The Stages of Watch Obsession
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: The Stages of Watch Obsession

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Are there predictable stages of watch addiction? Iím reasonably new to this hobby/obsession, but have followed a pretty typical path getting here I think. this is how I see it:

Stage 1 - Normal Dude.
    I wore a Nixon watch I got as a gift. Nothing special. Didnít care much about it. This is most ppl that wear watches I think. And was me for a couple decades.

Stage 2 - Normal Dude Who Appreciates a Cool Lookin Watch.
    Donít know what triggered it, but at some point I started noticing watches a bit. Bought a giant, vulgar, testosterone-soaked Guess watch I lugged around on my arm for the better part of a year. Eventually I came to my senses and upgraded to a more reasonably sized Fossil that I really quite enjoyed and wore Up until it broke. I think this is just about everybody else who wears a watch.

Stage 3 - Watch Nerd from the Sidelines - Basic Newb
    Unlike my forgotten trigger for Stage 2, I know exactly what triggered Stage 3, and itís real clichť. The Omega Speedmaster Professional. Some well placed Omega marketing drifted through my internet browser and it was revealed to me that that particular watch had been worn on the freakin MOON, Dude! Well that had me. Hook, line and sinker. This was obviously the best watch ever made. Not to mention that after looking at only Nixons and Fossils and similar my whole life, an Omega was the most beautiful watch in existence too. And so I obsessed over the Moonwatch for some time. Even started putting $20 in a jar every paycheque to buy one in ten years. But my obsession with the Omega Pro specifically, inevitably led me to other chronographs which lead predictably to the Rolex Daytona, which lead to the Submariner which basically opened the flood gates on my expanding watch taste.
    Once youíre here, I suspect itís unavoidable to move on to deeper stages of addiction.

Stage 4 - Low Level Collector/High Level Obsessor - Watch Enthusiast
    This is where Iím at currently. Own a couple Steinharts. Got a want list including some other homages. But thatís all my sensibilities will budget for. I do spend almost all my free time browsing the internet about watches though.

Stage 5 - High Level Collector - Proper Mega Nerd
    I can only speculate personally, but I suspect this is the next stage and is in my future. Thereís a lot of stories on here of watch collections that drain life savings, and the futility of trying to make a profit from watches as an investment. But that doesnít seem to deter once youíre in this deep. Blindly obsessed. But at least youíre goin broke doin what you love, right?

Am I missing something else? Is there any hope for me or am I gonna find myself divorced and selling my house to bid on a $100k milsub ten years from now? Oh man, itíd be cool to own a real milsub...

Re: The Stages of Watch Obsession

Stage 4 here. I have a modest collection, buying and flipping and trying to curate my collection is about all I do in my free time. Hey letís not forget the strap and bracelet world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    morningtundra and sbhas2k like this.
    Current Rotation

Rolex Submariner 116613
    Ginault Ocean Rover 181070LSILN
    Tag Heuer 2000 Series CK 2117 Automatic
    Tag Heuer SEL Automatic WI2150
    Tag Heuer 1500 GMT Edition White & Black
    Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAF 1111
    Hamilton Khaki King Automatic
    Seiko Sarb 017 Alpinist

learn to admire without having the need to acquire.
    I don't collect...I buy when I find that the watch just seems too perfect to pass.
    Buy experiences, not possessions.

I like watches but I'm not going to sacrifice other things like a vacation, or peace of mind, or a camera to get that watch.
    ďIf we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.Ē
    ― Seneca

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Stage $...I mean 4 here.
    Current Rotation:

Dress: Movado Bold X 2 / Movado Juro
    GADA:

Beater: Luminox Navy Seal Colormark / Citizen Eco-Drive

Future GADA Acquisitions:

Black Dial - Longines HydroConquest
    White Dial - Sinn 104
    Bronze - Oris Diver Sixty-Five

Grails:

Tudor Black Bay Fifty-Eight
    Omega Seamaster Diver 300 Co-Axial

Incoming:
    TAG Aquaracer WAY211C (Blue Dial / Blue Ceramic Bezel)

Quote Originally Posted by chuasam View Post
    You just said it perfectly. I came to a point that I keep buying but can't just wear everything on rotation. I got bit sad realizing how much I got to enjoy it really, so I've decided to thin my collection and keep a limit of 10 watches. Also I have other hobbies to feed, i.e. photography. Anyone who's into photography knows gear acquisition syndrome (GAS) could be a problem too! Haha, now on my rehab stage, so I just pass the addictioaound. 😉
    ihutch1942 likes this.
    Your wingwoman for watches

Stage 6 or 7 youíll become aware of haute horology and acknowledge how little you really know after years obsessing over a Submariner/Speedmaster/Navitimer. The holy trinity will make you reconsider what your grail really is. Youíll become aware of technically mind blowing complications and movement finishing techniques, which will lead you into the deep and dark world of elite micro brands.

