So what is the line between Homage and copy cat??

Thread: So what is the line between Homage and copy cat??

So what is the line between Homage and copy cat??

not knocking it by no means so please don't flame and this is by no means the only example..........but what IS the line between homage and just a plain ol wanna be. In this example they have even tried to replicate the bracelet. There are countless other examples, to me the Steinhart is a classic Rolex clone...........................these watches are good watches in their own right, I just would like to see an attempt at some differences.

just my $.02 on it
    NC Stan

Omega SeaMaster Pro
    TH Aquaracer
    Tissot PRS 516
    Sector 450 Chrono
    Zodiac V-Wolf
    Seiko Black & Orange Monster
    Oris BC3
    Hamilton Khaki Navy
    Bathys UV Quartz
    Doxa 600T Pro.
    Clerc CXX Scuba
    and too many others.......

"time has little to do with infinity and jelly donuts..."

Retired and living in the mountains of Northeast Pennsylvania

Re: So what is the line between Homage and copy cat??

Not really sure, Stan, but moving this to the Public Forum which is the most appropriate venue for this question.
    Steve

My favorite diver? Jessica Alba, of course!

A Homage watch pays tribute to where the design came from and it is a homage because it is no longer made by the original maker. Can also be made by the original maker as a homage to an older design ie Doxa.

All the others are knock offs, it is irrelivant how well they are made IMHO these include steinhart and all the other crap who play on that their watches looking like more expensive versions to get sales, but also claim they are just as good, check out Stienharts site and check the feed back forum its a complete joke. I believe (and remember this is my opinion) that this is just like buying a full on fake.
    Last edited by jdub; January 6th, 2007 at 00:17.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Breitling Forum Moderator SnapIT's Avatar

The difference is in the extreme. A watch may look like the original but never incorporated the design criteria of the original so will never survive when put to the test. The list of possible failure points that Rolex, Breitling or Omega and the other high performance manufacturers design for would put the cost of the copiers out of business if they achieved the criteria and then sold for a tenth of the price which is what they would have you believe they can do.
    Whether its case material, sealing systems, movement finish and function, crystal coating systems, regulation and out and out COSC testing, dial finish and the science of information presentation, none of the copiers pass these hurdles in any documented way other then to say my watch looks like the original so it must perform like the original.
    Last edited by SnapIT; January 6th, 2007 at 01:19.
    Cheers,
    SnapIT

Seize the day, it ain't coming around again. . . .
    Click to check for the correct time around the world..

Quote Originally Posted by SnapIT View Post
    The difference is in the extreme. A watch may look like the original but never incorporated the design criteria of the original so will never survive when put to the test. The list of possible failure points that Rolex, Breitling or Omega and the other high performance manufacturers design for would put the cost of the copiers out of business if they achieved the criteria and then sold for a tenth of the price which is what they would have you believe they can do.
    Whether its case material, sealing systems, movement finish and function, crystal coating systems, regulation and out and out COSC testing, dial finish and the science of information presentation, none of the copiers pass these hurdles in any documented way other then to say my watch looks like the original so it must perform like the original.
    These are all good points and I don't disagree at all AS LONG AS you grant that a SIZABLE CHUNK of price differences come SOLELY from the NAME/PRESTIGE factor of the old line players.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Funny, I've been recently conjecturing where's the line that separes a legal copy from a fake.

Isn't there a grey line, when the watch becomes too similar to the original?
    Then there's the question of the legal copies parts (modern watch copies), aren't they buying the partes from the same factories that supply the fakes?

I had to review my positions on this theme when I've realized I like the Panerai style. I like it, but not enough to spend $3,000 on a watch with a modified Unitas inside, given that a Rolex costs the same and it's real manufacture. They're way overpriced on account of a successfull marketing strategy, up to the point of creating a concept of letters to identify the year and give an appearance of more uniqueness to their models with subtle changes. I take my hat to Richemond, people bought it all. Plus, the unique look of Panerai allowed to create a strong bunch of fans and admirers, almost worshippers.

