State of collection
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: State of collection

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

State of collection

Background

Some years ago Seiko produced some large watches that the aficionados of the brand affectionately called Big Freaking Seikos or BFS. These were regular movement cased in 44mm steel cases with 24mm lugs. I actually liked them a lot and managed to get two of them. However when in my hands, while I loved the dial design, I was not thrilled about the case shape, it was not quite comfortable for me and I was not crazy about the the looks. I ended up selling both of them. But kept admiring the dial design.

Present time

Some months ago I was able to find a source for these dials and got them, one at the time, slowly as finances permitted. While doing this I started looking at a possible case that would match or at least look good with thos dials. I could not tell Seiko to make a new case for me so I had to choose between what was available. While Seiko does not make large cases generally I found some that at 42mm were at least not too small for me. These were watches made in Japan with a hacking and hand winding movement. I got the first one, put the bits together and decided it was a case good enough for the project. So i went ahead and, within a period of several months, got all 4 watches done.

Basic specs are 42mm in diameter, hardlex crystal, day/date window, 20mm lugs and a low profile. What I like a lot is the large crown which is easy to pull out and turn, also easy to handwind if needed. The WR is 100m so these are not divers, but I guess casual/sports watches with a touch of dressiness. Each comes with a bracelet but since they are all still wrapped up I decided to mount a Bond strap on them, it looks good to me and allows me to save the bracelet from scratches. Not that I have worn these too much actually, maybe twice in fact.

These are not high end watches and they are affordable to a degree, but in my eyes these are unique and in fact the only ones around in the whole world that I know of. I don't see them as modifications either, but more like new watches created by me for me.

The watches

The first one is a pilot looking watch with a classid black dial coming from the SNKF11 model watch and the hands of the SRP043, seconds hand is from a Seiko Stargate.

The second is also a pilot inspired watch, with a white dial from the SNKF09 model, the hands are from a Seiko FFF and the red seconds hand is from the SARB15 black Alpinist.

The third uses the dial that is a bit of a different design from the first two, the model is SNKF07 and the color is blue, the hands are the original ones from the SARZ05 base watch and the seconds hand is the milgauss one made by Yobokies. This is the only one that has a non Seiko part in it.

The last one uses the black dial of the SNKF05 model and the hands of the white Seiko Stargate with the addition of the seconds hand from the white Stargate.

These are not the only watches I have but they are one part of the collection that I consider being related to one another and for which I worked on as a project for a while, at this time this project is completed, all the watches are done at least as far as I wanted to do.

I hope I did not bore you with all the talking and all the pics... Anyway, below are a few family shots showing all the watches together. I hope you enjoy and sorry for the dust and lint.

Last edited by carlowus; June 26th, 2013 at 18:31.
    jah, jswing, npulaski and 5 others like this.

Re: State of collection

Very nice work, I like them....wear in good health.
    "Picking the lesser of 2 evils...is still evil"

Doxa 800TI Pro & 600T Pro & DivingStar
    Damasko DA45 & DA36 & DC56
    Muhle Glasutte SAR
    Citizen PMT56-27"Tough" & PMU56-23"Ray Mears"
    Marathon GSAR
    --Helson Shark Diver40
    Omega SMP & 120m Baby Ploprof & AT 2500 & AT Railmaster
    Tutima DI300 & Pilot FX--Oris BC Regulator--Aquadive BS100 Bronze
    Halios Tropik B green
    --Hamilton Navy Diver
    Jorg Schauer Kleine Durowe & Kulisse Ed. 12

I think I just may like Seiko's aviation dials better than Sinn's.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nice work Carlo, and thanks for taking the time to post it all. Very cool that were were able to put these together just as you wanted them. I like what you've done with each of them, and got a kick out of the milgaus seconds hand.

They're nice looking! Well done!
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Quote Originally Posted by jswing View Post
    Nice work Carlo, and thanks for taking the time to post it all. Very cool that were were able to put these together just as you wanted them. I like what you've done with each of them, and got a kick out of the milgaus seconds hand.
    Thank you all for the kind words. And thank you Jeff for kindly providing these Bond straps, they are just perfect for these watches in my opinion. They are handsome, good quality and very comfortable.

Great looking watches, nice job! The 2 pilot-inspired ones are my favorite, they turned out really well. Good lume too!
    Omega Speedmaster 3570.50 | Omega Seamaster 300 165.024 | Nomos Orion Ref. 309 | Helson Shark Diver 40 v2 (white)
    Seiko MM300 SBDX001 | Seiko Alpinist SARB017 | Seiko 5 SNK803 | Citizen EcoDrive Calibre 8700 | Citizen 8110 Bullhead

Super cool, all of them! But the first one on that brown leather strap is really killer! Nice work.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Thank you all. Yeah that vintage buffalo strap is nice and gives the watch a nice overall look.

Nice. I really understood the large size, when I saw all four spread out together. Amazing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information