Some Thoughts on Expensive Watches
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Some Thoughts on Expensive Watches

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

1. We really wear nice, higher-priced watches for just ourselves because almost no one is going to notice or comment on our watches. I've been wearing well-above-average watches to work, to church, and to social events for about 25 years now, and I have had at MOST 4 or 5 comments in all those years -- and maybe not that many.
    2. I've noticed the watch of everyone around me for the last 20+ years since I love and study watches, yet I have NEVER seen in the wild an Omega watch, a Steinhart watch, a Breitling watch, a Cartier watch, nor an Oris watch. I have seen in all these years one Hamilton on the wrist of a state prosecuting attorney, two TAG-Heuers -- one worn by a professional singer in legendary Muscle Shoals, Alabama, and the other by my watch-enthusiast first cousin, a couple of Movados received as high school graduation gifts from parents who thought really shiny and glossy meant super high end, and only six genuine Rolexes.
    3. Rolex watches: Here in Alabama, I've seen what I'm sure are genuine Rolex pieces on the wrists of two local bank presidents, one college professor, a local attorney and his wife, and -- unbelievably -- an OLD farmer who has somehow managed to be very successful in our county (his watch is some type of Oyster Date from the early 1980s, and it's beat up pretty badly!).
    4. Most men -- even quite successful and educated men -- wear crappy, cheap watches and never think a thing about it.
    5. I'm still surprised that Omega watches are so very rare here in the South, and I look forward to the day I finally see one in person. The closest two Omega dealers are Huntsville, Alabama near the Space & Rocket Center and Nashville, Tennessee, both of which are a long drive from where I live.
    Last edited by Cracky Wainwright; October 10th, 2017 at 18:22.
    axl99, oso2276, papayaseed and 4 others like this.

Different story in Singapore. Lot of Rolexes around - Subs, GMTs and a many Datejusts.

Colleagues at work wear Breguet, Daytona, Speedmaster...and Apple watches. Director at previous company rocked a Nautilus.

Women in the street and bars sport Cartiers, Panerai and even Daytonas. A lot I suspect have been endowed by sugar daddies and whatnot. Likely a lot of fake APROO around too, sonce mainly younger folk sport them, though they could be from rich families.

Haven't seen any Grand Seiko in the wild yet. I await the day to trade in my collection for a Credor Eichi...

I have a yet to wear my APRO to work...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BBCDoc; October 10th, 2017 at 18:39.

Re: Some Thoughts on Expensive Watches

Here in South Texas, right on the border of Mexico, you see a lot of fashion watches and fake Rolexes. The closest ADs are about an hour away and most sales go to wealthy people from Mexico. The plus side is I can get great deals at the ADs without any problems since the sales volume is low.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

In the DC metro area, I've seen plenty of Rolexes and Panerai in the wild. I think I once spied a Speedy at a party. I have a friend who has Rolex, Panerai, and also an IWC and another friend who wears lesser stuff like Longines, Shinola, etc. I notice watches and will ask about them, but I've never had anybody ask about mine. I'd be stunned if anybody I met had heard of my watches before and 1) in your list is very much the case for me. Even my wife doesn't want to hear about my panorama date and that it's widely considered to be the best execution of the big date. I guess that's why I come here, it's not only ok to talk about stuff like that, it's encouraged!
    Last edited by mgraham; October 10th, 2017 at 19:37.

6.5" Wrist

Quote Originally Posted by Cracky Wainwright View Post
    1. We really wear nice, higher-priced watches for just ourselves because almost no one is going to notice or comment on our watches. I've been wearing well-above-average watches to work, to church, and to social events for about 25 years now, and I have had at MOST 4 or 5 comments in all those years -- and maybe not that many.
    2. I've noticed the watch of everyone around me for the last 20+ years since I love and study watches, yet I have NEVER seen in the wild an Omega watch, a Steinhart watch, a Breitling watch, a Cartier watch, nor an Oris watch. I have seen in all these years one Hamilton on the wrist of a state prosecuting attorney, two TAG-Heuers -- one worn by a professional singer in legendary Muscle Shoals, Alabama, and the other by my watch-enthusiast first cousin, a couple of Movados received as high school graduation gifts from parents who thought really shiny and glossy meant super high end, and only six genuine Rolexes.
    3. Rolex watches: Here in Alabama, I've seen what I'm sure are genuine Rolex pieces on the wrists of two local bank presidents, one college professor, a local attorney and his wife, and -- unbelievably -- an OLD farmer who has somehow managed to be very successful in our county (his watch is some type of Oyster Date from the early 1980s, and it's beat up pretty badly!).
    4. Most men -- even quite successful and educated men -- wear crappy, cheap watches and never think a thing about it.
    5. I'm still surprised that Omega watches are so very rare here in the South, and I look forward to the day I finally see one in person. The closest two Omega dealers are Huntsville, Alabama near the Space & Rocket Center and Nashville, Tennessee, both of which are a long drive from where I live.
    So, just to let you know I have a Tag, Oris and Steinhart here in Alabama. Part of my rotation I wear to work. One guy here has a Submariner and that's about it. I've only received one comment and that was on my Zelos.
    Don't feel alone, as you surely are not.
    Cracky Wainwright and mleok like this.

I tend to only spot rolexes and tags.

Maybe an occasional Omega here or there, a lot of the more affordable (Hamilton/FC/Sinn), and a few Hublots and my neighbor just got a PAM, and its the 1st ive seen in the wild.

Everything else is smart watches and fitness trackers.

Quote Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
    Maybe an occasional Omega here or there, a lot of the more affordable (Hamilton/FC/Sinn)
    I'd be pretty excited to see a Sinn, more so than the common luxury brands. Yes, I forgot about the smart watches, everybody has those here as well.

6.5" Wrist

In France in the parisian area, lot of Omegas, Rolexes mostly older and new subs, daytona 116520 and some 6263, 6265,6240 and 6239, Panerais, Cartiers and IWC. One of the biggest Breitling AD l'Etoile d'Or is gone but there is a Breitling boutique, an IWC boutique, a Blancpain flagship store, a Breguet boutique, a Jaeger Le Coultre boutique and some Omega boutiques in Paris plus some other important shops but they are expensive. Don't ask for discounts or you will be shown the door
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

I always wear a nice or “unusual” watch and I wear them because they give ME pleasure (If compliments on watches were food then I’d have starved long ago)
    bjjkk and Carrera997 like this.

In Pensacola, it is pretty much a watch-lovers dead zone. I have one friend who wear an old Rolex. Other than him I never see nice watches. My most expensive piece is a Hamilton Pan Europ Chrono and have a used Oris BC3 in the mail. I have considered saving up for an Omega or at least something in the $1500+ range, but then I think it would be completely out of place around here and would probably be seen negatively in my social group and at work. I do have a friend who always notices my watches. I think he is a closet watch guy, but he only wears a GShock. I do see lots of Apple watches all over the place. My wife and daughter want one for Christmas. So sad.
    Last edited by Minorcollector; October 10th, 2017 at 20:35.
    Blackwing530 likes this.
    Never try to install spring bars in a hurry. -lvt

"Affordable" just means you end up spending the same amount of money, but end up with a greater number of watches. -MandoBear

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information