Starting to think try before you buy, the heck with saving a few bucks (online) thoughts?
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Starting to think try before you buy, the heck with saving a few bucks (online) thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Starting to think try before you buy, the heck with saving a few bucks (online) thoughts?

As my facsination grows with timepieces, Im really starting to figure out what fits my wrist, what bands I prefer, and what my overall tastes are starting to evolve into, Im thinking that watch shopping needs to extend into the retail shops and not just bargain hunting online, I only have about 12 watches (my beater beaters I dont list in my sig, lol) but I say about 9 of them are online purchases, my mako for example, I would have never went with the silicone band if I wore it in person (still love the watch). So what does anybody think, spend alittle extra so you can experience it on your wrist first?
    Tag Heuer Formula 1, Bulova Marine Star, Orient Ray Black, Nixon Sentry
    Citizen Perpetual Calendar, Invicta Pro Diver,Timex Expedition Trailmate

Re: Starting to think try before you buy, the heck with saving a few bucks (online) thoughts?

Why not try on locally, give them a shot to get close on price, and if they don't, buy online?

Re: Starting to think try before you buy, the heck with saving a few bucks (online) thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by ~tc~ View Post
    Why not try on locally, give them a shot to get close on price, and if they don't, buy online?
    What he said...and that's only pertaining to major brands like Tissot, Casio, Rolex, etc. that have extensive AD networks.

Closing the door to online purchases deprives you of some excellent microbrands that you pretty much have to take on faith or trust the feedback from other forum members. Like Christopher Ward, Stowa and Steinhart are pretty much impossible to try on before you buy.
    Silverlightning likes this.
    Consolidation complete! Down from 17 watches to 2 grails + 3 support
    Rolex Seadweller 16600 / ALS Saxonia / Casio Edifice (travel) / Hamilton Intramatic (ultra-thin dress) / Kadloo Match Race (tool)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm one that feel bad to use a sales person knowing they are personally investing their time, yet online feels like your only dealing with the big bad corp. plus even if shipping fees for returns are $15, gas ain't cheap nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverlightning View Post
    So what does anybody think, spend a little extra so you can experience it on your wrist first?
    I agree with trying it on before buying only if that entails "spending a little extra." If it entails spending a great deal more for the AD experience I'll shop online as long as they accept returns.

Caveat lector

Depends on how much you consider a 'little bit extra' is. Within 5% of grey market price in order to get a human relationship and OEM warranty with an AD would be my target
    Last edited by jt67; January 3rd, 2013 at 04:45.

Quote Originally Posted by NWP627 View Post
    I agree with trying it on before buying only if that entails "spending a little extra." If it entails spending a great deal more for the AD experience I'll shop online as long as they accept returns.

Good point, I think alittle extra is the key point here, nobody wants to pay 300% markup.
    Tag Heuer Formula 1, Bulova Marine Star, Orient Ray Black, Nixon Sentry
    Citizen Perpetual Calendar, Invicta Pro Diver,Timex Expedition Trailmate

If at all possible I try a watch on before I buy it, even if I don't buy from that AD. It takes away some of the bad surprises.
    Silverlightning likes this.

The paying a little extra option doesn't always apply especially if like me you dont have dealers locally, online is you're only option, so we rely on reviews, pics and opinions posted on sites like this

Yeah.

I cruise pawn shops. Sometimes, I find a good deal.

Either way, I try on what I want to try on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information