soon receiving my first automatic - advice request
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Aus_Corp
  • 1 Post By Donf

Thread: soon receiving my first automatic - advice request

soon receiving my first automatic - advice request

anyone got some maintenance advice for a first-time owner of a proper timepiece? (winders are ruled out, hard to justify something that costs 300 usd for a watch that cost half that)

also wondering if anyone knows how to properly test the accuracy of a watch - glancing from one clock to another isn't exactly a precise science and i would like to go the extra mile and get it regulated if it's going to need daily setting.

the closest i have to a watchmaker around these parts is a Mister Minit (their "watch maker" knows less about watches than i do, which is severely worrying) and a "watch central stall" which sells second hand Haute/luxury watches that i suspect are fake since they come with nil paperwork and are being sold around 1k (alarmingly cheap for a supposed Vacheron Constantin) while they are selling seiko 5s for 300 dollars and all their watches are depleted/unwound so that you can't even tell whether or not they are really good ol' gears and springs or just quartz, and they don't let you look at the back

Can a jeweler chain's watchmaker (A&G, etc) be trusted to regulate my watch without damaging it? i also live near a high-end shop (called Gregory's i think) that sells Tissot, Longines, Tag Heuer, etc
    (about as fancy as factory new gets here in AU) but i'm worried that since i'm a student in uniform they'll kick my peasant-looking ass out of there faster than a hobo at a New York nightclub.

unrelated question: why are mechanical watches so goddamn fascinating?

Re: soon receiving my first automatic - advice request

Personally, I don't obsess over how accurate my watches are. They're mechanical. They're not going to be perfect timekeepers. That's not why I purchase them. If I wanted perfect time (or close to perfect), I'd get a quartz (I own two). But if you're worried about whether or not a local jeweler or "watchmaker" can properly work on your watch, you're probably better off sending it to somewhere that you, and others, trust. And as long as you can supply this "Gregory's" the money, I doubt they would kick you out. Haha.

To me, they're fascinating because they keep you engaged. I always compare them to vinyl records (very loosely). It makes the experience greater when you have to monitor it and physically engage yourself with the process. Just my opinion.
    rfortson likes this.

As already said, don't get to hung up on how accurate your watch is, if it keeps within a minute a day, I think you wont even notice the time gain or loss.

Every now and then on an OCD day, I set my watches to this site: - Accurate Time

Where abouts in Aus are you? There is always a major city close by, well except Alice, that will have at least one decent watch maker. I'm in Canberra and am surprised about how many watch makers there are around here, and it is just a country town.

Good luck with your purchase - I doubt it will be the last!

Buzz
    Reformed WIS - Fitness/Smart Watch Lover

Garmin Fenix 3 - Waiting for the HR...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Aus_Corp View Post
    Personally, I don't obsess over how accurate my watches are. They're mechanical. They're not going to be perfect timekeepers. That's not why I purchase them. If I wanted perfect time (or close to perfect), I'd get a quartz (I own two). But if you're worried about whether or not a local jeweler or "watchmaker" can properly work on your watch, you're probably better off sending it to somewhere that you, and others, trust. And as long as you can supply this "Gregory's" the money, I doubt they would kick you out. Haha.

To me, they're fascinating because they keep you engaged. I always compare them to vinyl records (very loosely). It makes the experience greater when you have to monitor it and physically engage yourself with the process. Just my opinion.
    the gregory's shop is a real snobby place, bouncer at the door, guy to take your coat, etc. they ain't going to be letting me enter in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by TooPoorForThis View Post
    anyone got some maintenance advice for a first-time owner of a proper timepiece?
    Don't drop it.

also wondering if anyone knows how to properly test the accuracy of a watch - glancing from one clock to another isn't exactly a precise science and i would like to go the extra mile and get it regulated if it's going to need daily setting.
    Glancing from your watch to another is about as precise as it gets I'm afraid, and is accurate enough for real world purposes (I assume you have a computer since you're on the internet. Hold your watch next to the computer's clock to check accuracy). If you're too OCD for that method I highly recommend you stick with quartz.

the closest i have to a watchmaker around these parts is a Mister Minit (their "watch maker" knows less about watches than i do, which is severely worrying) and a "watch central stall" which sells second hand Haute/luxury watches that i suspect are fake since they come with nil paperwork and are being sold around 1k (alarmingly cheap for a supposed Vacheron Constantin) while they are selling seiko 5s for 300 dollars and all their watches are depleted/unwound so that you can't even tell whether or not they are really good ol' gears and springs or just quartz, and they don't let you look at the back

Can a jeweler chain's watchmaker (A&G, etc) be trusted to regulate my watch without damaging it? i also live near a high-end shop (called Gregory's i think) that sells Tissot, Longines, Tag Heuer, etc (about as fancy as factory new gets here in AU) but i'm worried that since i'm a student in uniform they'll kick my peasant-looking ass out of there faster than a hobo at a New York nightclub.
    Mister Minit sells decent leather straps, but that's about it. I wouldn't trust a watchmaker from there with even my cheapest mechanical watches. Regulation takes only a few minutes with the right equipment and many reputable watchmakers will do it for free. I'm assuming you're in either Sydney or Melbourne since those are the only two cities with a Gregory Jewellers. If you're in Sydney there is Fredman Sydney Vintage Watches, who have very reputable watchmakers. If you're in melbourne, G. James Robinson seems very highly regarded

unrelated question: why are mechanical watches so goddamn fascinating?
    Because of the combination of science and art, precision and craftsmanship. And history!
    Current Collection:
    Rotary, Adina, Emporio Armani, Loyal, Swatch, Ingersoll, Cyma and others...

The Wanted List:
    Citizen NB0030-01A

Realistically Achievable Grails:
    Breguet 5817 Marine Big Date
    Grand Seiko STGR003

Holy Grails:
    Breguet 5617 Perpetual Calendar Chronograph

As already said, don't get to hung up on how accurate your watch is, if it keeps within a minute a day, I think you wont even notice the time gain or loss.

Every now and then on an OCD day, I set my watches to this site: - Accurate Time
    Good advice.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Mister "Minit" -I have a rule about shopping, I figure if they can't spell they can't do anything more complicated.
    ken_sturrock likes this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thread Information