Stauer watches

Thread: Stauer watches

Stauer watches

Any thoughts? I've seen advertisements for their 1779 skeleton (which I do like) for some time now in numerous magazines. At $100 it could be a decent buy. They also have a tourbilon at 2000 which isn't what I'd call cheap but I believe it is for a tourbilon correct?
    Invicta 8926
    clebar
    alsta

Re: Stauer watches

Pretty sure they're of Chinese origin, if that matters to you.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by Tragic View Post
    Pretty sure they're of Chinese origin, if that matters to you.
    Hi Tragic,

Stauer says they use classic automatic movements which makes me ...... if they are chinese and I have no doubts about that I don´t know what classic means. Well.....and they are made for the collectors all over the world.:oops:
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; December 30th, 2007 at 17:31.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well - there have been some interesting comments on watchnet about their service and quality. Use Google to search watchnet:
    http://www.google.com/search?as_q=st...s=&safe=images

I love my stauer, it has a Dixmont DG2803 movement in it. No problems here! and I"m a WIS.

My understanding is that they are produced in China with Swiss-manufactured machinery, often using Swiss designs for the movements. I also understand that quality control is sometimes a problem.

As for myself, I'm holding the line where it comes to Chinese watches. Ninety-nine percent of everything on store shelves these days is made in China. I don't want to give the watch market to the Chinese, as they've cornered the textile, clothing, electronics and steel markets.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Hi Tragic,

Stauer says they use classic automatic movements which makes me ...... if they are chinese and I have no doubts about that I don´t know what classic means. Well.....and they are made for the collectors all over the world.:oops:
    First, Stauer says they make them for collectors. They also imply a Swiss connection. All of their ads imply an historical connection and the "value" of their watches. You can add one to your collection for a fraction of the cost. Stauer puts much money and effort into the ads.
    Think of it this way: If someone sold a laptop for $29.99 would you be suspicious?A $2000 tourbillon is like this.
    Stauer is a Chinese watch, though they go to great lengths to imply that they are Swiss made. For our $30 laptop, what if I told you that the chips were made with equipment designed in Silicon Valley? Would you wonder if they cut corners somehow? Maybe used inferior materials, skimped on QC, or something?
    My first "nice" watch was a Stauer. Broken out of the box. Exchanged, and the next one's hands fell off two weeks later. Refunded.
    In my inexperience, I assumed that any watch that cost 2 or 3 hundred dollars must be nice.
    After a little research, I settled on Orient. Inexpensive automatic watches that are of high quality. There are of course other brands, like Seiko etc.
    I would put a $300 Orient against any Stauer all day long. I would put a $100 Orient against any Stauer.

I apologize to Stauer enthusiasts. If you like your watch, and it works for you, then great. Enjoy them in good health. I freely admit they are a nice looking watch.

Oh, and Stauers customer service was fantastic. They cheerfully sent a new watch before receiving the first one back, and then cheerfully refunded my money.

And I think that "classic" in this context means literally "nothing special".
    Like with everything else in their ads, it implies institutional history.
    Last edited by Tzimisces; June 19th, 2010 at 08:25.

Thread Information