Speedmaster experiences - downsides???
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Speedmaster experiences - downsides???

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Speedmaster experiences - downsides???

The Speedmaster is arguably the most generally approved of watchby WIS, but:

- They are notoriously rarely seen in the wild

- People do buy them and then sell them - even the Pro

So I was wondering if Speedmaster owners who don't wear the watch much, or who sold one, could explain why they were disappointed (if they were)?

Re: Speedmaster experiences - downsides???

I've never owned one but a customer of mine owns it. He knows I am a sucker for watches and lets me wear it sometimes. It's a beautiful watch and looks great, but anyone that isn't a WIS like us here, won't be able to tell that it's an expensive watch. It is very subtle on the wrist, but beautiful if you appreciate minor details.

Quote Originally Posted by scuttle View Post
    The Speedmaster is arguably the most generally approved of watchby WIS, but:

- They are notoriously rarely seen in the wild

- People do buy them and then sell them - even the Pro

So I was wondering if Speedmaster owners who don't wear the watch much, or who sold one, could explain why they were disappointed (if they were)?
    I am not a Speedmaster owner, so I can't give you stories of disappointment. I will tell you I disagree with them being "notoriously rarely seen in the wild", I have seen several in the wild...although every time I say that the WUS Speedmaster Union (WUSSU) protests. A versatile watch, an interesting (if not effectively marketed) history, a durable handsome handwound movement. For me, the negatives would be the watch just doesn't do much for me (although I can appreciate the watch), and they are the number one recommended watch on WUS - even if it meets NONE of the requested characteristics. For an owner...I supposed that would actually be a positive. If you like it...go for it! Good Luck!

Grail: Montblanc Villeret Tachydate Monopusher

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Own a vintage model with the hesalite crystal, and, while undoubtedly a great watch, the crystal scratches like hell (supposedly, these can be easily buffed out with 'tooth paste' or whatever, but it's a pain regardless) ...

Hope this helps.

Greets,

Pieter
    Current rotation:

A. Lange & Söhne Datograph (PT)
    A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Chronograph (WG)
    A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 Soirée (WG)
    Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chronograph (26320ST)
    Omega Speedmaster Professional Moon (1975)
    Panerai PAM 025 Submersible
    Patek Philippe 5146J Annual Calendar
    Rolex GMT Master II Pepsi 16700
    Rolex Sea Dweller 16600
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph (49150)
    Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Contemporaine (WG)

The speedy pro is the most comfortable watch I have and I love it. It will be the last watch I will ever sell off in my collection. Where I am based, they arent exactly rare in the wild. I have seen roughly 5 speedy pros this year alone.

However I can see how Hesalite, Manual wind and a lack of date would probably turn many non WIS/WIS off at the price point Omega is pricing the speedy pro for. The speedmaster's toolish design and multitute of quartz "look alikes" would most likely also put off many buying for the bling factor.
    Last edited by mew88; October 10th, 2013 at 16:23.

All right Scuttle, since you asked. The problem is that

The watch is just too good looking.

There are times, my friend, when a man wants to be able to just sink into anonymity. To have a drink or a smoke and not be swamped by watch-aware groupies. I tell you, it has got to the point where I can hardly walk down the street without mobs of adoring women fawning all over me. My boss is getting annoyed because NASA kept calling me at work to run ideas past me. I can't even spend my own money in restaurants anymore because my meals are free - seems that I, and my Speedy Pro, just attract customers. Even my wife now agrees with everything I say.

I really don't have time to read WUS forums much anymore either. I get so many PMs on the system: planning Speedmaster-related golfing trips, snorkeling junkets (we wear Seamasters for that...). Heck we've even booked the first Virgin Galactic Flight - for free. It's not all fun and games though, there's a lot of extra work when you own a Speedmaster! Running the global oil industry, remembering to wind the thing, choosing puppet governments, polishing the acrylic, trilateral commission meetings, buying calendars and events at Area 51 with extraterrestrials.

There. I said it. The Speedmaster isn't just a watch. It's a lifestyle. It is a great lifestyle, but it isn't for just anyone...

UPDATE: Scuttle banned?!? That explains the echo. I hope he comes back, he was my favorite "old-timer" abrasive newbie....
    Last edited by ken_sturrock; October 10th, 2013 at 17:46.

I believe most Speedmaster owners are like myself - I have enough watches in the rotation that it precludes any one watch from being worn very often. Still, it gets it at least once every 10 days, give or take.
    Drawbacks - not enough lume. Even witha "charge" it's gone by 4AM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

OP, in following your previous heat-generating posts: the mechanical chronograph, when service time approaches, will bankrupt small countries and is a horrible idea for a beginner.

From my view however, it does not have any 'downsides.' It is a beauty of a watch.

Wait... OP is banned?! LOLwut?
    CCJ likes this.

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

Quote Originally Posted by Roller.959 View Post
    I am not a Speedmaster owner, so I can't give you stories of disappointment. I will tell you I disagree with them being "notoriously rarely seen in the wild", I have seen several in the wild...although every time I say that the WUS Speedmaster Union (WUSSU) protests. A versatile watch, an interesting (if not effectively marketed) history, a durable handsome handwound movement. For me, the negatives would be the watch just doesn't do much for me (although I can appreciate the watch), and they are the number one recommended watch on WUS - even if it meets NONE of the requested characteristics. For an owner...I supposed that would actually be a positive. If you like it...go for it! Good Luck!
    I see more Speedmaster Pros in the wild, than I do Submariners - the classic watch that everyone on here likes to claim they see on every wrist other wrist in every other circumstance.

Beautiful watch. And still not common in any real sense. And I can't see a downside to wearing one - though some might miss a date complication. I've come close a few times to buying in. One day. maybe.
    Roller.959 likes this.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

The cost of servicing a chronograph has been enough to cause some to put their watch up for sale. Beyond that it is a lovely watch. At a Nats game I had the good fortune to sit next to a lady wearing a vintage Speedmaster. There is nothing like one of those classics so go for it end enjoy.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information