WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Sporty/dressy under 1000$

2K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  gkirle 
#1 ·
Hello my friends,

I would like to have your opinion regarding my next watch.

What I'm looking for:

Sporty/dressy for everyday use that can be worn for formal occasions as well (tie, etc)
Clean dial, no chronograph
Automatic
Equal to or Bigger than 40mm
Upward limit of ~13mm thick
Sapphire crystal
Not a used one
If it looks good both on a bracelet and on leather would be a plus

Example that I have in mind: Citizen Grand Classic

My budget: 1000$ firm.

Thank you in advance

#4 ·
Mido Multifort 42mm. If you're going to go both ways, of course get the bracelet version (other than a butterfly clasp, the bracelet is excellent.)

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Silver

(my variant, but also available in dark gray dial with white indexes and a 'special edition black/black PVD/orange' on strap only)

#5 ·
Mido Multifort 42mm. If you're going to go both ways, of course get the bracelet version (other than a butterfly clasp, the bracelet is excellent.)

View attachment 3565082 View attachment 3565090

(my variant, but also available in dark gray dial with white indexes and a 'special edition black/black PVD/orange' on strap only)
This is a GOOD one. Exactly as I want it to be. No numbers or numerals and ''almost'' clean dial with stripes. Really good.

#18 ·
Hello my friends.

Thank you all for taking the time to suggest some watches.
I decided to go for one of these two(pictures borrowed):
Citizen grand classic white View attachment 3586698

Mido Multifort 42mm white View attachment 3586730

What would you choose?
Well, I own the Mido, that exact one, so I guess you know which I'd choose.
The ETA movement is nicely decorated, and the dial detail is just so cool, from either far away (it looks like large stripes) to up close (where you can see the detail):

Watch Clock Number Gauge Metal

I got a great deal on the white, but if I had to do it all over again, it'd get the grey. 42mm white dial watch with a very small bezel looks just a but too big on my ~7" wrist:

But people have raved about that particular Citizen, so I don't think you can go wrong.

#19 · (Edited)
Likewise I chose the Mido Multifort.

I've handled the Citizen and it's a nice piece, but here's my take:

The Mido is a stunner from the front, and the back is not bad in the slightest. The milled look "Cotes de Geneve" style dial isn't something you'll find anywhere else. It catches the light very well from multiple angles. The rotor on the back is decorated and the movement, while being a pretty much standard grade ETA, is really nicely finished. I could make an argument for the dark gray, but honestly the argument would be that I want both. The gray is probably more practical but the white "pops" more.

The Citizen is a little different. The case is a little smaller and the front of the dial is *nice* and very nicely finished and the handset is very nice (I like the blue a lot.) But the impression you get with it in its case is that it's a very nice watch that just seems a little overpriced compared to the competition--it's clearly special, but why is it twice the cost of a SARB for example. Then you flip it over. The movement is finished to an elabore like grade with millwork and gold inlay. That's not normally something you see in <$1k Japanese watches and that *isn't* something you're going to find very often. If you like that aspect of artistry that's just for the owner to enjoy, this is a great watch for that.

I guess it comes down to which you prefer-- the Mido leaves it all on the table. You're buying the style aspect, and while the movement is fantastic, it's more 'commensurate with its price class' than 'amazing for its price class.'

The Citizen Signature is a watch that's nice-- very nicely finished and refined but the WOW is all on the inside. Maybe without being too harsh on the Citizen, it's a ~$500 watch with a $1,000+ watch movement on the inside would be my impression.

As said, you can't go wrong with either. Either one would be a great choice and you should get the one that appeals most-- think on it a few days and grab the one that you just can't get out of your mind.

#25 ·
Likewise I chose the Mido Multifort.

I've handled the Citizen and it's a nice piece, but here's my take:

The Mido is a stunner from the front, and the back is not bad in the slightest. The milled look "Cotes de Geneve" style dial isn't something you'll find anywhere else. It catches the light very well from multiple angles. The rotor on the back is decorated and the movement, while being a pretty much standard grade ETA, is really nicely finished. I could make an argument for the dark gray, but honestly the argument would be that I want both. The gray is probably more practical but the white "pops" more.

The Citizen is a little different. The case is a little smaller and the front of the dial is *nice* and very nicely finished and the handset is very nice (I like the blue a lot.) But the impression you get with it in its case is that it's a very nice watch that just seems a little overpriced compared to the competition--it's clearly special, but why is it twice the cost of a SARB for example. Then you flip it over. The movement is finished to an elabore like grade with millwork and gold inlay. That's not normally something you see in <$1k Japanese watches and that *isn't* something you're going to find very often. If you like that aspect of artistry that's just for the owner to enjoy, this is a great watch for that.

I guess it comes down to which you prefer-- the Mido leaves it all on the table. You're buying the style aspect, and while the movement is fantastic, it's more 'commensurate with its price class' than 'amazing for its price class.'

The Citizen Signature is a watch that's nice-- very nicely finished and refined but the WOW is all on the inside. Maybe without being too harsh on the Citizen, it's a ~$500 watch with a $1,000+ watch movement on the inside would be my impression.

As said, you can't go wrong with either. Either one would be a great choice and you should get the one that appeals most-- think on it a few days and grab the one that you just can't get out of your mind.
The citizen imo was a lot bigger than the pictures lead me to believe. It's also decently thick. I was also a bit disappointed by the crystal as it was somewhat distorted at angles. The movement on the back was really nice, very well done. I like the watch and if you can get it for around 700-750 I don't think it's a bad value, but it was one of the few watches that disappointed me a bit in person. It seems forum members avoid the flaws when they post pics.

Haven't seen the mido so no comment there.

#20 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.