Stamped warranty cards & service receipts and the authenticity of the watch
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By humanalien

Thread: Stamped warranty cards & service receipts and the authenticity of the watch

Stamped warranty cards & service receipts and the authenticity of the watch

So i've noticed that in private dealings, whether or not it has the stamped paper (purchased from ad) is an important issue.

I mean I would feel much more comfortable buying something that was purchased from AD as well, but what exactly is the purpose for this? Assuming that the original warranty date has passed, is there any merit in getting a pre-owned item that has the stamped warranty or not? Or is this only for the "I feel comfortable buying it because it somehow proves its authenticity"? (Which I'm assuming impacts huge on its resale value? Typically how much discount should I look for for items without stamped warranties?)

There is a deal that I'm looking forward to soon, and the watch has box but no papers, except that it was "sent to Govberg for repair, and they (apparently) sent it to the manufacturer service center for the repair, and came back with 2 years of Govberg warranty". I read and heard lots of posts about Govberg, and I think they are pretty safe and legit business, but can this "Govberg service receipt" somehow make its connection to the authenticity of the watch? If then, should I not worry that it wasn't purchased originally from someone who's not an A.D.?

thanks!
    Favorites brands, in order:
    Andreas Strehler, Grönefeld, Romain Gauthier, Rolex, H. Moser & Cie, Moritz Grossmann, Raul Pagés, Lang & Heyne, Urban Jürgensen, Glashütte Original, Vacheron Constantin, Schwarz-Etienne,Czapek & Cie, Zenith, Ressence, MING, Arnold & Son, Jaquet Droz, Hentschel, Maurice Lacroix, Girard Perregaux, Dornblüth & Sohn, Eterna, Parmigiani, Perrelet, Raymond Weil, Tag Heuer, Bulova, Tourby, Orient, and many more :)

~ Musician ~

Re: Stamped warranty cards & service receipts and the authenticity of the watch

I use the AD stamped papers to document authenticity in resale situations. If no papers, manufacturer's service receipt suffices as proof of authenticity for me. While I would trust an established, reputable vendor like Govberg in the situation you describe, I'd prefer an actual manufacturer service receipt. I really don't know how the minutiae works but I would think that Govberg, or anyone requesting/paying for service, would be able to get something from the manufacturer detailing work done, whether general or specific . . .
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Meraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

drhr,

I see. In my case, the watch brand is Glashutte Original, and according to the seller (private), when he sent the watch to Govberg for repair, the Govberg said "they are not comfortable servicing the watch" so they "apparently" sent the watch to the actual Glashutte Service Center. No paperwork from Glashutte themselves, but still, the servicing was done by Glashutte. I asked the private seller for the photo of this Govberg receipt to see if it actually states in the receipt that the watch was serviced by the Real Glashutte Service Center. I have yet to receive the photo.

Assuming the receipt shows that service was really done by Glashutte, do you think its resale value will not drop much and that the receipt paper will serve just like the stamped AD papers?
    Andreas Strehler, Grönefeld, Romain Gauthier, Rolex, H. Moser & Cie, Moritz Grossmann, Raul Pagés, Lang & Heyne, Urban Jürgensen, Glashütte Original, Vacheron Constantin, Schwarz-Etienne,Czapek & Cie, Zenith, Ressence, MING, Arnold & Son, Jaquet Droz, Hentschel, Maurice Lacroix, Girard Perregaux, Dornblüth & Sohn, Eterna, Parmigiani, Perrelet, Raymond Weil, Tag Heuer, Bulova, Tourby, Orient, and many more :)

~ Musician ~

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

A lot depends on the watch in question. Several GO models have only terrible, obvious fakes out there, so authentication is much less of an issue. A Rolex, on the other hand -- for that, I'd be meaningfully more comfortable with papers.

(And, of course, paper can be forged.)

Likestheshiny,
    that last statement made me super nervous! Well, the only photo available was the photo of the front part of the watch, so I just requested the seller some photos of the back part of the watch as well. I wish I could see the watch in person before buying it, but don't think I will be able to. :(

~ Musician ~

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by humanalien View Post
    Likestheshiny,
    that last statement made me super nervous! Well, the only photo available was the photo of the front part of the watch, so I just requested the seller some photos of the back part of the watch as well. I wish I could see the watch in person before buying it, but don't think I will be able to. :(
    get another $1k together and buy a new one...

Op...If Govberg say's it's real....it is real, without question.
    A respectable service company will not work on a fake. That's just the way it is.
    Having service proof from an Authorized Service Center is the same as a factory service
    receipt.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Quote Originally Posted by humanalien View Post
    drhr,

I see. In my case, the watch brand is Glashutte Original, and according to the seller (private), when he sent the watch to Govberg for repair, the Govberg said "they are not comfortable servicing the watch" so they "apparently" sent the watch to the actual Glashutte Service Center. No paperwork from Glashutte themselves, but still, the servicing was done by Glashutte. I asked the private seller for the photo of this Govberg receipt to see if it actually states in the receipt that the watch was serviced by the Real Glashutte Service Center. I have yet to receive the photo.

Assuming the receipt shows that service was really done by Glashutte, do you think its resale value will not drop much and that the receipt paper will serve just like the stamped AD papers?
    I can't speak to the complete resale value query as a lot more than papers come into play when I buy/sell a watch. But with specific regard to service performed/documented by the manufacturer without incident, I have to assume the watch is legit. As a buyer/seller, said proof means the same as stamped AD card to me and I price/offer accordingly . . .
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Meraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

little big feather,

my bad! I didn't know at all that Govberg was an authorized retailer of Glashutte; I just found out that it is.
    I guess then it is safe to assume the watch is legit. hmmm.
    little big feather likes this.

~ Musician ~

Thread Information