Steel sports chrono with a suit?
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Steel sports chrono with a suit?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Steel sports chrono with a suit?

Hey all, Young watch enthusiast and High school debater here. I'm wondering if it would be in good taste to wear my Seiko SND253 Flighty with a suit or if I should invest in something a bit dressier.

Re: Steel sports chrono with a suit?

at the end of the day, nobody really cares about the old "rules" of what watches work with a suit. on top of that, given your age, you have a ton of latitude about looking "professional". i.e. again, i don't think anyone is going to hold you to account for, say, your belt not matching your shoes. or just an okay job at tying your tie.

that said, if you're looking for an excuse to buy a new watch, then by all means!

the Hamilton Intramatic and Tissot Visodate are both reasonably-priced and excellent watches that will work with a suit.
    Perseus and brandon\ like this.

I pretty much just wear whatever watch I feel like in any occasion. A suit will certainly cover up a watch for the most part too. I also think most people don't notice or really care what you're wearing. I also think a black dial and bezel watch goes with anything as well.
    ..............Rolex
    Omega
    Breitling TAG Heuer
    Seiko Citizen G-Shock

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Depends where you're wearing the suit, and whom you're trying to impress while wearing it. 95% of the time, you can wear any watch that isn't absurdly giant and colorful. At cocktail hour, yeah, that watch is great. At work, use your judgement based on the fashion of the office and the potential conservatism of your boss (or boss's boss). At a funeral, leave the chrono off.

Would you wear a t-shirt and sneakers with your suit? Do you think it would look hip and trendy? If the answer is yes, then you can wear whichever watch you like with your suit.

I'm more traditional when it comes to formal attire. No chronos, divers, pilots etc., I choose a classic looking dress piece. Doesn't have to be expensive.
    Davidson likes this.

If that's your only watch, go for it. You're young and no one is going to give it a second thought (or a first). In our increasingly casualized society, classical rules of dress and decorum are dismissed in favor of personal comfort and individuality.

However, for an older gentleman and especially one who owns multiple watches, I believe sports watches with formal wear to be inappropriate. And that includes Submariners and the rest of the GADA fleet.

I think it would be fine, and the chrono could come in handy for timing debates.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Simple answer - it's fine. You are in high-school. Nobody is going to apply very high standard to your dress.

And in the real world - plenty of people wear sporty watches with suits. Indeed higher you go - more flexibility you have w dress code.
    Typically the watches are a bit more conservative - Rolex Daytona or AP ROO Chrono would probably work w suit in most situations.
    But even busy Seiko chronograph will be fine.
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

Yeah. There are no rules.

You can wear your nice conservative dress watch with t-shirt and jeans or your sports Sub with your suit and tie.

You are in high school. Any watch will work for you.

i have other watches so I personally would wear something else. But I could see myself wearing a chrono, depending on what it is, with a suit.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information