So many watch options - help me narrow down
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: So many watch options - help me narrow down

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

So many watch options - help me narrow down

Hi, I'm new here but based on a Watchtime post on how to find your perfect watch they suggest posting in watch forums. Makes sense since I often post in photography forums and try to help those who are learning there.

I'm looking for two kinds of watches, but first some context.

Up until recently the only watch I was down to was my Garmin runners watch, which I wore daily and for running. I had simplified down to that watch because my Shinola watch had died just the battery, but not sure I loved the watch). Before that I've had a number of watches over the years including G-Shocks, Tag Heuer, Victorinix/Swiss Army and others. But my favorite was a watch that I bought on our honeymoon in Italy around 2000. I dropped that watch one or twice and it lost the ability to accurately track time.

I can't tell you what the brand was, but I'd love to replace it - it's one of the watches I'm looking for. Basically what I'm looking for is watch with a simple black face, matte steel case and nice black leather strap, with date. I know that that sounds like a million watches, but I'm trying to narrow it down to some options.

I bought a Sinn 556i for this purpose, but I'm not sure that's it. It is a great watch, but a little smaller than I might haver expected and even all of the minute lines combined are a bit much. FWIW I have around a 7 inch wrist. But I'm not sure I'd be a fan of big watches, like things 45mm and over. I don't know yet. Other suggestions appreciated. Budget? I'm flexible.I've even going so far as to look at Tudor and Omega (I prefer simple leather straps) and others. I fell in love with Nomos then backed off.

I'm also making up for lost time in analog watches. The second kind of watch is more on the unique, fun side. I'm a designer by trade and looking for unique, interesting or colorful watches. I bought a Seiko Prospex SNE537 which I like a lot. But I'd love to find more inexpensive watches aimed at this goal. Suggestions appreciated. I've also looked at more expensive watches like the Sinn U1 and T2. Probably more standard, but there's something about the "tool" watches that I like. Perhaps it's the combination of utility and design that appeals to me; form and function.

I've done a ton of research and there are so many watches out there. I feel that I need some points of view and recommendations to point me to the possibly right options.

In any event, I know that as a new poster my question is somewhat random and unfocused. That's how it goes, but I'll respond to questions to help clarify the ask. I'm kind of overwhelmed by the choices and I'd appreciate recommendations. Thank you in advance!
    rcsub likes this.

Re: So many watch options - help me narrow down

This is your first post, so please allow me to extend a warm welcome to the larger Watch U Seek family.

You are right that watch forums are a good start but please keep in mind that many will guide you down a path based on their own opinion and may not be what you are looking for. What you need is to set boundaries so that suggestions can be provided. To summarise into point form, the two watches you are looking for are:
    1) A watch with a simple black face, matte steel case and nice black leather strap, with date.
    2) unique, interesting or colorful watches.

You currently have a Sinn 556i but you're not sure about it - i.e. too small and a Seiko Prospex SNE537. You also said that you have a 7 inch wrist.

Your Rules:
    - No watches over 45mm.
    - Budget up to Tudor and Omega.
    - You like a "tool" watch/look.

For your watch in (1), how about a Tudor Black Bay Steel? Black dial, brushed case, date and works on bracelet and tonnes of straps from fabric to leather. https://www.tudorwatch.com/watches/b...el/m79730-0005

Alternatively, a Breitling Superocean42 meets your requirement as well.
    Name:  Tudor_BBS.png
Views: 82
Size:  163.0 KBAttachment 14232421

For your watch in (2), consider Swatch Big Bold. Colourful watches comes in all designs and patterns, from coloured dials to straps. Unfortunately they are no available in my country and I can't cut & paste a link for you so you will need to Google it. They are cheap, bright and funky. You will be able to afford keeping up with the latest trends of the year.

All the best in your search.
    expLr-2 likes this.

Welcome to the forum! I love my Tudor Pelagos and Black Bay Red. As well as my SMPc Omega. Any are great choices.! Good luck. Name:  EA5985E2-C74F-4835-9D48-98325831CD4C.jpeg
Views: 80
Size:  677.8 KBName:  A2789EA6-B546-43AA-884C-EC97605D83B3.jpeg
Views: 89
Size:  672.4 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

IWC Mark XVIII

Damasko DA36
    IG: @wtma
    ---
    CASIO G-SHOCK GMW-B5000-1
    SEIKO PROSPEX MARINEMASTER PROFESSIONAL SBBN007
    GLYCINE AIRMAN VINTAGE 1953 LE 3904.14/66AIRMAN DC-4 3904.19H24/66
    DAMASKO LARGE AVIATOR MANUFACTORY CALIBRE DK15

TUDOR HERITAGE BLACK BAY 36 M79500-0004
    BREITLING PREMIER AUTOMATIC 40 A37340351B1A1
    OMEGA SPEEDMASTER PROFESSIONAL MOONWATCH 311.30.42.30.01.006
    ROLEX OYSTER PERPETUAL DATEJUST 36 126234-0025 (GRAIL)

Thank you all! Some good ideas. I'll have to think about including numerals or just lines/symbols. But all of these recommendations are beautiful and on target.

I wish I had kept that watch I bought in Italy, but at some point in the past after it stopped working accurately I threw it out : ( But, I can take the spirit of that and find something for today.

I'm aware of Swatch, but honestly I have not looked at them. I will. I knew about them a long time ago when they were fairly new.

Quote Originally Posted by marcusp23 View Post
    IWC Mark XVIII
    +1

Simple, clean, well made watch that would last a lifetime and looks good just about anywhere

Can I suggest that you browse the WRUW (what are you wearing) threads. It’s a sure bet that something on there will grab you.
    Nokie and Time4Playnow like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    Can I suggest that you browse the WRUW (what are you wearing) threads. It’s a sure bet that something on there will grab you.
    Yes!

Also use the search engine here if you see a particular model that appeals to you.

Lots and LOTS of good watch info here if you look a bit.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information