Starting from "Scratch," Trouble Pulling the Trigger
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Starting from "Scratch," Trouble Pulling the Trigger

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Starting from "Scratch," Trouble Pulling the Trigger

A little background for reference:
    I started amassing watches beginning in 2015. My first purchase was the Seiko SNZG15. I wore that watch for about 7-8 months straight. Ever since then, I don't think I've had the same watch on my wrist for more than 3 months. I went on pick up my first $1,000 watch at the end of that year, which was a huge deal. It wasn't a special watch (Alpina Seastrong 300), but it made considering watches at a higher price point easier.

• 2016 was an absolute whirlwind of watches. Omega Seasmaster 300, Tudor Black Bay with the gilt dial, nearly the entire SARB line-up of Seiko, Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Hesalite, and top cap off the year, I got myself the Rolex Explorer II Polar.
    • 2017 was probably the most expensive year of my life. Rebought the Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch twice (yes, three times total), the Alpina Seastrong again, Tudor Black Bay 36, Rolex OP 39, Rolex Sub ND, Rolex Sub, Rolex OP 36, Sinn U1, Junghans Max Bill, Oris Pro Pilot 41, Oris Diver 65, and last but not least, the Seiko MM300.
    • Early 2018 is when I started to cool it, but not before the Sinn144, Sinn 556i, Rolex Explorer I, and a handful of Seiko Turtles. I sold off all the watches listed above, and now I feel like I'm actually starting to think a tiny bit more rationally.

I currently have two watches in my collection. Oris Pro Pilot 41, and Rolex OP 39 with the new white dial. I seem to get my watches in pairs.
    Anyways, I'm trying to decide between a diver and a chronograph. Considering a combo including the Sinn T2/Tudor Pelagos/Seiko MM300 vs. the Sinn 144/Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch.
    I've been balking at which to buy first. I really don't want to buy the "wrong" watch. I would like to have more money towards one diver or one chronograph. Help!

Re: Starting from "Scratch," Trouble Pulling the Trigger

Uhhh.....I got nothing. You need professional help. ;)

Okay, either you really need to get a plan, or you're overthinking it. I've bought/sold probably like you but I don't worry about it too much. Besides gifts and heirlooms, my Speedmaster is my "one watch" that I'll never sell. All the others are open for business. Over time, I've gone from collecting brands, to collecting complications, and now I seem to be collecting chronographs (which I've always liked).

I figure it's a hobby, so I don't spend a lot of time worrying about whether or not I'm doing it right. (Apparently, it's competitive now. I missed that memo.) Just buy what you like and when you tire of it, sell it and move on. And no, I don't care about resale value. The difference between my purchase price and my sales price is my rent for enjoying the watch.
    AdventureTimeWith likes this.

I'd go Pelagos and Sinn 903. However, IMO the Sinn 144 looks a bit like the Omega Mark II (perhaps the resemblance is only the tonneau case, or maybe I'm just crazy?). You could cut the difference and get the Mark II and thus get the omega movement with some of the looks of the Sinn.
    Attached Images Attached Images

They say the people with the most birthdays tend to live the longest.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well I have the Tudor Pelagos (love it), and the Speedy moonwatch (love it), so put those two together and job done!

Don’t overthink it as they are all great combos and as such there’s no “wrong” decision. Must admit that I’m leaning towards the Speedy a little.

I’ve got the speedy and the Pelagos and both are fantastic. Great 2 watch combo.

The Sinn 903 is one that has also gotten my interest of late. Beautiful piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pelagos + Speedy would be my vote of what you have listed.

As much as I like Sinn, the 144 just doesn’t do it for me. Now if you had listed the 356, 358, or 903... then I’d have to pick one of those over the Speedy.

Daniel

Unless you're dying to replace that Speedmaster for the umpteenth time, how about an El Primero (the tri-colour in particular)? It always struck me as a nice watch to wear Monday through Friday.

Random image from the Internet,
    Name:  zenith_tricolour.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  90.8 KB

Sometimes this forum serves the same purpose as watching The Jerry Springer Show (i.e. I may have it bad, but at least it’s not THAT bad). :)

Holy crap that’s quite the ride, my friend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First your should figure out why you sold the Speedy three times, before buying it a fourth time. Is it the look? The fit? The size? If you were unhappy with it three times already it is hard to recommend going there again. I have one and I love it, but there are so many nice chronograph out there that it doesn’t have to be a Speedy. Perhaps a Sinn 356 or the new Longines Big Eye?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information