It bugged me that I could be buying a watch made from the same parts that can be found in a fake. But after some thought I made a parallell with the gun industry: it's not the gun and ammo producers that are the problem, it's what you do with thier products, so the same applies to the watch industry, if I'm buying a legal watch with parts that are also used in fakes, what I'm really doing is making a good use of it!

After that it was easy to me to buy the IWI Marine Diver, and I couldn't be happier. But that's me and my view on this, some people may never rest until they get the real thing. santasmile

Audaces Fortuna Juvat
    If I have to choose between people or watches... I choose people everytime!
    Cheers,
    Paulo

Breitling Forum Moderator SnapIT's Avatar

I'm there with you on this Tragic. One generates the other and can stand up to the rap generated in the publicity. No clone/fake/wannabe factory has sponsored the Sydney to Hobart Ocean Race Classic. If you want to see rich boys toys on the cutting edge... and they still break !! But at least they break in the trying not in the bathtub.

http://rolexsydneyhobart.com/editorial.asp?key=527

Raw power - before and after..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by SnapIT; January 6th, 2007 at 02:36.
    Cheers,
    SnapIT

Seize the day, it ain't coming around again. . . .
    Click to check for the correct time around the world..

Quote Originally Posted by SnapIT View Post
    ...the Sydney to Hobart Ocean Race Classic. If you want to see rich boys toys on the cutting edge...
    Don't they liken ocean yacht racing as being akin to standing fully clothed under a cold shower and ripping up hundred dollar bills?

There are a number of levels of quality with copywatches. A work colleague buys his for about AUD$300-400 over the 'Net, and they are a far cry from the ones I've been offered on the streets of Hong Kong for $50. I compared my Omega Speedmaster Pro with his copy, and I have to say it was mighty impressive, very hard to tell apart even side by side. This is a watch that retails for over AUD$5,000 here and his was $435 including shipping. Definitely a grey area there...

But I don't buy a watch for other people to see. If I'm in a business shirt it's hidden under a sleeve or by a jacket in winter. I buy watches because they make me feel good and I don't get the same feeling from a copy.

The saying goes that being copied is the ultimate flattery. I've always thought that a bit ridiculous. The manufacturers/vendors of copywatches are not copying fine timepieces as an homage to greatness; they do it to make a buck.
    Steve

The watch in that pic qualifies as a WANNA BE in my eyes. Thats just too similar. I feel like the cushion case design is ok to duplicate, but when you start getting that close, it's just plain obvious that its a rip off. In my eyes anyway...

As far as the Rolex-copy phenomenon goes, that is a funny one for me, because there are SOOOOO many copies out there, some better than others. Tag Heur has a line that looks almost exactly the same as the standard 'Rolex Style' and they sell for 1,$$$'s... My main beef with that is that a Marcello C, Steinhardt, or IWI, or many, many others would be, in my opinion, a much better value if you wanted to get a rolex-style watch. All 3 of these brands are swiss made, use similar movements, but the Tag version costs more (in the case of IWI, and Steinhardt a LOT more)... I guess i don't value name recognition as much as others. To each their own, i guess. Just as a side note, IWI makes a Panny 'hommage' which i consider to be a borderline-ripoff, so i'm not all about that company or anything, i just think their Rolex-style watches look good, and are a good value!

And i'm not knocking Tag at all. I almost bought one of their AquaRacer limited editions. But thats my preference, if i was going to pay top dollar just to 'own a TAG' i'd like to have one that is original-looking...

I think it's safe to say that the coolest watches, high end, or not, are ones that have a completely original style, and don't need to pay 'hommage' to another watch.
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 45mm
    Oris Williams F1 Chronograph
    Citizen Meccanico NP3010-34A
    Citizen Aqualand 20th Aniv. Eco-Drive
    G-Shock G2300B-1V
    Luminox 3001

Thread Information