Starting everyday watch collection, looking for advice
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Starting everyday watch collection, looking for advice

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Starting everyday watch collection, looking for advice

Hi all,

I haven't owned a single watch for 20 years, but have grown very interested lately in starting a basic collection to meet everyday use.

I have been reading these forums for a few weeks and I think I am now in a position to ask for some advice I should understand !

I would like to acquire a watch for sports/serious man work, casual t-shirt wear, casual business wear, formal business wear. Total budget around $5,000.

The one restriction I have is very small wrists at 6" and with current trends of watch sizes this has ruled out a lot of watches I really like.

So far I have come up with.

Seiko SKX007K2/SK013 / Citizen Royal Marines
    Hamilton Khaki Field (with bracelet)
    Omega Seamaster (36.5" ?) / Omega Planet Ocean (38" ?)
    Nomos Club / Longines Conquest Classic

I have tried on the Hamilton which I like (but without the day indicator) and does seem to be about the right size at only 38mm.

All advice / ideas very welcome.

Name:  IMG_3784.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  275.9 KB
    Last edited by smatt1009; August 4th, 2014 at 19:42.
    ColinW likes this.

Re: Starting everyday watch collection, looking for advice

Welcome! I think that Hamilton fits you well. The watches you have chosen are all nice; my only advice might be to not buy them all at once but perhaps instead one at a time as your tastes may change during say, a month of ownership.
    bacari, scooby and ajbutler13 like this.

Most people start off with a Seiko. If you've $5000 to spend and are sure you really want to spend all that on watches, I'd probably go with a Speedmaster Professional. That's a common one as well. Your tastes seem to gravitate at the end towards divers. Someone (i.e. everyone) will start recommending the Black Bay soon. But I would agree with the above. Start with the Hamilton. It's cheap and is a nice entry. Then you can take more time to think about what you really want in your next one and still have the money left to buy it.
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Swatch | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |
    Mulling Over - | Minase Horizon | Reservoir |
    On deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 8 Dark Side of the Moon |
    Waiting to be on deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary |

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hello and welcome! All of the watches you listed are nice. You really can't go wrong with the Seiko divers you mentioned. Out of your list, I prefer the Nomos Club, but I don't think it will be a very good fit for your "sports/serious man work." If it is within your budget, maybe you can pick up both the Nomos Club and one of the Seikos you mentioned and wear whichever watch is most appropriate for the given dress or activity. Based on your wrist size, I would also be looking at pre-owned/vintage...watches like the 36mm Rolex Explorer and the older Tudor Ranger. The photo you posted of the 38mm Hamilton looks like a good fit on your wrist. I think you can go with anything between 34mm up to maybe some 40mm depending on the lug shape and length.
    Take care and good luck!

Rolex 36 mm oyster perpetual, I have skinny wrists, and wear this everyday, fits great, classic look, goes with everything,, I have no date, and striking blue face, right in your sweet zone for price too.
    bacari and honestlygreedy like this.

Welcome to the forum. Start off with something like the Seiko - If you find out after a month of ownership that you're not that keen on divers it's no massive loss and you can look at dressier watches.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I was thinking a watch in all these categories, total budget to cover all 4 watches over a period of 6-12 months.

I was considering one expensive purchase but then felt I would need some variety and different uses.

I tried on the hamilton as it seemed a good place to start, so many recommendations on the forum, good value for money and at a stretch can be used for several types of wear. Interestingly I wanted the leather strap but it just didn't fit well at all, very stiff and caused the watch to raise up off my wrist.

I love the speedmaster and was the first watch when I started looking I really wanted, but then the size seems to only be 42mm and it will likely look too big.

Love the idea of an older 36mm Rolex but I am not sure I am ready for the impression it will give (I mean no offence to anyone lucky enough to already own one).

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Start off with something like the Seiko - If you find out after a month of ownership that you're not that keen on divers it's no massive loss and you can look at dressier watches.
    Has anyone experience with SKX007 on very small wrist ?

the cost is low but I cannot try these out for size first.

Welcome aboard!

I have to agree with Geoff. If you are after 4 watches, I would buy one at a time and let each sit with you for awhile... say 3 - 6 months before your next purchase. This achieves two things... first, you get to hone and develop your likes and dislikes for watches and second it gives you time to increase your budget if needed.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!
    Rolex Submariner
    Zenith Chronomaster XT Open El Primero

Omega Seamaster James Bond 007 Limited Edition
    Kobold Comanche
    Helson Sharkmaster
    Sinn U1
    Alpina Extreme Diver

Maurice Lacroix Miros
    Ball B&O First Mile

Edox Classe Royale Open Heart Automatic
    Shinola Brakeman 46

Luminox 3000 Navy Seal Diver
    Hamilton Khaki Navy Sub
    Seiko Black Monster
    Citizen Ecozilla
    Deep Blue Sunray Diver 1k
    and various other makes and models

My SKX009 wears well on my 6.75" wrist but is you are unsure perhaps the SKX013 is the watch to go for.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information