1) how on earth does a minute repeater "know" what time it is?
reason for asking: mechanical watches, as far as i knew before hearing of these, were linear machines, that proceeded at a regular pace with no actual knowledge of what the time they are displaying is. when i heard of a mechanical complication that could remember and read you the time, my mind was blown. this was a complete defiance of all logic i had known about mechanical systems. somehow it manages to store information and play it back as sound. to this day, 2 months later, i'm still lost in the water trying to wrap my head around it. in my mind, data storage was strictly the realm of silicon and magnetic disks, or quartz and flash-based microelectronics. in fact, that's still the case in my mind, i just don't get it.

2) why do expensive watches with no display back case decorate their movements?
reason for question: it just seems like a pointless waste of money, and to me a uniform, smooth movement with no engraving would have more even weight and better aerodynamics and could push that last millisecond of accuracy out of the COSC rating. not to mention no one is going to see the beauty of the movement unless there is something wrong with it, which i find kind of ironic.

3) why are hand-wound watches more expensive than a vastly more complex movement which winds itself?
reason for asking: as someone who is very cynical of pricing and marketing, this irks me a lot and i hope i can find a truly good reason to maintain my faith in the state of the market

4) why do some companies refuse to sell a certain model of watch outside of one sole country?
reason for asking: it just seems like a dumb move, why would you refuse to take someone's money based on their location. for example, Seiko's far higher quality JDM pieces. is this a government law or a bizarre marketing choice?

5) if a mechanical watch's balance wheel oscillated at 1hz, would the second hand start and stop at each marker but move smoothly between them (look at the Bulova precisionist's chronograph when in use), or would it look like a generic quartz?
reason for asking: just curious.