So who owned LEMANIA back in the 30ies?

Thread: So who owned LEMANIA back in the 30ies?

So who owned LEMANIA back in the 30ies?

I bought a Universal Geneve Tri-Compax some time ago because I had the understanding that Universal Geneve had a major share in Lemainia Watch company, I believe that the Universal Tri-Compax was one of the first tripple register chronographs and dates to 1930ies.
    I know that when Omega and Tissot signed thier agreement to join forces Lemania came on board too, but no sign of Universal!
    Universal was respected world wide for it's chronographs in 1900 to 1930, yet the movements were not actually made by Universal themselves, something happened in 1930ies? end of contract?

stuffler,mike

Re: So who owned LEMANIA back in the 30ies?

In 1932 Lemania became incorporated into the SSIH Gruop (Omega Tissot).
    Caused by the economic depression in 1930 which had impact on Perret & Berthoud S.A. (P&B had the trademark rights for Universale Geneve) a group of investors brought money in. P&B have been reorganized. In 1934 the new company was set up: "Manufacture des Montres Unversal, Perret & Berthoud S.A.".

Re: So who owned LEMANIA back in the 30ies?

So Universal Geneve under another name did own Lemania and sold them to the Omega Tissot group when things got tough in the depression.
    My Tri-Compax is from the 1930ies- that means it could be one of the last built by Lemainia / Universal, interesting! Though my dial clearly reads Universal and the movement is hand engraved- NOT STAMPED- Universal. Strange that I have never seen an Omega or Tissot 4 register twin crown model as marketed by Universal (I hate that I have a mental block and can not name the model) which I think was a Lemania movement. I should love to add one to the collection.

Thread Information