And so, it's down to these two ...

View Poll Results: Which one?

Voters
52. This poll is closed
  • The JLC!

39 75.00%
  • The Breguet!

12 23.08%
  • Something else (please mention choice) ...

1 1.92%
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: And so, it's down to these two ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    v76

Question And so, it's down to these two ...

As I've mentioned in a couple of threads before, I'm aggressively whittling down my collection (planning to get rid of about 9-10 watches by the end of the month) and get a single watch in exchange. The contenders as of now (I don't think this will change, but stranger things have happened ) ...

JLC Master Memovox with the cal. 956

Breguet Type XXI with the cal. 584

(both images borrowed)

I know both these watches are completely different, but for me they're available at a similar pricepoint.

Arguments for the JLC
    1. Don't have a mechanical watch with an alarm, can't think of any better
    2. Great movement, very practical complication and not a common one
    3. The watch looks great, perhaps a bit formal, but I foresee being able to wear it in any setting bar sporting activities
    4. It's a JLC!

Arguments for the Breguet
    1. I like chronographs, and this is a fine example
    2. Central minute totalizer, flyback seconds, 12-hour totalizer, and 24-hour display at "3" which can be used for a 2nd time zone
    3. Looks great, and it is a Breguet!

Both the watches have some pedigree and history, they look really good and are practically near best their type (perhaps the JLC more so than the Breguet). Well, I probably have about two weeks before I make the plunge ...
    Last edited by v76; December 7th, 2011 at 15:59.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Re: And so, it's down to these two ...

JLC. Classic look that will last much longer than the Breguet. It is understated and will not draw a ton of attention from anyone that does not know watches. The Breguet is just too busy. I do not like the color, or the date at 6 (interferes with reading chrono). I think you may have made a mistake, the Breguet is not a 24 hour totalizer, that is a 24 hour time display at 3. If it were not for the date at 6 and the dial color on the Breguet, it would be a much closer call.

I haven't voted (yet) because it's such a tough one. I would love a mechanical alarm and I think it would be a very useful complication, but I prefer the looks of the Breguet. So I've been of no help - you're welcome

Oh to have such a hard decision to make

Did you change your avatar?! I don't like it when people do that!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The Breguet.

As much as I recognize how iconic the "Memovox" is for JLC, I have never found an alarm complication something I used.

OTOH, the Breguet is the only company making an integrated construction central minute accumulator chrono at this time. Buy it. Lemania lives on...

OTOTOH, some might say a JLC Memovox should be part of any collection, and I suspect it will hold its value better, making it easier to flip later for a Breguet XXII....

v76

Sorry, my mistake. I meant to say 12 hour totalizer and 24 hour display that can be used for a 2nd time zone.

Quote Originally Posted by J_Hack View Post
    JLC. Classic look that will last much longer than the Breguet. It is understated and will not draw a ton of attention from anyone that does not know watches. The Breguet is just too busy. I do not like the color, or the date at 6 (interferes with reading chrono). I think you may have made a mistake, the Breguet is not a 24 hour totalizer, that is a 24 hour time display at 3. If it were not for the date at 6 and the dial color on the Breguet, it would be a much closer call.
    Collection:

Hi,

Given these choices, I would select the JLC. It is the timeless classic IMO.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by v76 View Post
    As I've mentioned in a couple of threads before, I'm aggressively whittling down my collection (planning to get rid of about 9-10 watches by the end of the month) and get a single watch in exchange. The contenders as of now (I don't think this will change, but stranger things have happened ) ...

JLC Master Memovox with the cal. 956

Breguet Type XXI with the cal. 584

(both images borrowed)

I know both these watches are completely different, but for me they're available at a similar pricepoint.

Arguments for the JLC
    1. Don't have a mechanical watch with an alarm, can't think of any better
    2. Great movement, very practical complication and not a common one
    3. The watch looks great, perhaps a bit formal, but I foresee being able to wear it in any setting bar sporting activities
    4. It's a JLC!

Arguments for the Breguet
    1. I like chronographs, and this is a fine example
    2. Central minute totalizer, flyback seconds, 24-hour totalizer which can be used for a 2nd time zone
    3. Looks great, and it is a Breguet!

Both the watches have some pedigree and history, they look really good and are practically near best their type (perhaps the JLC more so than the Breguet). Well, I probably have about two weeks before I make the plunge ...
    __________________________________________________ __________________

AUDEMARS PIGUET | BLANCPAIN | DAMASKO | GRAND SEIKO | ROLEX

I would go JLC all the way.
    There are a lot of things I just don't get about the Breguet. The coin edge bezel and case seem awkward, and I'm not a fan of how all three sub dials have different style hands. In my opinion this one doesn't even hold a candle to the chronos you already have in your collection.
    I also love simple elegance, which pretty much sums up the JLC.
    -rob

v76

I know, a bit of a dilemma for me ... both watches are quite special.

Sorry about the avatar change, got tired of the old one

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    I haven't voted (yet) because it's such a tough one. I would love a mechanical alarm and I think it would be a very useful complication, but I prefer the looks of the Breguet. So I've been of no help - you're welcome

Oh to have such a hard decision to make

Did you change your avatar?! I don't like it when people do that!
    Collection:

You can't lose either way. With out looking at them in person I'm leaning towards the Breguet. For no good reason other than I prefer the looks of it.

RS

Follow Me

v76

Thank you for your opinions, gents!

Quote Originally Posted by reuswatch View Post
    I would go JLC all the way.
    There are a lot of things I just don't get about the Breguet. The coin edge bezel and case seem awkward, and I'm not a fan of how all three sub dials have different style hands. In my opinion this one doesn't even hold a candle to the chronos you already have in your collection.
    I also love simple elegance, which pretty much sums up the JLC.
    -rob
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty_Shakleford View Post
    You can't lose either way. With out looking at them in person I'm leaning towards the Breguet. For no good reason other than I prefer the looks of it.

RS
    Quote Originally Posted by iim7v7im7 View Post
    Hi,

Given these choices, I would select the JLC. It is the timeless classic IMO.

Bob
    Collection:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information