So why so much dislike for watches with Complications.

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite

Voters
70. This poll is closed
  • Complications are great. The reason I love watches.

49 70.00%
  • Busy watches tire my eyes me make me want to quit watches.

21 30.00%
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: So why so much dislike for watches with Complications.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

So why so much dislike for watches with Complications.

In reading a lot of threads on this board I find myself surprised at the number of Posters that dislike many functions and busy watch faces.

Aren't complications what excite us about these little machines?

Dislike for Chrono's I see a lot.
    Dislike for Date windows.
    Dislike for anything but the simple it seems the majority on this board appreciate.

Why don 't you like these functions?

For me the complications are what make the watch.
    Perpetual Calendar
    Annual Calendar
    chrono's
    chrono's with date month day

think about what goes into this. The makers are amazing.
    Here is an ok example in my book.

Too busy for some. The prettiest piece I've ever seen in my eyes.
    Last edited by Watermark; June 30th, 2013 at 08:40.
    Kittysafe and shnjb like this.

Re: So why so much dislike for watches with Complications.

I like to read the time easily. I like a functional watch as well, especially perpetual calendar.

Unfortunately mechanical perpetuals are not only very expensive, but also cumbersome to set, which gets worse considering the PR of a few days.

I like the atomic setting and syncing, solar charging, world perpetual chronographs available by Citizen and Casio. Well designed ones do all these with only two subdials and a date window:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f67/oce...ew-763684.html

Quote Originally Posted by dilal View Post
    I like to read the time easily. I like a functional watch as well, especially perpetual calendar.

Unfortunately mechanical perpetuals are not only very expensive, but also cumbersome to set, which gets worse considering the PR of a few days.

I like the atomic setting and syncing, solar charging, world perpetual chronographs available by Citizen and Casio. Well designed ones do all these with only two subdials and a date window:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f67/oce...ew-763684.html
    I get the Time visibility. I have a Jaeger Perp that is tough to read time.
    Thats a good review of the Oceanus.

Many Perps have clickers to set. It's not that tough. Some are hard.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Interesting, as I think most prefer complications, unlike me. I'm thankful that I fall to the simple side, though, as it has saved me a lot of $ I'm thinking. For example, while I'm sure that Patek is certainly a fine example of horological genius, it wouldn't be worn if it were mine. And so I would never purchase it. I love a lot of "brands" but the further away their models move from basic, time only hand wounds, the further away my pocket book moves. Dunno why that is save for individual tastes and subjective perceptions. And thank goodness there is something to satisfy us all . . . .
    Watermark, bigvatch and nave560 like this.
    A.Lange & Sohne *anOrdain * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Méraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tiffany & Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

WnS

It really depends on the legibility of the dial, this Zenith Triple Date - Moonphase - Chrono is sweet. So is that Patek (insane price aside!). I like complications that are nicely executed.

But you can make a mess of the dial, with or without complications (Invicta!).
    Last edited by WnS; June 30th, 2013 at 09:51.
    Watermark and 5im0n like this.
    I'm content with my watch collection

Quote Originally Posted by drhr View Post
    Interesting, as I think most prefer complications, unlike me. I'm thankful that I fall to the simple side, though, as it has saved me a lot of $ I'm thinking. For example, while I'm sure that Patek is certainly a fine example of horological genius, it wouldn't be worn if it were mine. And so I would never purchase it. I love a lot of "brands" but the further away their models move from basic, time only hand wounds, the further away my pocket book moves. Dunno why that is save for individual tastes and subjective perceptions. And thank goodness there is something to satisfy us all . . . .
    You are definitely not alone. Many here are alike. It's just hard for me to understand as these little machines full of energy and imagination blow my mind. The more the better.

I don't fault the simple side. I agree. There is someone for every watch. Well most every watch.
    drhr and Sevenmack like this.

Plenty of people dislike simple designs too. Some say the calatrava is boring. Personally I can't generalise as much - I like some simple designs and dislike others. Same with complex ones - depends on the execution.
    Watermark, drhr, RAM75 and 2 others like this.

Inactive

I chose not to vote because indifferent wasn't an option. I own a chronograph which I love, but buy mostly divers which tend to be simple.
    Watermark likes this.

I used to love subdials and a gazillion hands, but I'm moving towards just one thing: time. Correct, accurate time reading. I don't need to know the day of the week or the month. The day of the month is fine, but legible please though I prefer small date windows over larger ones. There's nothing wrong with simplicity. It just has to be executed well.
    Watermark likes this.

Complications are, to me, one of the greatest things about watches and I rarely find myself looking at a watch now unless there is a complication.

Some watches though, such as the H Moser Monard are beautiful pieces that do nothing but tell the time.
    Watermark and Sevenmack like this.

The Collection: Rolex Oyster Perpetual Explorer 214270 Cal. 3132
    Grand Seiko Spring Drive GMT, SBGE005 Cal. 9R66, Omega, Museum, The MD’s Watch, No. 1804/1938, 516.53.39.50.09.001, Cal. 3203, Omega, Seamaster Professional, Planet Ocean 600M, 232.30.42.21.01.001, Cal. 8500, Longines, Legend Diver L3.674.4, L633 (ETA 2836-2 base) Longines, HydroConquest Chronograph, L3.644.4, Valjoux 7750, Tissot Heritage Visodate T0194301603101, ETA 2836-2 Jaquet Droz, Grande Date, No. 8/8, J016933207, Cal. JD 26356.4 (Frederique Piguet base), Eterna, Air Force Chronograph, 8418.41.40.1106, Valjoux 7750, Steinhart, Aviation Pink Gold Carbon, A0702, Unitas 6498, Raymond Weil, Nabucco GMT Automatic, 3800-SCF-05207, ETA 2893-2, a few old Corums, and a vintage Zenith.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information