Which SOLAR watch charges the fastest and lasts the longest?
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Which SOLAR watch charges the fastest and lasts the longest?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Which SOLAR watch charges the fastest and lasts the longest?

Citizen, Seiko, Casio... have solar watches. I really like to have this kind to complement automatics, because it's the kind of quartz that requires less maintenance and it is easier to charge (compared with kinetic / auto-quartzs). If they are radio controlled, you don't even have to worry about setting the time.

But, how long does it take them to fully charge (from empty), using solar light (not exposed directly to the sun)? And how long to discharge in normal and power save modes?

I have a Citizen Eco-drive with H145 movement and it takes 30 hours to charge, it lasts for 6 months of normal use without being able to charge, and 2 years in power save (it sleeps after 7 days in darkness). You can check more Citizen movements at -> Citizen Watches Co Ltd / Eco-Drive Charging Table

Please post your experiences with solar watches.
    Last edited by Veole; October 10th, 2012 at 22:36.

Re: Which SOLAR watch charges the fastest and lasts the longest?

I don't have any specific data, but you can download the manuals for various Citizen cals from the website and they will tell you how long it takes in sunlight and artificial light to fully charge. Citizen, without a doubt, has the best reputation for solar watches, but Seiko has recently moved a lot of their new watches to solar (away from kinetic) and of course Casio makes a variety of solar powered watches. I'm not sure how they compare objectively. Never had a problem with any of my Citizens or Casios (never owned a Seiko solar) and none of them had a power reserve so I couldn't tell.

Not entirely sure about Seiko and Citizen, but I'm pretty sure newer Casio solar models require around 8 hours in light for a full charge and can last up to a year or more in total darkness, but I'm not entirely sure.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The thing I like with eco drives is that it doesnt really need direct bright sunlight. Even with diffused lighting from a lamp or a window, it seems to keep going quite strong. They even have auto power saving features on some of the movements that helps with retaining power longer. IMO you shouldnt really be concerned too much about it. I'd pick up a Citizen eco drive, wear it a few days, or give it a day or two in direct bright sunlight and then just set it in a place that gets some amount of light, itll keep going without needing any intervention.

Quote Originally Posted by Nato060 View Post
    Not entirely sure about Seiko and Citizen, but I'm pretty sure newer Casio solar models require around 8 hours in light for a full charge and can last up to a year or more in total darkness, but I'm not entirely sure.
    I thought the classic digital G-Sock models required 150-200 hours. I don't know about the analog ones. Casio does not specify accurate charging times in the manuals I've checked, just hours needed to change from low to medium to high battery indicators.
    Last edited by Veole; October 11th, 2012 at 00:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Veole View Post
    I thought the classic digital G-Sock models required 150-200 hours. I don't know about the analog ones. Casio does not specify accurate charging times in the manuals I've checked, just hours needed to change from low to medium to high battery indicators.
    Whoa, maybe I'm wrong. A bit of Googling and apparently it takes 18 hours of direct sunlight, 87 hours of direct sunlight through a window, and 25 hours of direct fluorescent light. They say it takes around 150-200 hours on a cloudy day.

I have a solar atomic and I have no idea how long it takes to charge, or fully drain because it usually get some light, even if it's not much.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Whatever the number is, it's essentially so small that it's irrelevant. I've never had a Citizen or Casio solar watch go into power saving mode on me, even in the winter months with less light and long sleeve clothes. I think it's less about solar and more about the crazy tiny amount of energy the movements need to run.

All I know is that I've invested in exactly one solar watch, a Seiko, and I barely have to touch the thing. It initially charged in about six hours, and it's been running every since (picked up the watch in April, as I recall). Not bad at all; it's as much effort as I've had to put into it. I do keep it out on a shelf near a window, where it gets ambient light but not too-direct sunlight.

lvt

If you want a solar watch that charges the fastest, buy one with the smallest rechargeable battery / capacitor.

If you want a solar watch that lasts the longest, buy a watch with digital display with less functions possbile, I'd say a classic 5600 G-shock.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information