So The Year is Almost Over, and I Haven't Worn It Once.
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: So The Year is Almost Over, and I Haven't Worn It Once.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

So The Year is Almost Over, and I Haven't Worn It Once.

So as the year is drawing to a close, and with enough time left to do something about it, I began to think of whether I'd at least a couple times worn each of the watches for which I'd "paid too much." I'm pretty pleased in that this year, I've managed to at least give a few days to nearly all of them. Only one have I managed not to don once this year. Fortunately, it's an easy watch to wear, especially during the holiday season.

So why did I even wonder about this? Well, mostly because I always say to myself that if I have so many watches that I don't even wear all the ones that were pricey, I certainly don't need to buy another one. It's kind of historically been my first gauge that I really have gone overboard with some indulgence. And not really with watches only, but also with shoes, shirts ....... utensils, workshop tools and garden "stuff."

Now if/when that day comes that it's clear I have more of this or that, but watches in particular since we are here on WUS, I have no idea what I'll actually do. Will I just stop buying and be done? Will I extend the time frame of assessment from one year to two? Will I sell or give away some? Will I just say, "WTH, I want this or that new one, and so what if I don't get to wear some other one." ? I really don't know.

So, those of you who just have the obsession, what is your modality of measurement? Do you have watches that you barely ever wear, but don't want to part with either? I've never parted with a watch except on a "temporary" basis. I let my kids wear my Rolexes and/or any other watch that's less pricey than the Rolexes, so sometimes I don't actually see them for months on end. Do you take the fact that you just don't use a watch as a sign to bail on the watch or just stop buying more in general?

One idea I had and shared with my four closest friends (20+ years close) just before penning this post is that we start a "watch trade" among ourselves. I'll offer up a watch and each them will too, something that most of the rest of us don't have and just wear the "other guy's" watch for a month or a couple weeks, whatever time frame seems to work given our schedules. It seems like it could be a fun way to explore watches that we each may have been considering, but just haven't pulled the trigger. It should also be fun because, while there's clearly some overlap in our collections, we each have slightly (sometimes not so slightly) varied taste, but none of us buys garish watches by any measure and we all have something like at least a dozen nice watches. Has anyone here actually tried doing such a thing? My only concern is whether it'll sate the desire to buy new stuff, or create new desires. LOL

Thoughts?

All the best.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

Re: So The Year is Almost Over, and I Haven't Worn It Once.

Have you been on the turps? Regardless, I'm about to have a drink. Have one on me bloke. Your dilemma is excellent!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by Beater; October 17th, 2013 at 09:08.
    Robotaz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post

One idea I had and shared with my four closest friends (20+ years close) just before penning this post is that we start a "watch trade" among ourselves. I'll offer up a watch and each them will too, something that most of the rest of us don't have and just wear the "other guy's" watch for a month or a couple weeks, whatever time frame seems to work given our schedules. It seems like it could be a fun way to explore watches that we each may have been considering, but just haven't pulled the trigger. It should also be fun because, while there's clearly some overlap in our collections, we each have slightly (sometimes not so slightly) varied taste, but none of us buys garish watches by any measure and we all have something like at least a dozen nice watches. Has anyone here actually tried doing such a thing? My only concern is whether it'll sate the desire to buy new stuff, or create new desires. LOL

Thoughts?

All the best.
    Yeah, but my friend didn't wanna trade his Patek for my Invicta...
    bacari and Popoki Nui like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

A watch is probably 99% accessory for both men and women. They are divided into genres. The genres each have a style that comes with a style cache built up over time, sometimes decades. The style cache can include brand as well as style elements that garner a certain prestige. Within all of this is the reason to purchase a certain watch. If you have watches that you don't wear, it's probably because they are not fitting in with your style. You really shouldn't buy a watch just because it looks cool. You need to consider if it will fit with your style.

I have watches that I have not worn for years. Most are more valuable to me sitting than they would be to sell... I never sell my watches. The trade idea is interesting but I don't think too appealing to me. I think it would simply make me go out and buy the watch I traded for to keep from experiencing the feeling of loss when I had to give it back.
    hayday likes this.
    Rolex Submariner
    Zenith Chronomaster XT Open El Primero

Omega Seamaster James Bond 007 Limited Edition
    Kobold Comanche
    Helson Sharkmaster
    Sinn U1
    Alpina Extreme Diver

Maurice Lacroix Miros
    Ball B&O First Mile

Edox Classe Royale Open Heart Automatic
    Shinola Brakeman 46

Luminox 3000 Navy Seal Diver
    Hamilton Khaki Navy Sub
    Seiko Black Monster
    Citizen Ecozilla
    Deep Blue Sunray Diver 1k
    and various other makes and models

Asia - HK, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Shanghai

How high end watches are you guying sharing with each other?

I'm keeping it to 3 maybe 4 nice watches. Any more than that and they don't get worn regularly and I don't want to sink any more money into this hobby.

If I don't wear the watch, AND it doesn't have sentimental value... it's gone. Even if I just give it away. Owning it starts to feel like a burden... like I OWE it to the watch to wear it somehow. I don't like that feeling... so I get rid of it.
    drhr, ImitationOfLife and johnj like this.

Collection:
    RGM 801A - Montblanc Twinfly Flyback Chronograph -
    Omega AquaTerra GMT - 1972 Heuer Autavia Viceroy - Ball Engineer Master II Diver World Time
    JeanRichard Terrascope - Longines Legend Diver(Date) - Luminox 6250 - Hamilton Intra-Matic(42mm) - Magrette Moana Pacific Professional - Oris XXL Pointer Day

Intagram: @dobowatches

Quote Originally Posted by Doboji View Post
    If I don't wear the watch, AND it doesn't have sentimental value... it's gone. Even if I just give it away. Owning it starts to feel like a burden... like I OWE it to the watch to wear it somehow. I don't like that feeling... so I get rid of it.
    Agree, life's too short to not have fun. If I'm not wearing 'em regularly, where's the joy in that?
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Meraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tiffany & Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

Been there, still doing that.........
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information