Sports activity and auto.watches

Thread: Sports activity and auto.watches

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sports activity and auto.watches

Does the exaggerated movement that comes with running or swimming(sports) have any adverse effect on the acuracy or integrity of the movement of automatic watches? I see some are developing shock absorbtion systems for their brands.Just wondering how much thay can tolerate.I don't want to get one and have to worry/remember to take it off if I should start shooting hoops or something of that nature.Looking at the Omega AT 8500.

Re: Sports activity and auto.watches

No I say don't worry about it.

You can always get a beater but it's better to enjoy the watch you bought.

I don't think you need to even worry about that unless you are doing something extreme. I would not run a marathon, pound nails on a roof, or golf with an expensive timepiece. Chances are nothing terrible would happen if you did, at least not at first, but I still wouldn't do it. Buy a mechanical beater or (if you must) quartz for this. But shooting hoops, swimming, running should not be a concern.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

No - you'll be fine. This has been discussed numerous times here in the past (mainly golf and handguns) and the consensus is that it isn't an issue.

It might be fine, but my watches are not cheap so if I'm doing something really active I wear a quartz.

Haven't had any problems. I swim around 40 laps in my pool every day and always wear my SMP, I've been doing that since I first got it about two months ago and it's been perfect. Timekeeping hasn't been affected at all either. So if it's good for swimming I imagine an auto is good for running as well.

Banned

As Geoffbot said this question often comes up here. The only report of damage I recall was with a member using a power tool and forgetting to take it off. It might have been a jack hammer. I have never thought of removing my watch when firing handguns, rifles, or shotguns. Dropping one on a tile floor is a different story altogether.

That said, many posters will point to pro golfers not wearing watches. Not so. Phil Michelson among others do. I also never see pro NBA or NFL players, MLB players or soccer players wear watches while playing but that is because it is a contact sport rather than fear of damage to a watch. Few wear jewelry either except around their necks. Which is more of a risk to them than other players.
    Last edited by marchone; October 15th, 2012 at 23:18.

Thanks all. Nice to hear.I'm hopeing to get my first mech.soon and haveing always owned a quartz never thought about taking it off for any activity.marchone,good point about wearing one while useing a firearm.I hunt and some of my rifles have quite recoil to them.Looking forward to an AT8500 !!

Probably be fine, but I'll dissent slightly. I own an AT8500 and I definitely take it off before working out, sparring, etc. Low chance of hurting the movement, but add it in with the chance of the clasp coming undone or slipping and falling on it etc. These are $4000+ watches and I'd rather just wear my g-shock or something and be able to play at 100% without worrying.

i wear my Gshocks. I know they can take the abuse, plus they are so much lighter than any of my autos except for my RM027.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information