Spoiled by impeccably finished and tuned watches
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Spoiled by impeccably finished and tuned watches

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Spoiled by impeccably finished and tuned watches

I find recently that after wearing some of my higher end pieces, I feel like lower priced watches can no longer satisfy my needs. This has progressively gotten more true over the years. That, in addition to the observation that I usually tend to sell off lower end pieces and consolidate to higher priced watches are making the purchase of a lower end piece much less appealing to me. I feel like they would possibly bring me very short-lived satisfaction and I would end up wanting to sell.
    Sometimes after buying a grail, Iíll get the urge to get an affordable, but over the years Iíve realized that the affordable usually donít end up staying long and itís just not worth it.
    Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon at all?

Edit - moved this later post up here as it supplements original post:
    I think it can be agreed on that between major price brackets there is a difference in quality of finish and mechanics. Some pieces within a price bracket might exhibit better finishing than watches that cost more within the same bracket, as there are always exceptions to the rule, and we can appreciate and be amazed at the ones that exceed our expectations.
    I think for me personally, once I get up to omega and up, I start finding designs and proportions that better fit my tastes, more robust, more original and accurate movements, as well as thoughtful finishing that I rarely find in lower price brackets. I think I can stay at letís say a Rolex price point happily for the rest of my life, even if I do acquire haute pieces like Lange or Patek or AP. Iíd say for my particular tastes, that point of diminishing returns starts at around Rolex prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kalburnfall; November 14th, 2017 at 19:51. Reason: using the word "great" turned out to be controversial
    Heljestrand likes this.

Re: Spoiled by great watches

I certainly have. I honestly even have trouble with "beater" watches. I just recently sold off my Maratac pilots, as well as a Tag formula 1, to buy a Sinn 240 ST. That, along with my IWC XVII have become my everyday wearers. I've had homeage submariners and even the Apple watch and they end up collecting dust.

Thankfully no,I do have Pams,JLC,Rolex,Omega but I do wear my Gshock,Seiko and microbrand...just adjust your expectations accordingly....
    londonflash likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

"Less is more." (often high quality LESS is much, much more)
    Berty234 and shapz like this.
    MIKE

Quote Originally Posted by Synequano View Post
    Thankfully no,I do have Pams,JLC,Rolex,Omega but I do wear my Gshock,Seiko and microbrand...just adjust your expectations accordingly....
    I think itís easier for me to wear a gshock than some more classically designed affordables. Maybe because I subconsciously see them as separate from my ďregular watchĒ category. That being said, I have been able to wear my Sinn 556i with relative satisfaction, but even after a couple weeks of wearing that I started wanting something nicer.

Synequano likes this.

Yes and no. My cheap watches often become a novelty however there are some cheap watches I’ve bought which still get regular use

Not really for me. I have a few decent pieces I love, but still enjoy my Orient Mako, and newly purchased Casio. They're all great in their own way!

That said, family and friends don't understand why I wear "cheap" watches when I have "better" ones - and they also don't want to hear me talk about what great values they are!!

my positive feedback - search "omega1300" in the feedback forum!

Quote Originally Posted by kalburnfall View Post
    Sometimes after buying a desirable watch [fixed that for you], Iíll get the urge to get an affordable, but over the years Iíve realized that the affordable usually donít end up staying long and itís just not worth it.
    Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon at all?
    In parts. In recent years, my "average value on the wrist" has been growing steadily, and many of my affordable pieces get a lot less wear time than before. At the moment, my two most expensive watches, GP Sea Hawk and PAM111, are also my most worn watches.

However, I also like diversity and wear about 15 different watches each month. I love to make a difference with different case colors or materials (-> see your other thread for reference ), so brass, bronze, titanium and blue(!) PVD watches rank right after the PAM and GP in my wearing statistics. Most of those are in the sub $500 category and I enjoy them a lot.

Most worn watches at the moment:

Name:  Panerai_Luminor_r03.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  129.3 KB

Name:  GP_Sea_Hawk_r10.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  125.3 KB

Name:  Poseidon_r10.jpg
Size:  89.4 KB

Name:  Steinhart_Ocean_r06.jpg
Size:  95.7 KB

Name:  Maranez_r08.jpg
Size:  154.5 KB

Name:  Locman_r09.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  134.8 KB

Nope. I enjoy them all. I was like a kid at Christmas when my Timex Marlin arrived. I have enjoyed Rolex too but also wondered why these pretty generic looking watches cost so much. I can flip that and also say they are the complete package. Depends on my mood.

However, a watch that gives more than what you paid always wins... rather than one that gives way less.
    GT27 and Longjean like this.
    Seikopath.

Past & Present brands - Seiko - Citizen - Rolex - TAG Heuer - Christopher Ward - Bulova - Vostok - Casio

No. I only have one "expensive" watch - a Rolex DJ that I bought new earlier this year. I love it, but if I had to pick a favorite watch brand, I think it would have to be Orient.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information