At this stage youíll be ready to sell your children and question whether you really need that second, redundant kidney.

Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra

Quote Originally Posted by chuasam View Post
    I don't collect...I buy when I find that the watch just seems too perfect to pass.
    Buy experiences, not possessions.

I like watches but I'm not going to sacrifice other things like a vacation, or peace of mind, or a camera to get that watch.
    I’m kinda hoping the Steinharts and Squales of the world will make a modest collection possible without losin the farm. Once you start buyin vintage Rolexs you’re financially comitted pretty deep.

Quote Originally Posted by danimaru View Post
    Are there predictable stages of watch addiction? I’m reasonably new to this hobby/obsession, but have followed a pretty typical path getting here I think. this is how I see it:

Stage 1 - Normal Dude.
    I wore a Nixon watch I got as a gift. Nothing special. Didn’t care much about it. This is most ppl that wear watches I think. And was me for a couple decades.

Stage 2 - Normal Dude Who Appreciates a Cool Lookin Watch.
    Don’t know what triggered it, but at some point I started noticing watches a bit. Bought a giant, vulgar, testosterone-soaked Guess watch I lugged around on my arm for the better part of a year. Eventually I came to my senses and upgraded to a more reasonably sized Fossil that I really quite enjoyed and wore Up until it broke. I think this is just about everybody else who wears a watch.

Stage 3 - Watch Nerd from the Sidelines - Basic Newb
    Unlike my forgotten trigger for Stage 2, I know exactly what triggered Stage 3, and it’s real clichť. The Omega Speedmaster Professional. Some well placed Omega marketing drifted through my internet browser and it was revealed to me that that particular watch had been worn on the freakin MOON, Dude! Well that had me. Hook, line and sinker. This was obviously the best watch ever made. Not to mention that after looking at only Nixons and Fossils and similar my whole life, an Omega was the most beautiful watch in existence too. And so I obsessed over the Moonwatch for some time. Even started putting $20 in a jar every paycheque to buy one in ten years. But my obsession with the Omega Pro specifically, inevitably led me to other chronographs which lead predictably to the Rolex Daytona, which lead to the Submariner which basically opened the flood gates on my expanding watch taste.
    Once you’re here, I suspect it’s unavoidable to move on to deeper stages of addiction.

Stage 4 - Low Level Collector/High Level Obsessor - Watch Enthusiast
    This is where I’m at currently. Own a couple Steinharts. Got a want list including some other homages. But that’s all my sensibilities will budget for. I do spend almost all my free time browsing the internet about watches though.

Stage 5 - High Level Collector - Proper Mega Nerd
    I can only speculate personally, but I suspect this is the next stage and is in my future. There’s a lot of stories on here of watch collections that drain life savings, and the futility of trying to make a profit from watches as an investment. But that doesn’t seem to deter once you’re in this deep. Blindly obsessed. But at least you’re goin broke doin what you love, right?

Am I missing something else? Is there any hope for me or am I gonna find myself divorced and selling my house to bid on a $100k milsub ten years from now? Oh man, it’d be cool to own a real milsub...
    I can tell you that from my experience there's a stage between 4 and 5. The middle level collector, where you definitely spend a lot of free time and mostly have reasonably affordable pieces... however you've broken down once or twice. I was a solid stage 4, until I started to obsess over a Speedy and pulled the trigger on a deal I couldn't resist!
    chuasam likes this.

Once you start obsessing over Watches, you go from a normal dude to an abnormal dude.

Yes; I am definitely abnormal!
    Synequano likes this.
    Dan.
    A. Lange & Sohne 1815 Up/Down
    H. Moser & Cie Pioneer Centre Seconds
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Tribute Small Seconds
    Officine Panerai Radiomir PAM 720
    Rolex Submariner 114060 (No Date)
    Cartier Santos WSSA0010
    Apple Watch Series 4 Nike+
    Seiko SKX007
    Seiko SKX009
    Casio G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400-1
    Casio G-Shock GA-700
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600E
    And others (not really worth mentioning)

Quote Originally Posted by morningtundra View Post
    Stage 6 or 7 you’ll become aware of haute horology and acknowledge how little you really know after years obsessing over a Submariner/Speedmaster/Navitimer. The holy trinity will make you reconsider what your grail really is. You’ll become aware of technically mind blowing complications and movement finishing techniques, which will lead you into the deep and dark world of elite micro brands.

At this stage you’ll be ready to sell your children and question whether you really need that second, redundant kidney.

Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra
    This is precisely what I feared. Oh boy.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information