SOTC + grail purchase pending + 40th bday coming up. What to do!?
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: SOTC + grail purchase pending + 40th bday coming up. What to do!?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

SOTC + grail purchase pending + 40th bday coming up. What to do!?

Bear with me, this may be a little long but hey, there will be pictures so it's not all bad news.

I've been saving up for a Speedmaster Professional for a couple years and I'm just about ready to buy it. That's unrelated to my 40th birthday this summer; for that, I want another special watch. Surprisingly, my wife is encouraging this more than I thought she would especially since I'm already about to buy an expensive watch like the Speedy. I have some company stocks maturing and I've been given the green light to take some of those funds and spend toward a second watch. All good news so far!

The main issue is - what should I get? I like so many watches, but what I do know is that I want something special to form a formidable duo with the Speedy.

Courtesy of Omega.com, this is of course what I'm talking about.

Name:  Omega Speedmaster Professional.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  143.2 KB

Just so you have an idea of the current rotation, these are the seven I normally wear to work (some more than others). The rest are true affordables that I won't list here.

Casio Oceanus

Citizen Signature Octavia chrono

Citizen Grand Classic

Casio G-Shock

Bulova Surveyor HEQ

Certina DS-2 PreciDrive

Citizen AT4008

Quite a few chronos, so the Speedy fits right in there.

Now, the candidates right now for "Watch # 2". Some pricier than others.

Omega AT grey dial (photo lifted from our very own 41METS here on WUS)

Name:  Omega Aqua Terra 8900 grey dial.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  67.2 KB

Omega Seamaster 2018 model in blue (picture by Monochrome Watches)

Name:  Omga SMP 8800 monochrome watches.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  9.2 KB

Rolex Datejust 36mm (Picture by Hodinkee)

Name:  ROLEX DATEJUST 36.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  92.3 KB

Grand Seiko Snowflake (picture by Fratello Watches)

Name:  Grand Seiko Snowflake.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  145.3 KB

All spectacular in their own right. The Rolex is quite a bit pricier than the others but I'm imagining that as a Speedy Pro buddy and it's a nice combo, I think.

Yet the Omegas are beautiful with great movements and also very versatile. And the GS with a bit less brand cache if you will but spectacular in every way.

I definitely have a lot of thinking and budgeting to do with these but I'm interested in what you guys would choose and why?

I appreciate your input and knowledge as always!

Re: SOTC + grail purchase pending + 40th bday coming up. What to do!?

I would consider maybe an older generation AT (the 2503 and 2504 series came in 36 and 39mm, many colors, and I think they are the nicest looking ATs ever made), or perhaps an Explorer 1 14270 or an Oyster Perpetual 36 mm in blue or silver with Arabic numerals (which looks a lot like an Explorer 1).
    jkpa likes this.
    ROLEX 14270 IWC 3239 OMEGA 2234.50.00 ZODIAC Super Sea Wolf BWC Chronograph

I think the Snowflake would be the perfect complementary piece: light dial/dark dial, SS/titanium, Swiss/Japanese, "simple" manual movement/hi-tech hybrid, etc.
    jkpa, TavisB and Stirling Moss like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I suggest a Rolex Explorer 2- white or black dial. I think that will suit your tool-sporty attraction. GMT, date, dress up and down- what else could you need?
    jkpa likes this.

Hello.... Well very lucky to be able to afford two nice pieces at once. So Congrats!
    Before anything I wanted to ask if the size was not a problem? Reason is that most of you collection looks to be 40+mm so a reduced model like the date just 36mm might feel a bit weird....have you tried it?

On the other hand I'd say +1 for GS. Concerning Brand cache I'd say is the latest of concerns... You have mostly a HUGE history behind that piece that gets often compared to Rolex in terms of manufacturing quality and movement performances. (but just my feeling)

Also having that kind of budget I'd go check out other brands..... I am a big fan of IWC (but don't know their prices).
    Good hunting.
    jkpa and TavisB like this.

I suggest you buy the Speedmaster first as planned, enjoy that and move the 40th birthday present for a year from now.
    Abandon all reason.

Quote Originally Posted by mnf67 View Post
    I would consider maybe an older generation AT (the 2503 and 2504 series came in 36 and 39mm, many colors, and I think they are the nicest looking ATs ever made), or perhaps an Explorer 1 14270 or an Oyster Perpetual 36 mm in blue or silver with Arabic numerals (which looks a lot like an Explorer 1).
    Also very good suggestions, thank you. Explorer is certainly way way up there with iconic status.

Quote Originally Posted by ajbutler13 View Post
    I think the Snowflake would be the perfect complementary piece: light dial/dark dial, SS/titanium, Swiss/Japanese, "simple" manual movement/hi-tech hybrid, etc.
    This is my feeling as well. Very balanced in a partnership with the Speedy. All those same points I'm considering.

Quote Originally Posted by VanAdian View Post
    I suggest a Rolex Explorer 2- white or black dial. I think that will suit your tool-sporty attraction. GMT, date, dress up and down- what else could you need?
    From what I've read, it wears big for 42mm and my sweet spot is around 40 with 42 ok for sportier pieces. Certainly a looker and a classic. Availability may be an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by upupa epops View Post
    I suggest you buy the Speedmaster first as planned, enjoy that and move the 40th birthday present for a year from now.
    Yeah this is very smart advice! See how I roll with the Speedmaster and go from there. Maybe doing another pricey piece so soon after would be rushed.

Quote Originally Posted by davidrrd View Post
    Hello.... Well very lucky to be able to afford two nice pieces at once. So Congrats!
    Before anything I wanted to ask if the size was not a problem? Reason is that most of you collection looks to be 40+mm so a reduced model like the date just 36mm might feel a bit weird....have you tried it?

On the other hand I'd say +1 for GS. Concerning Brand cache I'd say is the latest of concerns... You have mostly a HUGE history behind that piece that gets often compared to Rolex in terms of manufacturing quality and movement performances. (but just my feeling)

Also having that kind of budget I'd go check out other brands..... I am a big fan of IWC (but don't know their prices).
    Good hunting.
    Thank you. No, I did not try on the DJ yet. If it was 38mm I know it would be ideal since lighter dials tend to wear larger (to my eyes at least). I don't want it to be dainty on wrist, but it has never struck me as such in pictures. Trying it on would definitely have to happen before plunking down this sort of money (which is why I did try a Speedy in an AD last summer to confirm the size on wrist). GS in general is hugely appealing to me and the Snowflake is something special. The IWC suggestion is good but for me, other designs speak more to me.

You need a Rolex. That's what you need :D
    jkpa and harry_flashman like this.

My mind went straight to an Aqua Terra or Seamaster in blue, before I saw your candidates.

Part of the decision lies with your intentions for after these purchases. E.g the Speedy and Aqua Terra would cover you for many situations, but if you're thinking about a 3 watch collection eventually the Speedy, Seamaster and GS would be fantastic.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
    jkpa likes this.

I would suggest the Datejust or better yet a Submariner to go with the Speedmaster. Or if you want to save some money only buy the Datejust. It is the perfect all-around watch.
    jkpa likes this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information