Steel Rolex GMT Master II with Ceramic Pepsi Bezel?
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Steel Rolex GMT Master II with Ceramic Pepsi Bezel?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Steel Rolex GMT Master II with Ceramic Pepsi Bezel?

We've all seen the new white gold GMT II with ceramic Pepsi bezel insert, but is there any chance the ceramic Pepsi bezel will be released on a steel watch for us mere mortals who can't stomach the $30K price tag (or perhaps those of us who prefer steel over precious metal on a sports watch)? Could you replace the black and blue ceramic insert on a steel GMT II with a ceramic Pepsi bezel insert? Would an AD even be willing to do such a thing? I would love to own a steel GMT II with a ceramic insert, but I can't see myself owning one without the iconic Pepsi bezel insert. Any other thoughts on this topic?

Re: Steel Rolex GMT Master II with Ceramic Pepsi Bezel?

Not going to happen... it's not possible to buy the ceramic insert separately from the bezel itself, and the bezel is made of white gold, so even if it was available, it would be at an exorbitant price. Rolex very intentionally made this highly desirable color combination only available in precious metal, and it is part of their long standing strategy of differentiating their premium precious metal offerings in some noticeable way, be it in terms of design, as with the Day-Date President, SkyDweller, or in terms of color, with the smurf Submariner, or the Pepsi GMT.
    Last edited by mleok; April 5th, 2015 at 21:08.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Don't hold your breath.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I estimate that the odds of Rolex ever releasing a Pepsi SS GMT IIC are less then never.

However there is a very small chance they might release a Coke SS GMT IIC in the future. And if they ever do, I'll pounce on it like a Leopard Daytona.
    Last edited by T1meout; April 5th, 2015 at 21:13.
    Stellite likes this.

They cycle through these things. I mean, weren't there Pepsi 16710s being made just 10 years ago? In another 5 years we'll see it. They drive sales through novelty and they'll wait until the demand for a Pepsi bezel SS is at a fever pitch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banned

It could happen but somehow I doubt it. I doubt that they will even do a coke bezel since they already have batman. If they do a coke it will probably be in platinum, lol

Yeah, the odds are not good at all. Don't hold your breath.
    Jaeger Lecoultre Master Grande Ultra Thin Date, Bucherer Edition
    Rolex
    Sea Dweller 4000, ref 116600 / Datejust, ref 116234 / Milgauss, ref 116400
    Longines Conquest Heritage 1954-2014 (#13 of 60)
    Grand Seiko SBGA011 / SBGV005
    Seiko SBBN015
    Sinn 140 A (#087 of 500)
    + others...

Pepsi ceramic in stainless with Glidelock and no PCLs... I'd buy it in a heart beat, but it ain't going to happen.

What I don't understand is that a steel GMT II with ceramic Pepsi bezel would in no way diminish sales of a white gold version. The two are not in the same league when it comes to price and don't come close to competing for dollars. If they put out a steel version they would sell a TON, so all they are doing is keeping easy money out of their pockets. They already have the ceramic Pepsi bezel engineered and the case has already been designed, so there is literally zero R&D cost. From a purely economical standpoint, it is hard to believe that Rolex would sacrifice predictable profits and easy expansion of their product line simply for the sake of some ill-conceived notion of "exclusivity." Exclusivity certainly has its value, but it is doubtful that such value rivals the sure sales they would see from introducing a stainless steel model with ceramic Pepsi bezel. But most importantly, not having a stainless steel GMT with Pepsi bezel in the lineup (when it is clearly practical and profitable to do so) borders on sacrilege to many die hard GMT purists.
    lovebandit likes this.

What I don't understand is that a steel GMT II with ceramic Pepsi bezel would in no way diminish sales of a white gold version.
    It absolutely would. Gold Rolexes are less popular than steel ones, and you can bet that plenty of people who bought the canonical Pepsi GMT for $30,000 would have been just as happy to buy one for $9,000.

That said, offering unique precious-metal models as much about brand prestige as about making money. Rolex wants people to drool over expensive, desirable models. We'll only see a steel Pepsi GMT once demand has died down and Rolex has replaced it with an equally desirable precious-metal model. Plus, with Rolex barely able to keep steel BLNRs in stock, I doubt it sees any immediate need to improve its steel GMT offerings.

*edit* Note that the process for making a two-colour cerachrom bezel is even trickier than colouring just one half of it for the BLNR, so there would presumably be a price premium even beyond the extra for the BLNR. But, yeah, that'd still be far, far from $30,000.
    Last edited by Likestheshiny; April 6th, 2015 at 02:46.
    mleok and LesserBlackDog like this.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information