FOIS, Antea KS, Orion Minimatik, ST8000SA Tourbillon, Zeppelin 7618-1

want: ALS Saxonia, PP Nautilus,

I think one of the most important factors is size. Look at cartier, they have a range of models that vary from 28mm to 40+ and the bigger versions are for men whilst the smaller for women.

There days, it depends on the watch.

One is labeled as male version and one is labeled as female. To separate them, there will be some forced differences such as 1mm, etc.
    Last edited by watchRus; September 1st, 2012 at 20:31.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information