State of the Collection

Thread: State of the Collection

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

State of the Collection

Hello all, I've been collecting for awhile now and have amassed a few interesting pieces so I wanted to do a state of the collection. It's mostly affordables and I hope you find it interesting!

This one is a Frank Gehry watch that's made by Fossil. I bought this years ago before I was into watches based on the interesting way the time is written out. I have always been a fan of architecture and I thought that the Gehry watch was a neat idea.

This one was my first "real" watch, a Victorinox Day/Date Infantry model. It's huge at 44mm but I love the dial color and wrist presence. This was the first time I'd spent more than a $200 on a watch and really launched my interest in watches.

After purchasing the Victorinox and discovering Watchuseek's Chinese Mechanical Forum, I learned that I could own a mechanical watch at an affordable price point. Previous to this, my only exposure to mechanical watches were through my dad who owns Rolex, Omega, and Jaeger leCoultre watches. I decided on the following Sea-Gull watch thinking that my first mechanical watch should have an open heart so I can see the balance wheel and I thought the retrograde hands were a bit different.

Next, I discovered Perpetual and wanted to add one of those to my growing collection with their Regulator.

I thought it was about time to add a chronograph to the mix so I purchased an Alpha Newman.

After purchasing a few affordables I was now very sure that this was a hobby that I am serious about and was ready to own a nicer piece. I have always wanted an Omega Seamaster Pro having been introduced to them through the James Bond franchise. I thought for sure my first higher priced watch was going to be a blue bond SMP but after doing some research and visiting a few ADs, I discovered that James Bond had a new watch, the Planet Ocean. I really loved how simple and striking the design was.

Owning the Planet Ocean really opened up the floodgates and has got me considering pricepoints I never dreamed I would get to. I started to look at Rolex and Panerai as possible next purchases. I really considered the Rolex Milgauss GV but after trying it on, I realized that it was just too small and too shiny. I wasn't sure if I could pull off a huge watch like a Panerai Luminor so I started to look into homages so I could try out the style before making a very expensive mistake. I purchased this Getat homage and really fell in love with the style and feel of wearing such a big watch. I now know that a PAM 111 or PAM 177 is in my future.

Not having the funds at the moment to pick up a Panerai, I needed something to scratch the itch so I got this G-Shock. I went with an AnaDig since a digital watch was so far removed from my comfort zone. The geek in me really fell in love with the Solar and Atomic part of this watch. How cool is a watch that doesn't need batteries and is always accurate to the second?

Almost immediately, I felt like the AnaDig G-Shock was kind of a cop out. I though, if I was going to go digital, why not go all the way? The search began for a fully digital G-Shock to complement my other one. I decided to pick up a square, really liking the retro feel of it. I also decided on white figuring that I could use a very casual, fun watch.

So this brings me to today. Thanks for following me though to the end, I know it may not be the most interesting collection but I love every piece I own. I think its really interesting that I get as much joy wearing my $3500 Omega as I do my $100 Casio. I have enjoyed every minute of this hobby and I love that every day, I learn something new and discover a new watch to lust after. Here is the whole collection together in their home:
    Last edited by SectionEht; April 4th, 2010 at 05:27.

Re: State of the Collection

Really cool and diverse collection!
    G-Shock Frogman GWF-D1000B
    G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400
    G-Shock Mudmaster GWG1000-1A3
    G-Shock Rangeman GPS 35th anniversary Magma Ocean GPR-1JR

it's a different style of collection and i must admit that i like it. it says a lot about you; good for you brother
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great selection! A watch for every occasion.
    "No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzai

Nice collection and good luck with the PAM 111. Its on my wish list too
    Are you watching closely?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog:
    http://watchesindia.blogspot.com/
    Instagram: @crazystrobist

Nice group that was well presented!

Banned

I really like your collection so far. All of them stand out as very different in their design, style, and appropriate place to wear. I wish I'd spent more time thinking about that when I started my collection, instead of gathering largely the same type of watch. Good luck with the next purchase!

Nice collection and very diverse my friend! I have trimmed mine down to only a few now.
    "Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat"

Awesome collection. I really love the Frank Gehry watch.. very unique!!

v76

That's an interesting (and diverse) collection, thanks for sharing!
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information