• 1 Post By tincob
  • 1 Post By timefleas
  • 1 Post By MediumRB
  • 1 Post By GregoryD
  • 1 Post By katfromTN
  • 1 Post By Besbro

Thread: SOTC

SOTC

Well on my way to bringing my collection down to 3 - 4 pieces.
    I plan on keeping the Steinhart Ocean One Titanium 500, Da46, Sarb013.
    I plan on selling both Bulovas and the Glycine.
    I am undecided on the Sarb017.

Keeping both Alpinists seems a little redundant but the green sunburst dial is gorgeous and I feel much more casual than the cream dial. However I have the "casual" piece covered with my other watches...

This post is me thinking out loud. I welcome any of your thoughts...

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Besbro; February 21st, 2018 at 21:21. Reason: Forgot pic...

Carmen de apicala, Col / Cayuse Flats, BC

Re: SOTC

That's easy, sell me the SARB 013. You get your fav Seiko and I get a great deal on the 013...

Remember - first dibs!
    The current rotation: Orologi Calamai G50 MkIII, Omega Speedmaster automatic 3510-50, Omega Dynamic series III, Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 2504.80, Omega Seamaster 212.30.41, Omega Geneve F300 198.030 Hummer, Omega Seamaster F300 198.001 Hummer, Heuer Autavia chronograph, Eterna - Matic 1948 Chronometre, Tudor BB36 79500, Marathon TSAR medium, Pro Trek PRW3000-2, Seiko Alpinist SBQJ017 perpetual calendar GMT 8F56, JeanRichard Highlands 24004.

Those three you know are keepers do make a well-rounded collection, but if you're not 100% sure, don't sell the others.

If it were me, I would:

• NOT sell the SARB017. You obviously like it, and having a different color dial is not a bad reason to keep it. I feel like you might regret selling it for when you're in the mood for some color. (your "keepers" don't have any)
    • Keep that Bulova with the coin edge bezel. Any well-rounded collection needs a quartz, and that one has a different (vintage) style from your "keepers"
    • Sell the Bulova moon watch. Nothing special about those, IMO
    • You sure about the Glycine? It has kind of a tool watch flavor that your "keepers" haven't got. It looks like it would work well with a LOT of different strap options, and could thus really add some variety to your collection. It looks like it could be dressed up or down pretty easily.

Don't feel like you SHOULD reduce your collection, just because others have (apparently) successfully done so. When I start to push myself in that direction, I feel huge anxiety and doubt, and I've sold watches that I've later regretted selling; it's not a good feeling.

How about taking a "Test Drive" of your 3 watch collection? Take those and put them somewhere out of sight for a week or a month. Pretend they're sold. Do you miss any of them?

Here's a weird idea: If you want to make it more real, sell me the Bulova for some cheap-but-reasonable price. If you change your mind, I'll sell it back to you for the same price. I think you'll miss it and want it back, but in the meantime, I'll get to test-drive it. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Besbro View Post
    Well on my way to bringing my collection down to 3 - 4 pieces.
    I plan on keeping the Steinhart Ocean One Titanium 500, Da46, Sarb013.
    I plan on selling both Bulovas and the Glycine.
    I am undecided on the Sarb017.

Keeping both Alpinists seems a little redundant but the green sunburst dial is gorgeous and I feel much more casual than the cream dial. However I have the "casual" piece covered with my other watches...

This post is me thinking out loud. I welcome any of your thoughts...

Thanks

Besbro likes this.
    -Jeremy
    6-3/4" (171 mm) wrist

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Unfortunately no advice from me. I don't think I would be able to reduce my choices to three only.

Trying to force yourself to live with only three of your choices while putting away the rest of your collection would be a good test run.

Wishing you luck. It's a worthy goal to aim for but a big challenge for sure.
    Besbro likes this.

Sometimes a whole shake down approach might be useful--I would keep the Steinhart, the Damasko and ditch the rest, replacing them with one other piece--at or above the level of the Damasko.
    Besbro likes this.

Sell the Glycine and one of the Bulovas (you don't have a chrono if you sell the Moonwatch, but the coin edge bezel one - Precisionist? -is cool).
    Nice collection. Definitely keep the SARB017. Or sell it to me.
    Besbro likes this.
    Tick-tock in RoK GMT+9, no DST
    --
    Not Seiko: Parmigiania Tonda 1950, Zenith El Primero Chronomaster, Piaget Upstream, Muhle Glashutte Seebataillon GMT, Eterna Madison Spherodrive, Vulcain Cricket 1951 Classic, Bell & Ross Space 3 GMT, Bulova Accutron Astronaut (c. 1966), Omega Speedmaster triple date, Sinn 556 Anniversary LE, IWC Cal. 89 (c. 1957), Glycine Airman SST-12, Pulsar Date II (c. 1971), Scurfa Diver One, G-Shock Rangeman 9400, Vostok Classica
    Seiko: Grand Seiko SBGT035, Credor Node GCAT996, Grand Seiko 5641-7000 (1972), "Ashtray Tuna" 7C46-6009 (1987), 6139-7069 "Blue Eye" chrono (1974), 5740-8000 Lord Marvel 36'000 (1974), Bell-Matic 4006-7012 (1971), King Quartz 9223-5000 (1981), Seikomatic J13044 (1963), 6119-6400 UFO (1974), King Quartz 5855-5000 (1977), Silverwave 8221-5020 (1980), Majesta 9063-5020 (1984), SKX399K "Philippines"

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    Sometimes a whole shake down approach might be useful--I would keep the Steinhart, the Damasko and ditch the rest, replacing them with one other piece--at or above the level of the Damasko.
    Kind of what I was thinking but I am going to keep the Sarb013. Took me too long to find it.

Great spread there. I think paring down the collection is always a good exercise, and I would definitely keep the Sarb, it's a gem!
    Besbro likes this.
    Cheers,
    Greg

Keep the Sarb013. They’re hard to come by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Besbro likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by katfromTN View Post
    Keep the Sarb013. They’re hard to come by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed

katfromTN likes this.

Thread Information