Something to Ponder... This One or That One...

Poll: Have You Ever Made A Purchase Based on Forum Comments?

Thread: Something to Ponder... This One or That One...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Something to Ponder... This One or That One...

I'm serious here... your thoughts?

I have been tracking another thread and I thought to myself - Have you really asked a question about one watch or another, or one brand or another and purchased it based on what was said on the forum?

I'll do this in the form of a poll (if I have it figured out correctly). Thanx in advance for your inputs.
    "Time isn't the main thing. It is the only thing!" - Miles Davis

I have found that some people just like to hear themselves typing.

Friends don't let friends buy G-Schlocks.

You think I'm condescending...?? Do you even know what that means... ??

Every time God closes one door... I open a bottle of bourbon.

¹ I have learned that you have to put a smiley face or LOL behind anything just so people don't take you too seriously.

Re: Something to Ponder... This One or That One...

I like the idea of making my own decisions.

VIEW MY SALES FEEDBACK>>>>HERE

/¯¯l¯¯¯l¯¯[_\__\]
    l¯¯ l¯¯¯l¯¯¯L-_O|||||||O_
    ¯()_)¯¯¯¯¯¯()_)¯¯¯¯¯()_)

There are a few members that seriously lay out some options before they make a decision (check out high-end forum right now)... Some are looking for some different perspective, but wold hope, and expect, that they still make up their own mind.

It is nice though, when the OP reports back on the eventual purchase. It seems though, that 95% of the time (or more) that no update (or purchase?) ever occurs.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've received good honest feedback about watches and read reviews that steered me toward a purchase. A good example would be a Dievas Vortex. I couldn't try it on in person so I had to rely on the thoughts and feedback of others before pulling the trigger.

I would imagine 90% aren't genuine.

Personally I buy what I like not what others tell me I should like.
    Fiery the Angels Fell.

http://www.savewalterwhite.com/

Being on a micro brand roll for the last year or so, forum comment have certainly played a role in my decision making.

Definitely. When I started I had to look at purchasing affordables only. There are so many turkey brands at that end of the market, WUS advice was invaluable in order to avoid them.

Sort Of, would have been another good option to have voted on. I would have voted that because I joined WUS when I had the opportunity last August to buy a brand new B&M Capeland Flyback at 50% off from an AD. I knew B&M was a good brand (I actually already owned a Hampton), but I knew nadda, zip, nothing about mechanical movements and I was hoping people here would validate that I was getting a good enough deal to spend so much on a watch (which was the most expensive watch purchase I had ever contemplated - still is, even after a few more nice pieces). While I got the usual B&M is overpriced and some don't love 'em and of course the requisite get an Omega, the majority of members, none of which knew me, offered great support and told me they loved the Flyback and the deal was terrific. So, I did buy the watch. But truth be told, even if everyone had poo pooed it, I would have bought it anyway as I tend to buy things that speak to me and the Flyback SHOUTED BUY ME!

In the end, joining WUS has been a wonderful thing. I've met terrific people, feel a part of an informed community, have learned so much about fine timepieces and have spent a lot of money along the way. I'm almost at 1500 posts in only 6 months!
    Last edited by RBrylawski; January 5th, 2013 at 18:29.
    I am no longer active on WUS. If you would like to contact me, please feel free to email me: rbrylaw fifty five at yahoo

Absolutely it impacts my decision. But not in the way you might think... it's not so much about how many people vote one way or the other. Instead what inevitably happens is the lovely people on this forum point out things about the watches that I hadn't even noticed before. Sometimes these points sway my opinion drastically one way or another... Also sometimes WIS's here will point me to a watch I hadn't even thought of before that fits the bill of what I'm looking for.

Some specific examples... My first this or that thread I posted here was between the Hamilton Maestro and the Oris Artix Chronograph... I didn't buy the Maestro then... but I did end up buying it a year later, after hearing many folks talk highly about it in many of those threads.

I also selected the one I did after folks pointing out that certain versions had a seconds hand and others did not.
    Last edited by Doboji; January 5th, 2013 at 19:59.

Collection:
    RGM 801A - Montblanc Twinfly Flyback Chronograph -
    Omega AquaTerra GMT - 1972 Heuer Autavia Viceroy - Ball Engineer Master II Diver World Time
    JeanRichard Terrascope - Longines Legend Diver(Date) - Luminox 6250 - Hamilton Intra-Matic(42mm) - Magrette Moana Pacific Professional - Oris XXL Pointer Day

Intagram: @dobowatches

I think I've only ever made one (maybe two) thread asking about watches but that was more to do with seeing if other people here could show me more watches of the style I was looking at that I might have missed.
    That might've shown me something I liked but the decision to buy (or not buy) would've still been mine.

Thoughts for the day:
    facts, experience, opinion - figure which yours is before you start typing
    DM's Ghetto Watch Polishing Guide

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information