Are speedmasters cliche?
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Are speedmasters cliche?

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Are speedmasters cliche?

A controversial question perhaps? I'm longing for a speedmaster but seem to notice that many people have them. IMO they probably feature most in the WRUW threads. Don't get me wrong, I love the speedmaster and am planning on picking one up soon - but perhaps are they a WIS cliche?

Thoughts appreciated
    Speedmaster 3573.50 'Sapphire Sandwich' / Omega Railmaster 2803.52.37 | Tudor Black Bay 79220
    Seamaster 600
    / 70's Seamaster / Omega Geneve Dynamic
    Citizen Chronograph
    / Citizen Moon Phase

Re: Are speedmasters cliche?

Get a Longines, my grandfather's watch of choice. I wear his 1938 manual.

Ask in the Omega Forum.
    akasnowmaaan likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Niceday3 View Post
    A controversial question perhaps? I'm longing for a speedmaster but seem to notice that many people have them. IMO they probably feature most in the WRUW threads. Don't get me wrong, I love the speedmaster and am planning on picking one up soon - but perhaps are they a WIS cliche?

Thoughts appreciated
    I love you man!!!
    Many around here like to say that everybody and his brother has a Rolex or a Sub.....But along comes a poster who has seen the obvious!!
    I have been waiting for you ! You see, I couldn't say it because I own a Rolex....NOOOO..I had to wait for someone "neutral" to point this
    out. Thanks, man...You are so right !! All the "Space Cadets"....And there are hundreds of thousands, are out there right this minute
    wearing and pretending to be astronuts. It is C-L-I-C-H-E in bold letters! Again, thanks. IMHO
    lmcgbaj and Watermark like this.

heb

Hello, A bold, but interesting question. I think it may be. While certainly a watch with a great amount of provenance, it probably is approaching archaic status. The movement is not accurate nor stable right out of the box and as new owners seem to confirm, it suffers from a lot of idiosyncracies. Omega has a lot of better things to concern itself with. I wonder if a brand new Speedmaster Professional would pass NASA's old tests. heb

I don't see many in the wild, but see tons of subs/sub-alikes.

They may seem cliched on WUS, to some, because so many people recommend them, but IRL, it's not the case.

Pick up a panda dial, and you won't likely encounter another one in your travels.
    CCJ, sk412 and Legmaker72 like this.
    It is right that the world should illustrate the full nature of the infinite and not merely the particular ideals of man - Spinoza

Quote Originally Posted by little big feather View Post
    I love you man!!!
    Many around here like to say that everybody and his brother has a Rolex or a Sub.....But along comes a poster who has seen the obvious!!
    I have been waiting for you ! You see, I couldn't say it because I own a Rolex....NOOOO..I had to wait for someone "neutral" to point this
    out. Thanks, man...You are so right !! All the "Space Cadets"....And there are hundreds of thousands, are out there right this minute
    wearing and pretending to be astronuts. It is C-L-I-C-H-E in bold letters! Again, thanks. IMHO
    If you think hundreds of thousands of people who wear a speedmaster are pretending to be astronauts, you may be a little unstable...

Yup. Iconic, cliche, and the most recommended watch on WUS. A great watch for sure but I will never own one. It is the number one watch I've spotted in the wild. Even some Tachy-haters become conflicted...,"No...I can't NOT recommend ths Speedmaster...can I?" The greenest WIS' know they can recommend a Speedmaster and appear "in-the-know." Yup, the Speedmaster has earned its place in horological history...and all that has come with it.

Grail: Montblanc Villeret Tachydate Monopusher

I personally dislike the Speedmaster, too much going on... I like a simpler watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittysafe View Post
    If you think hundreds of thousands of people who wear a speedmaster are pretending to be astronauts, you may be a little unstable...
    I did not write astronauts...I clearly wrote Astronuts......And don't forget Space Cadets.
    lmcgbaj likes this.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information