SOS! Having some major problems with a Auth. Dealer.... ::pics::

Thread: SOS! Having some major problems with a Auth. Dealer.... ::pics::

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SOS! Having some major problems with a Auth. Dealer.... ::pics::

::Update at the bottom of this post::

This is a little long, and there are pictures at the bottom.

I posted this in my forum i frequent, but you guys could probably be a little more help, but i will just copy/paste my post. My main question for you guys is, do you know what kind of tool would have been used to replace this battery? any idea what could have made such a scratch? and any tips on how to handle this?

So i took one of my watches to get a battery replacement (i know, Automatic ftw) from Rogers Jewelers ($50... yeah i know). I would have done it myself but there is no visible way to open up the watch, nor did i want to mess up the watch then be stuck with it. Rogers also said the watch is gas sealed (which i cant seem to verify for Movado). So anyways i turn it in 3 weeks ago and just got a call that it came back in. I go pick it up at the store between classes/exam... they open 10 min late, so i pick it up... put it in my car and drive off. I get home, take it out of the bag and what do i see? i consistant circular scratch on the bezel

Little backround info on this watch, i have probably worn it a total of 7 times, and its it mint condition. So i call them and get the same guy who helped me (very nice at the time) convo goes a little something like this (and i was nice as well)

Me: The bezel on the watch has a circular scratch on the bezel around the face
    Him: Well we didnt do it, im the watch so-and-so (though they send the watch away) Even if i send the watch to movado, they arent going to do anything about it, and you definatly arent getting a new watch. We have it marked here that there are some minor scratches on the bezel.**
    Me: Im not looking for a new watch, the one i gave you guys was in perfect condition, i just want it to be in the same condition as what i gave to you guys, its a ::X $ amount:: watch, i just want it repaired.
    Him: You dont have to tell me how much your watch costs, i know that info
    Me: Could i just speak to a manager?
    Him: I am the manager.

**I watched the girl that took care of me write out the slip and also had a copy, she did not write down any problems with the bezel, but they took both copies when i came in.... if i see they re-wrote that... i will flip

So i let him go and called Corp, and talked it over with them... i was highly impressed, very nice, relaxed and funny. They told me that guy isnt the manager they have listed, and we talked for a couple min then they put me on hold. I get a call from the other line but i dont click over cause im on hold. Corp tells me they will take care of everything and get it fixed. So i thank her and hang up... check my voicemail and its the "manager" from earlier telling me to bring it back in and they will take care of it, and that he will be there til 9.

Here are the pictures:

**there are no scratches anywhere else on the watch/face, its just dusty/dirty**

Lit up so you can see it better... Its practically between every hour mark

The condition of the watch when i turned it in weeks ago...

If for some reason the pictures cant be hosted to this website, here are the links in order:
    http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/fi.../wtfwatch2.JPG
    http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/fi...b/wtfwatch.JPG
    http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/fi...KJWORH3X2X.JPG

And an update:

So corp told me to go back and ask for my guy to take it and get it fixed, i told them i really didnt want to deal with his attitude again and they said "Dont worry, he wont give you any now"

So i took it in, he got up and came to me... wasnt crazy.... but certainly wasnt nice (wasnt expecting it though). He looked at the watch for a couple min and some something like "well we can send it in and hope they can fix it", and wrote on the slip "Customer states bezel was scratched". I saw the old original copy and carbon copy of the previous slip and asked if i could have a photocopy of my old copy i signed... he looked at me and simply said "no". I just sorta thought "screw it" took the new slip and left.

Now im not sure if they are going to order a new bezel (if they can) from movado and just replace it, because i just dont see how they can paint it to match factory.. but if they can... fine. This time when i go in a couple weeks down the road im going to slip my digital camera in my pocket, if it looks like crap still, im going to take a couple pictures there to document its progress and simply refuse to sign for it.

While im a little ticked off at what is going on... i cant stress how awesome their Corp Rep has been in taking care of the situation, if it wasnt for them i would be enraged. But im not sure what to expect when i get it back

Update:
    So i get a voicemail from Damian (the evil guy) saying that there is no way they caused it and he spoke to the repair people and they said they dont even touch the bezel/face, and if i want it fixed it will cost me $150+

Im so angry right now i dont even know where to start.

Edit AGAIN:
    I called corp and corp said the repair place said they have a picture of the watch the day it got to them and it is showing the same scratches. This is beyond stupid, they have told me a million different things. They are now just blatently lying (not Corp, but the repair shop and the "manager").

