So, I threw the Watch Snob a Bone.
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: So, I threw the Watch Snob a Bone.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

So, I threw the Watch Snob a Bone.

Sinn Watches - AskMen

The first letter above the Black Monster came from me, swear to God. If you don't believe me, well, I'm sorry. I did not lie about any information I gave him, but I gave him a reasonably priced watch that would be pretty hard to insult (even though there is other watches that I would purchase first), and well he did. I guess we already knew that he got paid to troll? Well anyways, he did praise Seiko to some extent if you will... Again he contradicted himself because the watch he recommended is most likely less than his 3k minimum starting point for a quality piece. Also, someone correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this about a 700 dollar watch? I think it is. At point point he stated that buying a watch any watch under 3k wasn't worth buying. Oh well, what can we do with this man?
    Last edited by Shepperdw; January 30th, 2012 at 05:46.

Re: So, I threw the Watch Snob a Bone.

He thinks watches between $1000-$3000 are a waste of money because you are basically paying for the same thing as you would with a $700 dollar watch. So, in fact, he does recommend several watches below the $1000 price point. However, the Black Monstrosity is not one of those recommendations.

On I side note, I think it is awesome that you wrote him a letter and he answered. I often wondered if the letter writers were just B.S. fabricated for his article.
    Last edited by CogitoErgoSum; January 30th, 2012 at 06:07.

Quote Originally Posted by CogitoErgoSum View Post
    He thinks watches between $1000-$3000 are a waste of money because you are basically paying for the same thing as you would with a $700 dollar watch. So, in fact, he does recommend several watches below the $1000 price point. However, the Black Monstrosity is not one of those recommendations.
    The Black Monstrosity? Congratulations, you are one of the exceptions that actually insult the Seiko Monsters. :P

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Watch Snobs words, not mine!

You asked about a watch, and he suggested a watch that he prefers in your price range. Seems like a pretty reasonable answer, and I'm not sure how you could have a problem with it. You prefaced the letter by saying you couldn't afford an expensive watch, so it's hardly a "contradiction" that he gave you a practical answer instead of one that couldn't possibly help you because you can't afford the watch he'd otherwise recommend.

I'm generally in agreement with him that below $3000 or so you tend to be getting basically the same thing regardless of price. If I can get an ETA movement in a $400 watch, it's hard to see how a $2400 watch with the same movement has $2000 of stainless-steel craftsmanship in it. That's never stopped me from buying one of those watches, but I'm fairly happy to acknowledge that I'm paying an awful lot for just a brand name.
    Chronopolis, Steel28 and TheWalrus like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
    You asked about a watch, and he suggested a watch that he prefers in your price range. Seems like a pretty reasonable answer, and I'm not sure how you could have a problem with it. You prefaced the letter by saying you couldn't afford an expensive watch, so it's hardly a "contradiction" that he gave you a practical answer instead of one that couldn't possibly help you because you can't afford the watch he'd otherwise recommend.

I'm generally in agreement with him that below $3000 or so you tend to be getting basically the same thing regardless of price. If I can get an ETA movement in a $400 watch, it's hard to see how a $2400 watch with the same movement has $2000 of stainless-steel craftsmanship in it. That's never stopped me from buying one of those watches, but I'm fairly happy to acknowledge that I'm paying an awful lot for just a brand name.
    I have no problem with his answer to this at all. I actually find the guy hilarious. The only point that I was making is that he can get so carried away with making a point and refuting every other answer to do so, that he sometimes has to take back what he said. :P. I like the Watch Snob, and I can be as snarky as him. If I didn't like him, I wouldn't have wrote him. I do like the Black Monster though and it is "iconic" to the affordable watch enthusiasts.

Well I'm with him on the 556, I'd take one over the BM any day. But it's also at least 3 or 4 times the price, so I don't think he answered your question regarding the BM or an affordable equivalent.
    LosTresGatos and sl7vk like this.

The only point that I was making is that he can get so carried away with making a point and refuting every other answer to do so, that he sometimes has to take back what he said.
    And my point was that I'm not seeing that here. He can think that watches under $3000 aren't worth buying and still suggest one that he likes better than the Seiko. He's definitely contradicted himself before (most likely because he's written by multiple people), but his reply to your letter isn't one of those times.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    Well I'm with him on the 556, I'd take one over the BM any day. But it's also at least 3 or 4 times the price, so I don't think he answered your question regarding the BM or an affordable equivalent.
    I agree with Glenn. WatchRecon has a used 556 on bracelet being offered at $925...and Sinn is quoting 590 Euros for a new 556 w/ leather strap which should come out close to $900 after shipping and duties/taxes. Only a watch snob disconnected with reality would think that a person who budgets $200 for a BM could justify "squeezing" an extra $700 to get into a Sinn.
    brandon\ likes this.
    Consolidation complete! Down from 17 watches to 2 grails + 3 support
    Rolex Seadweller 16600 / ALS Saxonia / Casio Edifice (travel) / Hamilton Intramatic (ultra-thin dress) / Kadloo Match Race (tool)

...and the "Black Monstrosity" isn't available at Wal-Mart.
    "Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information