I called Movado and they were incredibly nice, telling me there is no proper way to open that up besides clamping it onto a special device, and if i cant get this resolved through Rogers to call Movado again.
    Last edited by fyskay1527; May 17th, 2007 at 23:34.

Re: SOS! Having some major problems with a Auth. Dealer.... ::pics::

Quote Originally Posted by fyskay1527 View Post
    My main question for you guys is, do you know what kind of tool would have been used to replace this battery? any idea what could have made such a scratch?
    Do you have a picture of the back of the watch? To change the battery, the caseback is either pried off, or screwed off. So the bezel and face of the watch should be untouched by any tool.

I think perhaps some kind of clamping device to hold the watch firmly whilst the caseback was removed, made contact with the bezel, and hence scratched it.

Good luck with getting the problem resolved.

EDIT: If they used a clamp, it should have been made of wood, so as not to scratch the watch.
    Last edited by DW-5600E; May 4th, 2007 at 07:28.

Here is the back of the Movado Gentry

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi, I wave been working on and of on wathces for a while,as a hobby mostly, My mayor is Industrial Engineering with Machine Design and Manufacture of pieces weighing 400 pnds to .045grams. I am extremely meticulous.

What happened here is that your bezel and front of the movado looks just like that of a Rolex Submariner allthough it is partially made of ceramic and is a light watch from what I can see, so the dumb @$# watchsmith put the watch like you would normally do with any case holder but if you go to http://www.ofrei.com/page_204.html you can see the different types of case holdes there are, many nowadays are very thick teflon coated or made of synthetic polymers tht are hard but if you press a wall with your nail you can fell its not as hard as it looks. Most likely the watchsmith used the first case holder on the page or similar,made of all Aluminum7075 T651, really hard, almost as hard as Stainless steel.

Your bezel must be uni-directional hence the scratch marks in a directional way,(they come in at 7 and leave at 11), if you plan a circle over them you will notice the case was offset before he begun working on it and was not tight. The case back is a pop-out, so you can tel Movado to go you know where when they claim its gas filled or vaccum, only extreme diver watches use this and the backs are not pop-out, so as the bozo found this out he had not tightened the case on the case holder enough causing a marks where he exerted pressure on the back trying to get the pop-out back.

So as he begun pressing and finding the way in with a spoonlike small screwdriver used for pop-out backs he pressed on the bezel insert as well and if the case older that was used was aluminum, and they have not cleaned it, you willl find Black traces of your bezel insert in the not only off-center position caused by a very unwise choice of tools.

If you go back and ask them to hand you over the case holder the chanes are they will hand you over one that is made of a different material, better off if you tell them you want in and take a look aroun for the diffeent case holders, should be no more than 5 , if they say no way then tell them you will go call the police so they can take statements for your warranty, I don't think they want that. I screwed up 3 bezels on a Two-Tone Rolex Submariner my self and each metal sticker that goes in the bezel was like $40.00, if it's any consolation.

So if they do hand you the case they used on your watch and I can bet what you want it will have black lines that correspond to your bezel insert., If not they are not showing you the right one or have allready cleaned it. For a Movado of that price I would take a magnifying glass to search for marks on the case holder. Any watch can leave marks so you have to show them they belong to you by incorrectly placing the case there, sounds complicated but, its the ONLY tool that will do that and all that you have to do is prove it. Just remember, some one always leaves a mark behind a crime,which is what they did........(by the way as a beginner I did the same thing on an Oris TT1,jeje).......

Hope it helps..
    Eng. Daniel Hudson
    Last edited by Ingdh1; May 6th, 2007 at 21:09.

Wow, thanks a lot... that helps quite a bit!

The bezel actually doesnt rotate at all though, that wouldnt change anything that you are explaining though, right?

Sorry, but your pics are not showing up.
    Best regards,

Ernie Romers
    Founder and former site owner, Watchuseek.com

What exactly are the white marks on the bezel? Is the paint scratched off the bezel and the steel underneath is showing through? Or did the white marks get rubbed onto the bezel from elsewhere?

To me, it looks like a touch up of paint(matching the colour of the bezel) will fix the problem.

Why don't you take the watch to another watch mechanic and ask them how much would it get to give the bezel a makeover?

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by WatchUseek Admin View Post
    Sorry, but your pics are not showing up.
    I´d like to see the pics too.

Pictures should be working now

Quote Originally Posted by DW-5600E View Post

Why don't you take the watch to another watch mechanic and ask them how much would it get to give the bezel a makeover?
    Well thats not really the point, i gave them a watch in mint condition and forked out $50 for them to give it back to me in less then perfect condition, while giving me the biggest hassle possible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information